Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #8671
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by 690moto View Post
Whats your take on the 501? I was at the dealer yesterday and the 570 isn't listed in the brochure for 2013.
I'd be concerned about how that plastic subframe would hold up after landing sideways on a stump.
You mean a KTM 500?

Husaberg is just a blue KTM now.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #8672
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by 690moto View Post
I'm an ax owner of a 2010 690R and sold it last fall. Now suffering from a touch of seller's remorse. I didn't like the stalling issues but it seemed much less an issue offroad when I rode in the mellow map setting. A local dealer said they could fix the issue but turned out they didn't.

I'm considering buying a 2013 if those issues have been resolved. I don't have time to read 8000 posts. Could someone sum up if ktm have worked out any of the problems that came with the 2010 or make a good guess as to what page I may find the info on. Like the stalling and the fit of the radiator, the gas tank weak bolts and anything else I may be forgetting?

Thanks
Two things KTM corporate doesn't do that I really wish they would and think it would be helpful over here is:
1. Admit when there is a problem/mistake.
2. Tell us when/how they've addressed it.

Obviously if you never do #1 it makes no sense to do #2. And of course I understand them not being willing to admit there is a problem until after they've come up with a solution. Someone else on this thread said it was typical Austrian/Engineer mentality to never admit to making a mistake but to work like heck behind the scenes to fix it but even then not to mention it.

Bottom line we all know the fuel injection has had (and maybe still has? who knows) some reliability issues. I'd respect them owning it and telling us what they are doing.
Back when the 690's were running the Dakar it was a pretty tell tale sign they hadn't fixed it yet when all of the big boys were running retrofitted carbs. Did they fix it yet? "Sure... it's just Coma and Depres are superstitious about the whole FI thing..."
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #8673
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
You mean a KTM 500?

Husaberg is just a blue KTM now.
He meant Husaberg 70 degree not built anymore. I.e. second hand ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
2.5" to 3". you just have to spin your throttle tube upside down
But there's issues doing so. First, the purge hole that's supposed to be under becomes on top. So mud goes in with no way to go out.

Second, there are small felts inside the throttle tube assembly, that wipers the throttle cable. Will soon or later be swallowed by the throttle cable toward the throttle body down under. It could even jam the throttle cable.

Been there. Done that.

Paul Jr

Gros Buck screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 01:54 PM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #8674
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
But there's issues doing so. First, the purge hole that's supposed to be under becomes on top. So mud goes in with no way to go out.

Second, there are small felts inside the throttle tube assembly, that wipers the throttle cable. Will soon or later be swallowed by the throttle cable toward the throttle body down under. It could even jam the throttle cable.

Been there. Done that.

Paul Jr[/QUOTE]

Awesome thx a ton for the heads up!
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #8675
Christophe
weekend warrior

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
I have a 2010 too and putting it in the "pansy" setting :) for offroad makes a world of difference in terms of stalling issue. I've also heard upgrading the exhaust and throwing in a nice foam air filter and new map makes a big difference (while keeping it in the standard setting while offroad). That's what I plan to do once I get the funds. ;)
I have a 2011, I rode the first 1000 stock, then I switch to the akra exhaust and matched map and the foam air filter, and you're right, it makes a big difference in low end smoothness. I can ride it on the standard setting offroad when I am feeling more agressive, with no stalling issues, or back to the easy setting for slippery situations (I installed a switch on the handlebar). Love the bike, even if it threw me off once too often (finished that ride in an ambulance), but I am riding it again now.

Christophe screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 05:06 PM
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #8676
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor1 View Post
Where do you get the Wings exhaust in the USA?
Just order it direct off the Wings website from Gorazd. It was an easy straight forward transaction.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #8677
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Been there. Done that.

Paul Jr[/QUOTE]

Okay have to admit I'm not entirely sure by what you meant by purging the hole and the wipers the throttle cable bit. Free feel to PM with more specifics so not to chew up the thread. Or if anyone can clarify quickly please feel free. ;)
Old 05-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #8678
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe View Post
I have a 2011, I rode the first 1000 stock, then I switch to the akra exhaust and matched map and the foam air filter, and you're right, it makes a big difference in low end smoothness. I can ride it on the standard setting offroad when I am feeling more agressive, with no stalling issues, or back to the easy setting for slippery situations (I installed a switch on the handlebar). Love the bike, even if it threw me off once too often (finished that ride in an ambulance), but I am riding it again now.

Great glad to hear the mods make for a better beast offroad! Sorry to hear that you got injured though. But glad to hear that your riding again.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #8679
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,993
Pulled the engine out of the bike yesterday and pulled off the cylinder head. Now I just need to order some gaskets. The piston and valves had a little carbon buildup and sludge but no signs of pitting or detonation. The cylinder walls are scuff free and I can still see the factory cross hatching...all a good sign. I didn't see any signs of cracking along the cylinder walls so i am hoping the head gasket was the failure point. The head gasket being made of steel with a rubber upper and lower coating...was hard to find an intrusion point. I will probably through the head on a flat plate to be sure it is straight.

Luckily it was a nice day outside as I currently have no indoor space to work in. Hardest part about this job is keeping the chickens out of the tools

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #8680
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
go seth................errrr.........go seth's chickens.

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #8681
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Pulled the engine out of the bike yesterday and pulled off the cylinder head. Now I just need to order some gaskets. The piston and valves had a little carbon buildup and sludge but no signs of pitting or detonation. The cylinder walls are scuff free and I can still see the factory cross hatching...all a good sign. I didn't see any signs of cracking along the cylinder walls so i am hoping the head gasket was the failure point. The head gasket being made of steel with a rubber upper and lower coating...was hard to find an intrusion point. I will probably through the head on a flat plate to be sure it is straight.

Luckily it was a nice day outside as I currently have no indoor space to work in. Hardest part about this job is keeping the chickens out of the tools
How many miles does your engine have Seth?
How did the rocker arm bearings look? I heard those crap out after awhile.
If higher miles, are you going to re-ring and/or install a new piston?
Thanks for putting up wit hmy questions, my engine is now over 20K and after this season I'm probably going to tear into it and replace parts as needed. I'm sure with the airbox not sealing well my enginge sucked some dirt before I bought my bike and fixed the problem, thus wearing the rings at the least.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #8682
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

My engine has about 10,000 miles on it and most of that has been trail riding or some form of racing. The engine has spent a fair amount of time tapped out in 6th gear. The rocker shafts looked clean and unmarred as did the rollers. I will look closer and can take some photos but I didn't see anything concerning when I pulled them out.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 05-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #8683
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Chickens

That's a Light Sussex in the last pic. Used to have these ourselves long ago.
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #8684
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
That's a Light Sussex in the last pic. Used to have these ourselves long ago.
Staying at my parents place due to a fall out on a house purchase. They currently have 36 chickens, 10 ducks, and 2 geese. They have several different kinds of chickens including a Bantam rooster and 2 Bantam hens. We get about 10 to 20 eggs a day from the chickens...we also get duck and goose eggs.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #8685
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Seth,
If the 690 needs a bit more pep, just give it a goose

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote