Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 06:32 AM   #7876
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
OK you win junior. Now go joust at another windmill.
Sure thing gramps.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #7877
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
err, 8.8 is what i call coca cola can material :-)

The RR top bolts are sure stronger, but the side panels dont fit as they should with it.. I replaced them not knowing, but if i did know, i'd have stuck with stock.
I never noticed this. In fact, you might be first person to ever mention this.

I really like the fact that there is a nut on the RR bolts and you don't have to rely on a torx driver. I also really like the fact that they don't break. I'll take "ill fitting" side panels over broken tank bolts any day.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #7878
Harpoonalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Well then you've got a light bike...sorta. My GS's are both 475. The Ducati a bit less. All more than a KTM 500 or the 690. So your 425 lb Gixxer is a pig or a fairy, depending. It's all relative....my only point.
I got your point right away!
Harpoonalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #7879
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
from reading thru many posts here a lot of people buy the RR product and a lot replace the original cheese bolts for those with a better material spec as originals are crap.

try a 8.8 spec bolt instead - same for the lower bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
err, 8.8 is what i call coca cola can material :-)

The RR top bolts are sure stronger, but the side panels dont fit as they should with it.. I replaced them not knowing, but if i did know, i'd have stuck with stock.
The difference in the RR tank bolts is not just the grade or strength of the bolts, if you look at there design they put the load on the bolt in a different way, that is the main difference.
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #7880
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 716
Vortex ECU settings

How can I safely change it to leaner without a dyno sniffer? Bike is my new to me 2010 690 ER with the Vortex ECU, FMF can and foam air filters. (The stock ECU is still there but I guess it's irrelevant...just along for the ride...right?)

It runs like a scalded dog. But it uses too much gas...between 35 and 38 mpg depending and I'm not the hardest rider around by any means. The three mixture settings on the Vortex are at 3-3-3, which is the leanest the instructions say I should go unless I have a sniffer. I don't.
The can exhibits a bit of black soot and a riding buddy said he could smell it....smells like too rich.

So I'm thinking to turn the three mixture screws to 2-2-2 and ride a tankful. Comments?

One other question. The 15 minute idle thing. After changing the Vortex, should I do the 15 min idle?

Thanks.
'11 WR250R
'88 R100RS
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #7881
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
How can I safely change it to leaner without a dyno sniffer? Bike is my new to me 2010 690 ER with the Vortex ECU, FMF can and foam air filters. (The stock ECU is still there but I guess it's irrelevant...just along for the ride...right?)

It runs like a scalded dog. But it uses too much gas...between 35 and 38 mpg depending and I'm not the hardest rider around by any means. The three mixture settings on the Vortex are at 3-3-3, which is the leanest the instructions say I should go unless I have a sniffer. I don't.
The can exhibits a bit of black soot and a riding buddy said he could smell it....smells like too rich.

So I'm thinking to turn the three mixture screws to 2-2-2 and ride a tankful. Comments?

One other question. The 15 minute idle thing. After changing the Vortex, should I do the 15 min idle?

Thanks.
I don't think going from 3 to 2 will make the bike too lean. Do you know what maps are in the Vortex? With the Vortex no 15 min idle. I went back and forth with Vortex a couple of times to get the right maps in the right order for my bike with the map switch they offer. All good now. I am surprised the stock ECU is still there. There are two of them. If this ECU is still plugged in then it must be the smaller one. I would remove it. These days they put 5 maps for open airbox and 5 maps for closed airbox. I asked them to do an economy map too. Have not tested it yet.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #7882
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Originally Posted by JustBob
Well then you've got a light bike...sorta. My GS's are both 475. The Ducati a bit less. All more than a KTM 500 or the 690. So your 425 lb Gixxer is a pig or a fairy, depending. It's all relative....my only point.

Yep....my GS is a Fairy Pig:

But when I get on my 690....it is a Rocket Pig:

And when I get on my 450, it is a nuclear pig:

Just love riding those pigs

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #7883
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,382
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #7884
JustBob
Uh...who me?

'11 WR250R
'88 R100RS
Old 03-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #7885
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
I don't think going from 3 to 2 will make the bike too lean. Do you know what maps are in the Vortex? With the Vortex no 15 min idle. I went back and forth with Vortex a couple of times to get the right maps in the right order for my bike with the map switch they offer. All good now. I am surprised the stock ECU is still there. There are two of them. If this ECU is still plugged in then it must be the smaller one. I would remove it. These days they put 5 maps for open airbox and 5 maps for closed airbox. I asked them to do an economy map too. Have not tested it yet.
I may have this wrong in saying that I still have the stock ECU. What I have is the Map-Select switch under the seat. I haven't done anything with it, so maybe the ECU (wherever it is) isn't there? The X10 ECU settings in the instructions say it's for the Enduro-Open airbox, release 4, 28-4-11.Vecu1. It then gives a list of maps. Mine is set at X10 position 1 which says "Power Map1 (Softer initial throttle). Other options are for Traction, torque, power with variIous descriptors. Right now I'd just like to get some better mileage without hurting the motor. Should I dial back the fuel trim settings on all three throttle ranges to 2-2-2? This gives Base minus 7.5%.
'11 WR250R
'88 R100RS
Old 03-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #7886
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
Maybe best thing to do is send an e-mail to Richard Muurling at Vortex in Australia with your question and all the details you mentioned here. He may take awhile to reply but he always gives informative answers.

richard@vortexcdi.com

If all the maps are for an open air box then the bike would run rich with the foam air filters.

The last option would be to send the Vortex ECU to Mike Tolle in California to get proper maps for your bike setup. He charged me $100 to do that so not cheap.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #7887
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Thumb

Thanks for that. I'll contact Richard first.
'11 WR250R
'88 R100RS
Old 03-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #7888
bayarearider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Issue with rear break pedal M10 special screw

After noticing a drop in rear brake pressure, when I removed this M10 special screw (KTM#76513057100) it was broken in half and the other half got basically stuck in the round piece ( looks like a nut) that's on the foot rest bracket. I then had it looked by a mechanic and he wasnt able to pull the rest of the broken screw out of it. I looked at the parts list and called KTM and went back and forth and concluded that the round nut like looking piece cannot be ordered separately and the only alternative is to order the entire right side foot rest bracket (KTM#7650303904401S). I have the cleanspeed break pedal if it matters.

Does anyone here offer any feedback on how to solve this. For now I have ordered the entire right side foot rest bracket. Below is the parts diagram from the manual. The part 6 is the special screw, part 4 are the 2 slide bearings and the screw goes into the round looking thing in the footrest bracket (if you follow the dotted line all the way to the footrest bracket).

Below is another view of the footrest bracket labelled as 17.

bayarearider screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 08:39 PM Reason: added photo
bayarearider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #7889
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarearider View Post
After noticing a drop in rear brake pressure, when I removed this M10 special screw (KTM#76513057100) it was broken in half and the other half got basically stuck in the round piece ( looks like a nut) that's on the foot rest bracket. I then had it looked by a mechanic and he wasnt able to pull the rest of the broken screw out of it. I looked at the parts list and called KTM and went back and forth and concluded that the round nut like looking piece cannot be ordered separately and the only alternative is to order the entire right side foot rest bracket (KTM#7650303904401S). I have the cleanspeed break pedal if it matters.

Does anyone here offer any feedback on how to solve this. For now I have ordered the entire right side foot rest bracket. Below is the parts diagram from the manual. The part 6 is the special screw, part 4 are the 2 slide bearings and the screw goes into the round looking thing in the footrest bracket (if you follow the dotted line all the way to the footrest bracket).
You do know that the bolt is left hand thread correct?
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:24 AM   #7890
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
any positive/negative comments about the cleanspeed brake pedal ?

http://www.cleanspeedeng.com/Brake%20Pedal.htm

cheaper than the RR version and different milling design.
Have it and it's awesome. I've crashed on that side since installing it and it held up beautifully. I'll take this opportunity to remind you of the reverse threaded bolt that holds the lever on.

Jeff
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote