ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #8416
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek
 
shipwrek12001's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 2,028
anyone that may know


major electrical power failure tonight, left me 1 km from home, it started intermitently then failed... removed the sea checking for battery, master relay connections.. nothing obvious.. pulling up on the main hareness going under the air box made it come alive again.. then fail. but I could make the bike come on and off at will moving the harness...

bikes back in the garage for me to goof with it tomorrow... any ideas where to look...?

again total electrical failure... it started with setting a fuel pump code, then a complete power failure. found moving the harness will restore the power and start, drive... I did a fuel pump and a fmf slip-on on it a month ago. (ca-cycle)
probably simple to fix, shitty to find...
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #8417
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek
 
shipwrek12001's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidefighter View Post
Not sure about the interior diameter of the fuel hoses on the 690. Looking to replace the submersed hoses with teflon.

thanks...


Lee...

http://ktm690.info/index.php/Main_Page
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #8418
Uller
Beastly Adventurer
 
Uller's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Arlington, WA
Oddometer: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
anyone that may know


major electrical power failure tonight, left me 1 km from home, it started intermitently then failed... removed the sea checking for battery, master relay connections.. nothing obvious.. pulling up on the main hareness going under the air box made it come alive again.. then fail. but I could make the bike come on and off at will moving the harness...

bikes back in the garage for me to goof with it tomorrow... any ideas where to look...?

again total electrical failure... it started with setting a fuel pump code, then a complete power failure. found moving the harness will restore the power and start, drive... I did a fuel pump and a fmf slip-on on it a month ago. (ca-cycle)
probably simple to fix, shitty to find...
There is a large group of ground wires in the large bundle just in front of/below the battery. The grounding system is crap on these. I found issues with mine. I cut the entire thing out and soldered together the wires and covered it all in waterproof shrink wrap. It solved my issues. Beany (RIP) told me about it and that it had affected others he knew.

Lifting your tank for the pump install could have stressed that wire bundle easily depending on what day of the week it was originally installed.
Uller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #8419
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek
 
shipwrek12001's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
There is a large group of ground wires in the large bundle just in front of/below the battery. The grounding system is crap on these. I found issues with mine. I cut the entire thing out and soldered together the wires and covered it all in waterproof shrink wrap. It solved my issues. Beany (RIP) told me about it and that it had affected others he knew.

Lifting your tank for the pump install could have stressed that wire bundle easily depending on what day of the week it was originally installed.



i love this place

I also believe the bike was built on a friday at 5pm....
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:31 AM   #8420
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post


i love this place

I also believe the bike was built on a friday at 5pm....
The factory actually stops production around noon on Friday, not sure if that helps as everybody is just thinking about leaving by 10am...
__________________
RTW trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #8421
KC-10ENG
Adventurer
 
KC-10ENG's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Please indicate which year bike you have and if you have changed out the stock lever or not.

The stock brake lever setup uses a bushing for a pivot..the early bikes were just metal and the later were plastic. This area gets full of dust/dirt/mud etc and the pedal starts to bind. So you use the pedal and it actually sticks on...this in turn heats up the brake rotor, pads, and fluid and causes the fluid to boil. So when your pedal pops back the system is cooked and you have a floppy pedal.

Thats my guess
The bike is a 2008 E, Clean Speed Engineering brake lever. After bleeding the brake I observed no binding what so ever in the brake lever. I will bleed the brake to see if this fixes the problem. The Pedal itself was rock hard when the brake was stuck. When I bled the brake it returned back to normal operation.

The ride that I returned from was two days riding in and around Death Valley. Approx 200 miles each day. Very little mud, but lots of dust.
__________________
2014 KTM-350EXC
2008 KTM-690e
1971 Rupp Hustler
KC-10ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:13 AM   #8422
Harty
Bloody Good Bloke!
 
Harty's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Devon, UK
Oddometer: 244
690 Steering Damper

Am going to get a steering damper fitted, but still trying to suss what bits I need. I'd rather have the RalleMoto one, but too expensive to ship from Oz, so am looking at the Scotts/Ohlins unit. Rally Raid sell them, plus all the necessary parts but at too much of a hefty mark up.

So my question is, apart from the actual damper unit, what other parts do I need, plus will I need new extended cables to allow the rise(Although I currently do have 40mm risers already fitted)

Btw am based in UK

Cheers
__________________
I'll get me coat..............

2011 KTM 690 - Devon TRF
Harty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:15 AM   #8423
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harty View Post
Am going to get a steering damper fitted, but still trying to suss what bits I need. I'd rather have the RalleMoto one, but too expensive to ship from Oz, so am looking at the Scotts/Ohlins unit. Rally Raid sell them, plus all the necessary parts but at too much of a hefty mark up.

So my question is, apart from the actual damper unit, what other parts do I need, plus will I need new extended cables to allow the rise(Although I currently do have 40mm risers already fitted)

Btw am based in UK

Cheers
If you're in the UK, just call RallyRaid and talk it through with them.

They have risers that are compatible with their Scott/Ohlin damper.
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:26 AM   #8424
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .
 
Brute's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
I've cleaned it twice, but that doesn't solve the flickering LCD - which is the primary function of the speedo.
I also had the flickering screen ( twice ) first time it was in the instrument cluster , 1 of 3 pins going to the circuit board ( wish I had pics like Seth always seems to have ) second time it was a break in the white & red wire which goes to the cluster . Break was internal of the insulation & where it goes through the triple clamp . A real bugger to find, but it may be worth checking the white with red trace wire .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:28 AM   #8425
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer
 
sprouty115's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harty View Post
Am going to get a steering damper fitted, but still trying to suss what bits I need. I'd rather have the RalleMoto one, but too expensive to ship from Oz, so am looking at the Scotts/Ohlins unit. Rally Raid sell them, plus all the necessary parts but at too much of a hefty mark up.

So my question is, apart from the actual damper unit, what other parts do I need, plus will I need new extended cables to allow the rise(Although I currently do have 40mm risers already fitted)

Btw am based in UK

Cheers
RalleMoto offers free shipping to the US, isn't it the same for the UK? And as far as I can tell there is about $50 US difference between the RalleMoto verison and the Scott's.

As for the other items you need, why not shoot either manufacturer an email directly?
sprouty115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #8426
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!
 
Roadracer_Al's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 1,396
Good info, thanks. Next time I have an afternoon to tinker, I'll have a look at it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
I also had the flickering screen ( twice ) first time it was in the instrument cluster , 1 of 3 pins going to the circuit board ( wish I had pics like Seth always seems to have ) second time it was a break in the white & red wire which goes to the cluster . Break was internal of the insulation & where it goes through the triple clamp . A real bugger to find, but it may be worth checking the white with red trace wire .
__________________
------------------------------
Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow
------------------------------
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #8427
Velociraptor
TrackBum
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
There is a large group of ground wires in the large bundle just in front of/below the battery. The grounding system is crap on these. I found issues with mine. I cut the entire thing out and soldered together the wires and covered it all in waterproof shrink wrap. It solved my issues. Beany (RIP) told me about it and that it had affected others he knew.

Lifting your tank for the pump install could have stressed that wire bundle easily depending on what day of the week it was originally installed.
Great info! My speedometer/instrument cluster is mostly dead after lifting the tank to install a new shock. I bet it is something in that area. I am being lazy and trying a new speedo first but chances are the speedo is fine. I have some good harness wrap and waterproof shrink wrap on order too.
__________________
2014 KTM EXC 500
2014 KTM 1290 Superduke R
2009 KTM 690r Enduro SOLD
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #8428
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
RalleMoto offers free shipping to the US, isn't it the same for the UK? And as far as I can tell there is about $50 US difference between the RalleMoto verison and the Scott's.

As for the other items you need, why not shoot either manufacturer an email directly?
I was on the cusp of buying a Scotts/Ohlin steering damper and kit from RR - had looked at GPR also - but had not considered the RalleMoto option ...

Has anyone used one and, if so, any opinions?

I'm in Australia, but curiously there is no free shipping here ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #8429
Assfault
Exposed Member
 
Assfault's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: RockyMountains
Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
RalleMoto offers free shipping to the US, isn't it the same for the UK? And as far as I can tell there is about $50 US difference between the RalleMoto verison and the Scott's.

As for the other items you need, why not shoot either manufacturer an email directly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
I was on the cusp of buying a Scotts/Ohlin steering damper and kit from RR - had looked at GPR also - but had not considered the RalleMoto option ...

Has anyone used one and, if so, any opinions?

I'm in Australia, but curiously there is no free shipping here ...
I installed the BRP system, which dampens the handlebars as well as the steering in one slick setup.
This has drasticly reduced the bar vibrations and gives me a damper for the rough stuff around here in the Rocky Mountains. Link here; http://www.brpmoto.com/products?page...tegory_id=1772
Well worth the $ IMO.
__________________
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #8430
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Oddometer: 180
I'm thinking of getting a 1" lowering for my 690 e. If I go ahead with the link will I have to raise the front suspension a bit to compensate? If so by how much?

LOVE my 690 but man is it tall!
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014