ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 05:17 AM   #8626
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,680
25-28 PSI if I'm mostly on road 15-18 if I'm doing mostly off road.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #8627
JustBob
Uh...who me?
 
JustBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Young Harris, GA
Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
I have a 2010 too and putting it in the "pansy" setting :) for offroad makes a world of difference in terms of stalling issue. I've also heard upgrading the exhaust and throwing in a nice foam air filter and new map makes a big difference (while keeping it in the standard setting while offroad). That's what I plan to do once I get the funds. ;)
After much trial and error with the Vortex ECU, I had my stock ECU reprogrammed, set to Map 3, G2 throttle cam, FMF can, and foam filters. My bike was way too snatchy off idle and poor gas mileage. It now has great power, gets 47mpg, no off idle snatch and no stalling.
__________________
Bob Hancock
'14 R1200GSW; '14 F800GSA
'10 690 EnduroR; '88 R100RS
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #8628
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Aaron from Texas's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
After much trial and error with the Vortex ECU, I had my stock ECU reprogrammed, set to Map 3, G2 throttle cam, FMF can, and foam filters. My bike was way too snatchy off idle and poor gas mileage. It now has great power, gets 47mpg, no off idle snatch and no stalling.
What map and throttle setting are you using?
__________________
1987 Honda XL600R
ftwtexas.blogspot.com
Aaron from Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #8629
sdd04
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by 690moto View Post
I'm an ax owner of a 2010 690R and sold it last fall. Now suffering from a touch of seller's remorse. I didn't like the stalling issues but it seemed much less an issue offroad when I rode in the mellow map setting. A local dealer said they could fix the issue but turned out they didn't.

I'm considering buying a 2013 if those issues have been resolved. I don't have time to read 8000 posts. Could someone sum up if ktm have worked out any of the problems that came with the 2010 or make a good guess as to what page I may find the info on. Like the stalling and the fit of the radiator, the gas tank weak bolts and anything else I may be forgetting?

Thanks
I can't answer all of your questions, and I've only got about 1k miles on my 2013, but for what it's worth..
I have the UNI and Wings on mine. I've never changed map settings, nor re-mapped it. It has never stalled, and it tractors away from a stop with so little throttle, that you're almost convinced you don't need to add any. Might have to change map settings just to see what they do, but I've felt no need to do it.

I've done nothing about the tank bolts..yet. It's all still tight. I'm just watching that for now.

The bike has taken 2 naps so far. One was a drop in a water crossing where I was going fast enough that I slid out of the water before coming to a stop. Bent the brake arm into the clutch cover enough to make it weep oil, but it never touched the rad or the shrouds. Re-bent the brake lever back to stock position, and for some reason it didn't break. I've got a cleanspeed sitting here to put on it, just haven't had time yet. It got blown over while parked in Oklahoma-yes it is very windy there sometimes, and no damage at all that time. I have since installed Rally-Raid rad protection kit and screen. Was figuring my luck might run out. The fan housing appears to be different than some earlier years bikes I've seen. Have not seen any problems with the fan trying to cut into the rad, and my fan runs a lot as I've installed a lower temp switch in the rad.

Time to put some more miles on her...
sdd04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #8630
690moto
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
I have a 2010 too and putting it in the "pansy" setting :) for offroad makes a world of difference in terms of stalling issue. I've also heard upgrading the exhaust and throwing in a nice foam air filter and new map makes a big difference (while keeping it in the standard setting while offroad). That's what I plan to do once I get the funds. ;)
I just want a bike for exploring, I don't need all 65hp when offroad. Although in the mellow mode its almost impossible to loft the front wheel over a log or obstacle. The throttle was too jerky in the other modes but I could have lived with that. I couldn't deal with it stalling at the very instant I needed to get on the gas to get out of trouble.
There seemed to be a lot of potential to this bike but out of the box it falls a little short. I was hoping that in its 5th year its evolved into a ready to roll perfect dualsport.
690moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #8631
Whec716
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Spring, Texas
Oddometer: 112
Where do you get the Wings exhaust in the USA?
__________________
If you know anyone looking to buy, sell or rent Real Estate in the Houston area. I'd appreciate the chance to earn your business. www.har.com/chriskrafcik
Whec716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #8632
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 690moto View Post
I just want a bike for exploring, I don't need all 65hp when offroad. Although in the mellow mode its almost impossible to loft the front wheel over a log or obstacle. The throttle was too jerky in the other modes but I could have lived with that. I couldn't deal with it stalling at the very instant I needed to get on the gas to get out of trouble.
There seemed to be a lot of potential to this bike but out of the box it falls a little short. I was hoping that in its 5th year its evolved into a ready to roll perfect dualsport.
I recomend a Husaberg 570
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #8633
690moto
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
I recomend a Husaberg 570
Whats your take on the 501? I was at the dealer yesterday and the 570 isn't listed in the brochure for 2013.
I'd be concerned about how that plastic subframe would hold up after landing sideways on a stump.
690moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #8634
RoninMoto
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: In the mountains?
Oddometer: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by 690moto View Post
Whats your take on the 501? I was at the dealer yesterday and the 570 isn't listed in the brochure for 2013.
I'd be concerned about how that plastic subframe would hold up after landing sideways on a stump.
You mean a KTM 500?

Husaberg is just a blue KTM now.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #8635
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 690moto View Post
I'm an ax owner of a 2010 690R and sold it last fall. Now suffering from a touch of seller's remorse. I didn't like the stalling issues but it seemed much less an issue offroad when I rode in the mellow map setting. A local dealer said they could fix the issue but turned out they didn't.

I'm considering buying a 2013 if those issues have been resolved. I don't have time to read 8000 posts. Could someone sum up if ktm have worked out any of the problems that came with the 2010 or make a good guess as to what page I may find the info on. Like the stalling and the fit of the radiator, the gas tank weak bolts and anything else I may be forgetting?

Thanks
Two things KTM corporate doesn't do that I really wish they would and think it would be helpful over here is:
1. Admit when there is a problem/mistake.
2. Tell us when/how they've addressed it.

Obviously if you never do #1 it makes no sense to do #2. And of course I understand them not being willing to admit there is a problem until after they've come up with a solution. Someone else on this thread said it was typical Austrian/Engineer mentality to never admit to making a mistake but to work like heck behind the scenes to fix it but even then not to mention it.

Bottom line we all know the fuel injection has had (and maybe still has? who knows) some reliability issues. I'd respect them owning it and telling us what they are doing.
Back when the 690's were running the Dakar it was a pretty tell tale sign they hadn't fixed it yet when all of the big boys were running retrofitted carbs. Did they fix it yet? "Sure... it's just Coma and Depres are superstitious about the whole FI thing..."
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #8636
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables
 
Gros Buck's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
You mean a KTM 500?

Husaberg is just a blue KTM now.
He meant Husaberg 70 degree not built anymore. I.e. second hand ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
2.5" to 3". you just have to spin your throttle tube upside down
But there's issues doing so. First, the purge hole that's supposed to be under becomes on top. So mud goes in with no way to go out.

Second, there are small felts inside the throttle tube assembly, that wipers the throttle cable. Will soon or later be swallowed by the throttle cable toward the throttle body down under. It could even jam the throttle cable.

Been there. Done that.

Paul Jr
__________________
KTM690r 2011

Gros Buck screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 01:54 PM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #8637
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Oddometer: 201
But there's issues doing so. First, the purge hole that's supposed to be under becomes on top. So mud goes in with no way to go out.

Second, there are small felts inside the throttle tube assembly, that wipers the throttle cable. Will soon or later be swallowed by the throttle cable toward the throttle body down under. It could even jam the throttle cable.

Been there. Done that.

Paul Jr[/QUOTE]

Awesome thx a ton for the heads up!
__________________
2010 KTM 690 Enduro r (Current)
LOADED 2008 KLR (Sold)
2000 Ducati Monster 750 (Sold)
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #8638
Christophe
weekend warrior
 
Christophe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Aix-en-Provence, France
Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
I have a 2010 too and putting it in the "pansy" setting :) for offroad makes a world of difference in terms of stalling issue. I've also heard upgrading the exhaust and throwing in a nice foam air filter and new map makes a big difference (while keeping it in the standard setting while offroad). That's what I plan to do once I get the funds. ;)
I have a 2011, I rode the first 1000 stock, then I switch to the akra exhaust and matched map and the foam air filter, and you're right, it makes a big difference in low end smoothness. I can ride it on the standard setting offroad when I am feeling more agressive, with no stalling issues, or back to the easy setting for slippery situations (I installed a switch on the handlebar). Love the bike, even if it threw me off once too often (finished that ride in an ambulance), but I am riding it again now.

Christophe screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 05:06 PM
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #8639
sdd04
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor1 View Post
Where do you get the Wings exhaust in the USA?
Just order it direct off the Wings website from Gorazd. It was an easy straight forward transaction.
sdd04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #8640
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Oddometer: 201
But there's issues doing so. First, the purge hole that's supposed to be under becomes on top. So mud goes in with no way to go out.

Second, there are small felts inside the throttle tube assembly, that wipers the throttle cable. Will soon or later be swallowed by the throttle cable toward the throttle body down under. It could even jam the throttle cable.

Been there. Done that.

Paul Jr[/QUOTE]

Okay have to admit I'm not entirely sure by what you meant by purging the hole and the wipers the throttle cable bit. Free feel to PM with more specifics so not to chew up the thread. Or if anyone can clarify quickly please feel free. ;)
__________________
2010 KTM 690 Enduro r (Current)
LOADED 2008 KLR (Sold)
2000 Ducati Monster 750 (Sold)
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015