Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #7921
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 4,078
It is a remote mode switch for the speedo unit. It allows for incrementing + and - on trip 2. Used mostly on Enduro or other events that run a rollchart. When I installed mine I noticed it also activated a stopwatch function as well. That is on my 2009 with the small digital instrument panel. Not sure if anything exra works on the big panel with tach.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #7922
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by touser View Post
Ok, I'll ask at the risk of ridicule. What is a tripmaster switch and what does it do mon?

The tripmaster switch came to life back when they were selling the 950 and the 640 adventure. The speedometer they came equipped with had an option for a thumb switch that had 3 buttons on it. 1 button for mode, and 2 buttons for incrementing and decrementing one of the trip odometers.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #7923
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpaman View Post
Hi all. A friend of mine has a 2008 690E and on a ride in Utah last year the bike developed an intermittent problem where after the engine had been shut off it would not start again. We figured it was probably one of the safety switches, either kickstand or clutch. We started at the clutch safety switch and after pulling it apart and cleaning it the bike started right up. Problem solved..maybe not. The bike did this again during the ride and we employed the same fix with good enough results to finish the ride. When my friend got home he had another similiar incident so his mechanic cut the safety switch and jumpered it to remove it from the system and as we know from other posts, this misguided shortcut caused other problems. On the advice of the inmates here, the old switch was spliced back in and the bike is running fine. My friend is certain that Murphy's Law is going to strike again and leave him stranded out in the pickertoolies. With my keen sense of the obvious, I suggested a replacement of the old clutch safety switch with a new one, but I would like to solicit advice from the experience of everyone here if this would be the right fix? The previous owner has told him that the kickstand safety had been removed and replaced with the KTM kit. Is there something else that he should be looking at here also? Thanks for the help.
When the bike doesn't start, do you hear the fuel pump prime sound when turning the key switch to on before pressing the start button? If not, the bike will not start and you likely have fuel pump issues. Mine would always eventually start after waiting an unspecified time period. I eventually fixed the problem (as others have) by replacing the fuel pump. Read: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641042
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #7924
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

All the clutch safety switch does is to prevent you from starting the bike in gear if the clutch is out. It shouldn't cause the bike to stop running and as long as the clutch lever is pulled in it will start in gear.

The side stand switch will keep the bike from starting and it is worth installing the eliminator.

Otherwise your friend might be having issues with the leads on the coil or is having fuel pump issues.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 03-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #7925
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
steering locks

So it looks like on my 2013 that the stops could be closed in a bit to offer more movement lock to lock? Any negative to doing this?

Thanks
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #7926
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
So it looks like on my 2013 that the stops could be closed in a bit to offer more movement lock to lock? Any negative to doing this?

Thanks
Nope. Close it up. Mind the radiator or any other interference.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #7927
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 4,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post

Thanks
I took the jam nuts out and bottomed the stop bolts to go in as far as I could. Only thing that touches is my turn signal on the Safari tank.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #7928
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,289
Just buy the "other racks" Velcro/D rings and your in business...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
Are there any problems with wolfman bags fitting onto touratwat racks? Or do you need to weld loops onto the racks?

sent using my fingers and voodoo magic.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #7929
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
I took the jam nuts out and bottomed the stop bolts to go in as far as I could. Only thing that touches is my turn signal on the Safari tank.

Thanks to both you and Ramjet for the responses-will get that done tomorrow.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #7930
fluff34567
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
Just buy the "other racks" Velcro/D rings and your in business...

thanks
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:16 AM   #7931
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
All the clutch safety switch does is to prevent you from starting the bike in gear if the clutch is out. It shouldn't cause the bike to stop running and as long as the clutch lever is pulled in it will start in gear.

The side stand switch will keep the bike from starting and it is worth installing the eliminator.

Otherwise your friend might be having issues with the leads on the coil or is having fuel pump issues.
It also lets the ECU switch to a different fuel map.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #7932
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GezwindeSpoed View Post
It also lets the ECU switch to a different fuel map.

Well yes it does that too...I think I might have written the book on that one

But from a no start condition it wont cause the bike not to start. If you suspect the switch to be bad...shift the bike to neutral and see if it starts.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #7933
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Well yes it does that too...I think I might have written the book on that one

But from a no start condition it wont cause the bike not to start. If you suspect the switch to be bad...shift the bike to neutral and see if it starts.

Sorry, new owner here - but the clutch switch controls whether the ECU can switch to a new map? Is there a reason these are interconnected?
sprouty115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #7934
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
Sorry, new owner here - but the clutch switch controls whether the ECU can switch to a new map? Is there a reason these are interconnected?
The clutch switch does not switch to a different map but it does affect how the bike runs. The only way to switch to an entirely new map is to shut off the bike, change the setting under the seat, and restart the bike. The clutch switch does something to affect throttle movement or ignition..not sure what but I do know the bike likes to stall and run poorly if you splice the switch.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #7935
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,560
Interesting. Thanks.
sprouty115 is online now   Reply With Quote