Migrant

Oddometer: 299

ridepjride screwed with this post 12-13-2011 at 01:11 PM
ridepjride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #842
Dazed Productions
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Has anyone changed a 690 rear shock spring and of so can you confirm if the use of spring compressors is necessary? I have seen a few references but can't believe it. I have changed springs on Penske, PDS wp shocks, aftermarket wp shocks etc and none have needed compressors. Just wind preload all the way off and remove bottom plate. Surely it's possible on e 690 shock too?
Old 11-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #843
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
So Seth ... How's Crank's switch ???

Paul Jr 8
Old 11-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #844
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 396
Okay..
Attached Images

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #845
690Emaf10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Has anyone taken the plunge on one of these yet? I'm wondering what kind of quality and fit they have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ktm-690-ENDU...ht_2111wt_1064
690Emaf10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #846
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
Wonder what that's all about?? Similar to the rally motor. Must be an oil pressure sensor.?.?
it is a RR motor....so its a bit different than an E/R. if it bolts into a stock 690 frame im sure it can be retrofitted for efi.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #847
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I'm kind of shocked to see the gas cap looks the same... I know they know its not ideal!
Maybe........inside their heads changing that component would admit that they had made a design/engineering mistake; kinda like the slave cylinder, or fuel pump, or side stand (950/900), or ..........
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #848
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed Productions View Post
Has anyone changed a 690 rear shock spring and of so can you confirm if the use of spring compressors is necessary? I have seen a few references but can't believe it. I have changed springs on Penske, PDS wp shocks, aftermarket wp shocks etc and none have needed compressors. Just wind preload all the way off and remove bottom plate. Surely it's possible on e 690 shock too?
If the threads on the shock body are in good shape, you can just back the collars all the way off and then remove the lower retainer to get the spring off. The threads on my shock body (along with many others' here) were boogered up from the get go and ended up peeling off 1 thread. I put anti-sieze compound on the threads before reassembly to avoid further damage. Rally raid offers a new stainless steel nut to avoid the dreaded deformed aluminum nuts, I just figured that once I set my sag I would not be making future adjustments so I opted to keep the stockers on there. If you use a spring compressor, you can avoid spinning the collars altogether, but I'll bet that your sag numbers won't fall into place even with the correct spring for your weight unless you make some adjustments of the collars.
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:52 AM   #849
690Emaf10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
I think it would bolt right up, and pretty much everything needed to convert it to FI would be on the other bike. I can't imagine a cooler addition to an E/R model bike. Wish I had the coin.
There was a comment made in the 690 carburetor conversion mod thread that the head of the RR motor is different that the FI. Link to that thread below.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=conversion
690Emaf10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #850
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth
You found something on Crank's switch Seth ?

Paul Jr
Old 11-11-2011, 06:55 AM   #851
olec
Rookie

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Olec any chance you can some more info on that Shell V power bulletin. I apologize on behalf of the guys who cried BS before we got to hear it thru...

I can't remember - does the US/Australia have "V power" at shells? Malaysia has V power and V power R (102 octane) at Shell. Shell is different here in Malaysia as it comes from higher quality crude out of Brunei. I always thought it was the best and maybe it is but that may or may not have anything to do with it not being any good for the 690.
Its not BS. But its not related to 690's. Its related to this specific gas type - 10 micron / my / whatever gas filter and BLACK gas tanks. The clever guys will find out we're talking about SXF's having black gas tanks and also this 10 micron filter INSIDE of one of the gas hoses. Dealers are instructed to tell the customer to avoid this type of gas and at the same time they must replace those 10 micron filter with 20 micron before they leave the floor.
So its a clogging filter problem with this type of gas in combination with black tanks (on the SXF's).

I dunno if micron / my whatever is the correct wording, but you get the point. Replace filters with new ones letting particles the double size to be allowed flowing through the filter.
olec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #852
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
There's a chance they have proof read their stats yet. Got a kick out of the freerides low weight:

And the 690 is listed at both 140 and 142 kg dry. Dry is typically heavier than "ready to race" weight...
Per my Dutch paperwork, the bike is officially listed as 142kg empty and 150kg ready to ride. Freeride seems a bit on the heavy side ;)
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #853
Bruno T .
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Must be an oil pressure sensor.?.?
Correct.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #854
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
Per my Dutch paperwork, the bike is officially listed as 142kg empty and 150kg ready to ride. Freeride seems a bit on the heavy side ;)
Tell you what though it'll sure teach those cages a lesson when they pull out in front of one and total their vehicles.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #855
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noyah View Post
Okay..
Could be an RR demo engine. Hard to know if that sensor cover will show up on production. I'm thinking probably not.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote