Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #7771
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
i have seen a few people mention KTM powerparts radiator guards.. i looked on the enduro and SMC parts pages but didnt see it.. any ideas?
Try part number 765359-40000 should give you what you're looking for.

ooopps Kingby beat me to it. $173.99 at a dealer in Ottawa.

CanadianX screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 12:48 PM
CanadianX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #7772
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,637
Radiator gaurd

If you are planning on mounting the Rally Raid tanks and/or fairing at anytime... I suggest using the Rally Raid radiator guard.

I tried to fit the KTM guard with the Rally Raid fairing and it wouldn't go together.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #7773
hobbes67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
If you are planning on mounting the Rally Raid tanks and/or fairing at anytime... I suggest using the Rally Raid radiator guard.

I tried to fit the KTM guard with the Rally Raid fairing and it wouldn't go together.
agree. I just installed EVO 2 kit tanks and fairing and I had to take the KTM radiator guard off, as it doesn't fit. The problem is the tank rather than the fairing, though...
hobbes67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #7774
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Trying to find out which hand guards with the aluminum back bone fit the 690. Is there a KTM part number or is the aftermarket the place I should be looking?
I have Barkbusters VPS on mine. They fit no problems
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #7775
kingby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Try part number 765359-40000 should give you what you're looking for.

ooopps Kingby beat me to it. $173.99 at a dealer in Ottawa.
Thanks, I'll check them out ... KTM Canada, in there wisdom, pulled both KTM dealerships in Newfoundland in the past year. There is no way to physically get to a dealer, without a plane or boat ride . Couple that with KTM Canada's agreement with KTM Austria/USA to not allow US dealers to ship to Canada and my choices are both limited and expensive (especially when you have no choice on shipping costs).

I understand KTM Canada protecting their dealer network, but they seam to be able to sabotage their dealers on their own, without my crossboarder shopping help .
kingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #7776
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingby View Post
Thanks, I'll check them out ... KTM Canada, in there wisdom, pulled both KTM dealerships in Newfoundland in the past year. There is no way to physically get to a dealer, without a plane or boat ride . Couple that with KTM Canada's agreement with KTM Austria/USA to not allow US dealers to ship to Canada and my choices are both limited and expensive (especially when you have no choice on shipping costs).

I understand KTM Canada protecting their dealer network, but they seam to be able to sabotage their dealers on their own, without my crossboarder shopping help .
Tons of people headed to the rock this summer I'm sure you could get some one to bring one over for you. Check out the Canadian regional forum.
CanadianX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #7777
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme

Oddometer: 301
RIP Beaney.
A little piece of you resides in my ECU...

2013 Guzzi Stelvio
2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2009 KTM 400XCW Plated
Bigbugberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #7778
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,702
Tradgic news about Beaney. This video is deadicated to another fallen rider but captures the essance of motorcyling. My sympathies to his family

Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:51 PM   #7779
Humanbeingexpert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Beautiful video in very many ways
Humanbeingexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #7780
Reshad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Fuel filter after the pressure regulator, outside the tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostridergary View Post
I've seen lots of posts about in tank and outside tank filters and their benefits.

Could someone explain to me the rationale for why the filter is between the pump and the regulator - presumably there is a reason for having it there rather than where the disconnect is (outside the tank)?

The fuel going to the regulator from the pump has already passed through the mesh screen before entering the pump so why does it need to be filtered again? Is the regulator that sensitive?

Why not just connect the pump to the regulator (without the filter) and put a filter in place of the disconnect?

Any explanations appreciated........
Why inside the tank, IMHO: It's neater..less fuel lines in the nest that is already present; could prevent damage to a plastic filter outside of tank...thus a plastic instead of metal filter can be used=lower KTM manufacturing costs; the majority of KTM users will probably opt for their dealer to remove/replace=more $ for KTM dealers.

I once inquired into moving the filter out of the tank on my Duke, and so I was told: fuel pressure at the exit of the pressure regulator could drop too low for the injector to function properly, possibly leading to fueling issues.

The fact that quite a few 690 users have already done this mod on their bikes with so far no apparent ill effects may suggest the filter doesn't reduce the pressure enough to cause a fueling issue. Then again, with continued use, when the filter begins to clog, it may become an issue, though easily solved by replacing the filter.

It would be nice if those who have done that mod would report back on any fueling issues observed i.e. leaning out, starting issues, etc, and this over time... Would then be able to determine an approximate service interval for the filter, which KTM have omitted in the repair manual/service schedule.
Reshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:44 AM   #7781
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes67 View Post
agree. I just installed EVO 2 kit tanks and fairing and I had to take the KTM radiator guard off, as it doesn't fit. The problem is the tank rather than the fairing, though...
I simply cut the OEM guard until it fitted.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 AM   #7782
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Wesley Beane,words & pictures.

Now we have returned to the UK,I have had tiime to speak to Deborah,Wes's partner & her family, regarding the tragic & untimely death of our friend Wesley.

Wesley went to the event with the intention of winning,as he was leading last year when he crashed and broke his collarbone.To Wes,every event was possible to win,as his talents on a motorcycle shone through in every discipline.

Since starting out as a young boy,urged on by his parents,Don & Michelle,along with his grandparents Bert & Sylvia,who always attended many events,he progreesed through the local & national trials scene in the UK to become British A Class champion( 16 year old).

He then went on to win many Centre events,in his own determined fashion,never taking the easy option,or even other's advice.

His mother Michelle was a regular trials rider,who unfortunately died when Wes was 13 years old.Whilst his father,Don,was a talented trials & enduro rider,and rode in ISDT and supported KTM team in late 70's.He continued to ride regularly up until his death at the Alto Turia Rallye in Spain in 2002,at the age of 62 years.

I rode with Don at a few events,in Ireland,with TORC Enduro Club,and had some great times there.
After winning many trials as a teenager,Wes moved on to 4WD events,and again climbed up the ranks to succeed at a very high level.,alongside learning to shoot clay's,again to a high standard.His ability to shut out external interruptions(which often meant friends comments or suggestions) and his focus on learning a new technique,meant he seemed to quickly master anything he tried.

After Don's death,Wes inherited Don's KTM 400 and turned his hand to enduro's,which again,he mastered using his fabulous trials technique,and progressed rapidly to Expert.We had many good times at Welsh 2-Day & Natterjack Enduro's,and his determination to win was always present,and his demeanor could be frustrating at times,but also a cause for amusement to others.

After I had done a couple of Tuareg Rallies,Wes bought an LC640 Adventure and came to the Tuareg,and again,quickly mastered the whole roadbook/navigation technique.His riding in the dunes was a pleasure to watch,with his trials background,he made it look effortless.

Over the next couple of years,we developed the KTM 690 Enduro into a Rally machine,and this started the Rally-Raid Products business,which has flourished,using many of his ideas.

Wes,aka Beaney,to the ADV Rider fraternity,was a wealth of knowledge on the 690,spending many hours with EFI software,but that was him,he would grab any new subject,and commit totally to it until he had mastered it.Which at times could be frustrating to others around him,but that was Wes.......

I spoke with Deb yesterday,and although Wes's accident was that,a tragic racing accident,it will be very difficult to come to terms with,but for Wes winning was everything,and every metre counted.

After loosing another of our close friends and riding partner,Gordon MacPherson,recently on Heroes Legend,it has become very difficult to assess things,regarding the whole rally scene,we all know the risks when we enter these events,and I am sure that these same riders,from all around the world,who we meet at these events,are also the ones who we shall turn to for support,as we are all friends in sport............

I shall leave the thread back to others now,but here are a few pictures of Wes's background.....

Wesley's Mum at local trial 1960's
Wes riding his dad's KTM 400 at Welsh 2-Day Enduro( I still have that bike)

Styling it at Tuareg in Morocco 2012

Team Brown at Tuareg Rallye 2012

John Mitchinsom,Wesley Beane & George Dennison at Tuareg 2013

Wesley,his last day,focused as ever,out for the win............

Our thoughts are with Deb and her family,along with his grandparents Bert and Sylvia.
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:09 AM   #7783
-KATO-
'690R'

Oddometer: 859
Thumb cheers..

Thank you for that.

Condolences to all family and friends.

Ride on Wesley..

Quote:
Originally Posted by james928
Great looking machine, enjoy your new shiny KTM. I tried catching the old dingo on one during the sunny coast ride. It was a great bike, the only thing faster was KATO on his well worn and amazingly sideways in 4th 690.

-KATO- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:02 AM   #7784
hobbes67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
I simply cut the OEM guard until it fitted.
We tried to trim them, and it worked until we installed the fairing frame on the upper radiator bolt, but then, when installing the tanks we had to remove them (the OEM metal radiator guards, that are a KTM accessory)
Would you mind posting pics of how you cut them?

thank you
Gianluca
hobbes67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:54 AM   #7785
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Trying to find out which hand guards with the aluminum back bone fit the 690. Is there a KTM part number or is the aftermarket the place I should be looking?
Ktm has guards as well, but I can't find the part # anymore, sorry about that. I remember it was a pita to find the correct nr's, as they weren't listed for the 690.

LethPhaos screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 04:58 AM Reason: better pic
LethPhaos is online now   Reply With Quote