Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2011, 03:05 AM   #766
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Eventually some Malaysian mechanics replaced with a KLR ignition.
This is the worst thing done to a KTM I've ever heard...
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:14 AM   #767
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
Yeah, unfortunately that happens.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:31 AM   #768
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
so does tunecu software, free, and a lot more and versatile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
you need the connection cable and the software is either inexpensive or free...i have only used a friends. it works well at tuning the stock computers.
I'm happy that there is an alternative that doesn't require me to reprogramme my ECU. In a lot of countries reprogramming would leave you with no recourse under warrentee. Its tricky to uninstall software if the ECU stops working. The accellerator module is completely removable. I'm fitting a vortex once out of warrentee.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:42 AM   #769
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
you lose your warrenty by installing a diffrent pipe and NOT mapping for it...
Old 11-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #770
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
These are better.
IMG_2544
Interested in these as well!
Please let us know the vendor.

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #771
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
Ryman,
I forgot who made those for you? Cost and time to receive?
I'm going to try the other ones out first, the bigger platform might work better for me than just the wider only ones like you have. I typically ride with soft sole combat or assualt boots so without a steel shank need a more solid/fatter platform.
I have these:
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/footpeg.html

and absolutely love 'em.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #772
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
you lose your warrenty by installing a diffrent pipe and NOT mapping for it...

there is a law that dictates coverage with warranties. I don't remember why it was created exactly but it had to do with warranty companies dropping coverage for silly things.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #773
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
there is a law that dictates coverage with warranties. I don't remember why it was created exactly but it had to do with warranty companies dropping coverage for silly things.
In the U.S its the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #774
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon View Post
In the U.S its the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
cool thanks. I seem to remember it has to do with customers doing their own oil changes and the manufacturers trying to void the warranty.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #775
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
cool thanks. I seem to remember it has to do with customers doing their own oil changes and the manufacturers trying to void the warranty.
Not just oil changes, but service work in general. We don't have that here in Europe, so if you want the warranty to be valid, you gotta have the bike serviced at an authorized dealer/service point.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #776
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Not just oil changes, but service work in general. We don't have that here in Europe, so if you want the warranty to be valid, you gotta have the bike serviced at an authorized dealer/service point.
I can see a manufacturer protecting their dealer network by requiring all services be done through them. It does sort of make sense that if everyone used a dealership it would in turn keep the prices for services reasonable but that would be in a perfect world.

The reality is that it's a pain getting the bike dropped off, dealers in the US are horribly unscrupulous and the work performed is usually pretty shabby. I've never had a bike return from a dealership without something amiss that I needed to rectify.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #777
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
I can see a manufacturer protecting their dealer network by requiring all services be done through them. It does sort of make sense that if everyone used a dealership it would in turn keep the prices for services reasonable but that would be in a perfect world.

The reality is that it's a pain getting the bike dropped off, dealers in the US are horribly unscrupulous and the work performed is usually pretty shabby. I've never had a bike return from a dealership without something amiss that I needed to rectify.
Have always done my own work on bike, until now as decided to keep my warranty for a while her in EU. Can't say enough about the dealer I have here. One man business who rides and takes real pride in his work and rates are very low. On the other hand, I do recall stopping at a dealer in TX needing a new plug for my YZ426 years back. Thought stuff it, I'll let them fit while I shopped for some gear. 45 mins later the mechanic came to me and started telling me he thought there was a bigger problem as the bike would not start. Went with him into the shop, told him to change the plug again and let me start it. New plug, fired up first kick. He was astounded and said they had tried for 15 min. I asked him how he tried to start it, as if the exact starting procedure is not followed (Yamaha even made a video to show how this done), it'll never start. The mech had not followed the procedure and fouled the plug. Cost of me educating the dealer $75 in labour!! Out-freekin-rageous ripoff. 1 hour to change a plug? Glad they're not my pit crew. Needless to say, never saw any more of my business and the pair of boots and gear I picked out didn't get purchased.

On the ignition, had a similar issue with my WR450. Drove me nuts, but eventually traced it to the ignition switch. Thankfully had a spare handy and swapped it out. Problem solved in my case. Hope Cranks is just as easy
www.airborneriders.com

blakrj screwed with this post 11-07-2011 at 10:57 AM Reason: Damn ipad
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #778
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,080
SAS removal

Was doing some work on my newly acquired 990 Supermoto R and had some SAS removal parts left so figured I'd use those parts and finally remove the SAS on my 690r. Not so fast! Blockoff plates for the 990 do not fit the 690 as the 690 has a different shaped plate. I fashioned a crude plate out of aluminum sheet metal and put it between the engine and the OEM SAS cover. Seems to work fine. Also I had these nice pre-made resistors for the 990 that also do not fit the plug for the 690! I tried running the bike without the resistor and got no FI light-probably because I turned off the SAS using tune ecu a long time ago. I was searching the internet for a SAS removal kit for the 690 but could not find one.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #779
gbx2001
Geophiz

Oddometer: 98
Best assortment of Torx nuts and bolts for KTM 690R

I am looking for an assortment of KTM-style Torx headed cap screws (bolts) and nuts, spacers, washers etc. to compliment them. I have asked at some local bolt houses but have yet to see a kit containing a decent assortment with Torx heads.

At a local KTM dealer I recently saw an assortment for the SX and XC which appear to have some common sizes. Are there are any better nut and bolt kits out there (with Torx) for the 690R than this kit?

Thanks.

gbx2001 screwed with this post 11-07-2011 at 02:20 PM
gbx2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #780
Louisdut
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
SAS removal

Hi all

Whats the advantages/disadvantages of removing the SAS ? and if there are advantages +1 on a kit and some help with what I need to do any links ?

Cheers

Louis
Louisdut is offline   Reply With Quote