Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #8701
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
The boys at Mattighofen in clean white coats would not enjoy seeing that hammer ...

And the chicken masquerading as a mechanic.

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #8702
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotbond View Post
And the chicken masquerading as a mechanic.
I don't think it is masquerading. I think it could hold a wrench between a couple of wing feathers and . . .

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #8703
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Seth,
Yep they can bite....but there is a different meaning as well:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=goose
A very off topic question for Seth... does it hurt when they bite?

It's a serious question; at one of my riding places where I enter and usually stop and lock up my luggage they've got a bunch of geese that charge. I've considered kicking them in the chest to keep them back but wouldn't want to be so harsh if there bite wasn't bad.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #8704
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post

It's a serious question; at one of my riding places where I enter and usually stop and lock up my luggage they've got a bunch of geese that charge. I've considered kicking them in the chest to keep them back but wouldn't want to be so harsh if there bite wasn't bad.
i got bit by a duck once(to be fair, i had shot it), and i wont say it didnt hurt, but I know youve crashed a moto at SOME point, and im thinking you can take a goose pinch or twelve.

video it though, if you can
lightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #8705
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Anyone figured out a plug and play handlebar map selector?
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #8706
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmstatecrawler View Post
Anyone figured out a plug and play handlebar map selector?
leo vince?
lightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #8707
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
leo vince?
Dats what I gotz

Works well
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #8708
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
Dats what I gotz

Works well
Not quite plug-and-play, in the sense that the handlebar map switches for the EXCs and Bergs are - I don't think ... ?

Don't you need to select two maps first using the under-seat switch, then swap between those on the fly using the handlebar switch ... ?

That was my impression, when I looked at a map switch a couple of months back ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:17 AM   #8709
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,066
Not quite you have stop turn engine off select map restart and off
You go
Old 05-14-2013, 03:14 AM   #8710
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,031
My 690 had a blown head gasket . The head was also warped slightly & required machining .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #8711
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post

They have big beaks with serrations all along the top and bottoms. Our goose is getting better at biting. I usually have pants on and he cannot get a good purchase. I think it would be pretty uncomfortable if I were bitten with shorts on. I usually just grab him by the neck and have a little chat about his ways and then he backs off.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #8712
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
They have big beaks with serrations all along the top and bottoms. Our goose is getting better at biting. I usually have pants on and he cannot get a good purchase. I think it would be pretty uncomfortable if I were bitten with shorts on. I usually just grab him by the neck and have a little chat about his ways and then he backs off.
If a goose or gander goes for you, offer it your left hand (if you're right handed - do it the other way if you're left handed), but don't let it bight down on you. Use your hand to lead the goose in front of you so you can get your right arm around its body and fold its wings in and lift it up. They go pretty quiet when you pick 'em up. If a goose does get your finger just push your fingers back into the apex of their jaw and they'll let go. When a goose grabs your skin it will twist its neck and that hurts.
They're one of the best guard dogs going but they shit (it seems) about 10x their body weight each and every day - I'm not a fan.
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #8713
chrislitt
B-KTM-W

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
If a goose or gander goes for you, offer it your left hand (if you're right handed - do it the other way if you're left handed), but don't let it bight down on you. Use your hand to lead the goose in front of you so you can get your right arm around its body and fold its wings in and lift it up. They go pretty quiet when you pick 'em up. If a goose does get your finger just push your fingers back into the apex of their jaw and they'll let go. When a goose grabs your skin it will twist its neck and that hurts.
They're one of the best guard dogs going but they shit (it seems) about 10x their body weight each and every day - I'm not a fan.
At least 10x their weight and mostly on the sidewalk or other surfaced area. In a previous life we lived where banana slugs were numerous. The geese would grab them and violently shake their heads in a twisting motion making a sick slapping sound while covering their heads with slime. Sadly entertaining for everyone but the slug.
Donate to your causes 'cause your enemies are outspending you! 2011 R1200GS Adventure,2009 KTM 300XCW, 2009 KTM 690R, Rotarian, Member of AMA / D36, NRA, CRPA, BRC, BMW MOA 174799. Happy to still be working though it interferes with riding!
chrislitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #8714
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

I'll stick with the grab the neck and yell method.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 05-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #8715
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

was considering buying a new radiator for the bike. Then I looked at the price list and remembered why I have avoided that option. Anyone have a pro-deal?