Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #7606
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
I'm not so much worried about spending the cash as I am in whether a full system will effect reliability. As in will the slight increase in power burn out components sooner? Thoughts on the reliability aspect?
The reliability of the gas tank and fender NOT melting should be just enough to convince you.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #7607
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,766
Quote:
I'm not so much worried about spending the cash as I am in whether a full system will effect reliability. As in will the slight increase in power burn out components sooner? Thoughts on the reliability aspect?
I imagine NOT having a thermonuclear reactor bolted to your bike will be a lot less likely to burn out components and ADD to reliability.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #7608
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
The increase in heat sure burns things out sooner. Look at it this way; Less weight on the rear end will make the rear tire last longer
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #7609
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
The increase in heat sure burns things out sooner. Look at it this way; Less weight on the rear end will make the rear tire last longer
Right on thx for all the feed back guys! I imagine by putting on a slip on opposed to replacing the entire exhaust system (like I originally planned) the same rules apply for removing the SAS. Am I correct?
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #7610
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,331
Quote:
Right on thx for all the feed back guys! I imagine by putting on a slip on opposed to replacing the entire exhaust system (like I originally planned) the same rules apply for removing the SAS. Am I correct?
IMO, the only reason to remove the SAS is if you are putting on a Safari tank, or the RR tanks. Other than that, there isn't much sense in trying to out think a team of Austrian Engineers.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:48 AM   #7611
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
IMO, the only reason to remove the SAS is if you are putting on a Safari tank, or the RR tanks. Other than that, there isn't much sense in trying to out think a team of Austrian Engineers.
who installed the SAS and Charcoal canister to comply with USA emmissions. Both systems can come off the bike with minimal impact.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #7612
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
I am going to be installing the Evo 2 RR tanks and fairings (head lamp, etc.) so now I'm a bit confused. I thought folks were getting rid of the SAS system when they upgraded the exhaust due to catalytic converter no longer being an issue. This is the first I've heard of the RR tanks affecting the SAS system. What's the connection there?
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #7613
Swap
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbugberg View Post
I love my Wings exhaust; second be mod I've made, the first being the suspension done by Stillwell performance. I always felt the front on my 2010 690 was harsh and didn't feel planted. Alan Stillwell worked his magic adding 0.54/100 springs (front/rear). This allowed the rear to sit properly and bias more weight to the front. The valving allows the wheels to move much faster over the ground providing more traction without chatter (I can actually accelerate on washboard without the back end neither packing nor swapping). It's almost like cheating over the rocks, the boingers are super compliant, rarely deflect, and make it so I almost don't have to pick a line; just pin it and plow over the crap. On the slab all the small chop is eliminated and the bike ride is more comfortable on longer rides. A huge improvement overall and no question a must do for riders that think their 690 is a dirt bike.

On another note, I had to cut my ride short due to a coolant leak between the case and the cylinder just below the exhaust port. Anyone else see leaking there?
Hi Bigbugberg
I'm interesting with your suspension mod
I'm looking for daily comfort , on the road, and the track, but not in competition way, sometime with luggage (giant loop) not so heavy
But I can't go to see Mr Alan Stillwell with my bike ! (Paris)
Do you know where I can find these 0.54/100 springs (front/rear)?
another pieces to change or to mod? valving, oil ?
is there a special kit for 690, and at what price ?
Thank's for your answer !
Swap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #7614
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
The other reason is if you do much work on your bike. The damn canister makes simple things like getting the radiator guards unbolted a real PITA.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #7615
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
The other reason is if you do much work on your bike. The damn canister makes simple things like getting the radiator guards unbolted a real PITA.
Never could be bothered to remove mine... doesn't weigh fuck all either.
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:42 AM   #7616
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swap View Post
Hi Bigbugberg
I'm interesting with your suspension mod
I'm looking for daily comfort , on the road, and the track, but not in competition way, sometime with luggage (giant loop) not so heavy
But I can't go to see Mr Alan Stillwell with my bike ! (Paris)
Do you know where I can find these 0.54/100 springs (front/rear)?
another pieces to change or to mod? valving, oil ?
is there a special kit for 690, and at what price ?
Thank's for your answer !
PM Sent

2013 Guzzi Stelvio
2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2009 KTM 400XCW Plated
Bigbugberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #7617
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,087
Quote:
I am going to be installing the Evo 2 RR tanks and fairings (head lamp, etc.) so now I'm a bit confused. I thought folks were getting rid of the SAS system when they upgraded the exhaust due to catalytic converter no longer being an issue. This is the first I've heard of the RR tanks affecting the SAS system. What's the connection there?

on the EVO 1 tanks the charcoal canister was in the way and had to be removed. The SAS valve wasn't an issue but becomes pointless if the stock Cat muffler is removed.

Install your EVO2 setup, remove the charcoal system and block off the old ports. I left the valve in place and left it hooked up but removed the hoses and have had no issue. I removed the fitting on the throttle body for the charcoal system and sealed it with a bolt.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #7618
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattewell View Post
Never could be bothered to remove mine... doesn't weigh fuck all either.
If I never worked on the bike I wouldn't bother taking it off either. Unfortunately, that's not the case for me. Taking it off permanently once, was much easier then taking it off and putting it back on every time I mess with the rad.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #7619
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,495
SAS removed and 2.2k ohm resistors put in place of the electro-valves, 1000s of miles later, still working as designed by me. Also crankcase vent system was altered to look like the RR system, works perfectly too and clearance to the RallyRaid EVO1 tanks is just fine. Granted, there is probably zero "performance" improvements by removing/altering these systems, it does make working on the engine easier and therefore worth it for me.

I also slotted the forward airbox mount tabs so I can remove the airbox without pulling the Rally tanks, which included cutting up a engineered design..... works better now with better engineering
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #7620
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I imagine NOT having a thermonuclear reactor bolted to your bike will be a lot less likely to burn out components and ADD to reliability.
Not really - Sherri Jo has plenty more km's on her 690 with a stock can. That said I have had both a Leo Vince and Akra on my 690's and couldn't be happier. Anybody want to buy some unused stock cans
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote