Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #8401
practicalshooter
Posteriophobiac

Oddometer: 154
I finally got mine to start again yesterday, after a long winther inactive.

Had to use a trailer to get it home after the last trip in the autumn, and as it was snowing I havent bothered to try to figure it out very intensly - my garage is not heated. I decided straight away it looked like a pump/filter issue, and decided to start by changing both and get some proper fuel hose in there at the same time.

This is where the first nightmare started... I think I made 50 phonecalls trying to source some SAE30R10 compliant submersible fuell hose, first in Norway then in Europe. No luck. Most people didnt have a clue to what I was talking about ("surely you can use 30R6 submergedm it's designed to withstand fuell"). Readily available, if a bit expencive in the US, it's simply not possible to get here. Lots of US dealers online, none of whom I found that both had the right hose in stock AND were willing to ship to Europe.

In the mean time I had the injector cleaned, and even if it wasnt completely cloged, it by no means produced the nice fine mist it should.

In the end I emailed James Renazco, and he helped me by ordering the hose for me in the US and then mailing it to me. That's what I call custommer service

Thanks James!

Anyway, got it all together yesterday, and hooked up TuneECU.

"Failure in ambient pressure sensor, or sensor short to gorund" (from memory).. anyone seen that before? couldnt find any reference to it at all. In the end, I changed the plug and away it went.... Spoke to a norwegian KTM mecanic and he had spent a full two days figuring that code out before he tried that.

Anyway, in the end it started. Now it's back out to refit all the stuff that have been stripped in the process, cleaning properly and just maybe a small testflight

BTW, the insulation on the wires from the alternator to the coil were almost burnt through by the exhaust, worth checking for everyone I guess.

/D
Old 04-23-2013, 05:39 AM   #8402
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
If you wind up with redundant working instrument clusters, let me know. I need one - white powder from hell, and flickering LCDs so bad I never know how much too fast I'm going.
I pulled mine apart & cleaned out the white powder .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #8403
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,087
I got a new speedo from the dealer...in the months it took to do so I fixed my own. The powder comes from the the printed plastic breaking loose of a mounting pin and then chaffing on the lcd. My fix was crude but worked well. I simple took it apart, carefully popped the speedo needle off and cut the plastic window out of the printed piece (the plastic window that sits above the LCD panel). Cleaned all the powdered plastic out and reassembled...put some silicon sealer on the missing pin. It wasn't a perfect fix but it stopped the vibration and the display was readable again.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #8404
KC-10ENG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Anyone ever have a rear brake lock up on them??

I just got back from a 2-day ride and everything was fine. I unloaded the bike at a friends house and rode home approx. 2 miles. By the time I got home the rear brake was locked almost to the point that I could not move the bike. Rear brake lever had zero travel in the driveway. I had to bleed the rear brake to get the bike rolled into the garage.

Any in-sight into this problem would be great.

Thanks
KC-10ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #8405
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
I pulled mine apart & cleaned out the white powder .
I've cleaned it twice, but that doesn't solve the flickering LCD - which is the primary function of the speedo.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #8406
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,454
Yes, in fact. I had this happen on the front brake of a CB750 not long after I bought it.

My theory is that some water gets into the system, and causes a bit of rust or corrosion in the caliper, causing it to drag. The heat rises until it creates steam, which expands in the caliper, forcing the piston harder and harder against the rotor until it won't turn.

If this isn't true, it ought to be.

The solution is complete replacement of the brake fluid -- clean everything with alcohol prior to reassembly and leave to dry overnight or blow dry with compressed air. And check your caliper for cleanliness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-10ENG View Post
Anyone ever have a rear brake lock up on them?? ...I had to bleed the rear brake to get the bike rolled into the garage.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #8407
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
I've cleaned it twice, but that doesn't solve the flickering LCD - which is the primary function of the speedo.
Flickering is the primary function? hmmm mine must be defective.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 04-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #8408
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:

I just got back from a 2-day ride and everything was fine. I unloaded the bike at a friends house and rode home approx. 2 miles. By the time I got home the rear brake was locked almost to the point that I could not move the bike. Rear brake lever had zero travel in the driveway. I had to bleed the rear brake to get the bike rolled into the garage.

Thanks
Please indicate which year bike you have and if you have changed out the stock lever or not.

The stock brake lever setup uses a bushing for a pivot..the early bikes were just metal and the later were plastic. This area gets full of dust/dirt/mud etc and the pedal starts to bind. So you use the pedal and it actually sticks on...this in turn heats up the brake rotor, pads, and fluid and causes the fluid to boil. So when your pedal pops back the system is cooked and you have a floppy pedal.

Thats my guess

Old 04-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #8409
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,495
Quote:

Thanks
My 08 was doing this, was related to the bushing area of the lever pivot being fouled with crap and the lever would stick down holding the rear brake on. I also had bent and straightened lever several times so I ended up replacing the lever assembly with this billet one from ADVmachines For the 08-10 bikes it does require changing the bolt out to the newer style. It was a complete transformation of the feel of the rear brake on my 690.

Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #8410
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,769
Quote:

Thanks
Common problem with the 08's, Metal bushing at the brake pivot is binding. You can get the plastic replacement bushing that KTM has now that supersedes the metal one, or you can buy an aftermarket brake lever that comes with a bearing. You can hit it with WD 40 or some other spray lube every time you ride while you wait on the new bushing. Oh, and the pivot bolt is left handed threads.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #8411
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,378
Quote:

Thanks
I know you already have to cleanspeed lever.
On the same rides with you.
I had mine fade away half way down that mountain going into Bishop. I do not know what fluid was in there before. I did a fluid flush with fresh DOT 5.1 fluid. I suggest you do the same for your issue. I compressed the caliper full travel as well to clean that fluid out of there.
I do a fluid flush on my brakes and the Clutch at least twice a year.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #8412
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme

Oddometer: 291
Extended Warranty!!

My story begins with HOLY CRAP!
Last year I bought my 2010 690 with 700 miles on it and an extended warranty. It was such a great deal I had to strike. Over the past year I done some single track, dual sports, long slab, everything, and the more I dished it out, the more she took it. Then I noticed after about 2000 miles a small coolant leak at the base gasket between the case and the cylinder just under the exhaust port. Wasn't bad, didn't seem to be losing coolant. No worries. The last ride I checked and saw the leak was bad; dripping down off my skid plate. I opted to slab back home rather than do the next 12 miles of sand wash jacking my engine temps. Then I said, well this thing is going into the shop. I could to the gasket myself but if it's covered by the extended warranty, why not have someone else tear my ride down to its essence. They confirmed the leak and the repair was covered. They put it back together and tested it. Leaked again, same spot. Tore it down once more and inspected mating surfaces. The cylinder was cracked!!! Now I'm waiting for the warranty adjuster to OK the new repair. The dealer says KTM won't allow them to just replace the cylinder so it needs a new top end! HOLY CRAP!!! I can't wait to see this bill (that I won't be paying for!). I don't like the idea of someone else fooling around with my girl, but this time I'm glad they are!

2013 Guzzi Stelvio
2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2009 KTM 400XCW Plated
Bigbugberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #8413
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
I have just replaced my RR Twin Air kit with a Unifilter ...

Thanks, Hoots. I've corresponded with Noah as well and it looks like I'll go with the Unifilter also.

Much ado about nothing I guess.

C
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #8414
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:

Yup. Had the same on the WABDR last year. We did a little diversion to a dealer somewhat en route and they took it apart to clean it up. Worked fine after that but I do plan to replace it with an aftermarket piece.

C
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #8415
slidefighter
Gather it up, keep on...

Oddometer: 276
Not sure about the interior diameter of the fuel hoses on the 690. Looking to replace the submersed hoses with teflon.

thanks...

Lee...

"Never adopt an ideology that masks a lack of courage"
slidefighter is offline   Reply With Quote