User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #8821
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Low fender brake line clamp

I know this is a long shot, but I'm hoping that someone has the brake line clamp for the low fender mod.

I bought a lightly used low fender about 5 months ago and just got around to installing it.

If the seller did send the clamp and the two bolts that go with it along, I can't find it.

It's a totally different clamp and the bolts are a different diameter as well. The stock one runs horizontal and the low fender runs vertical.

If anyone has this piece, I'd love to get my hands on it. Was hoping to us the fender for a trip this coming weekend but that doesn't look likely.

Thanks,

Cord

CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #8822
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoRider View Post
Also, riding in Florida rain to work on those RalleyCross tires was not confidence inspiring. They look like a 90% dirt tire and fine for weekend dirt.
* Looking for something better for weekday commuting on wet roads. Any thoughts on; Metzler Enduro 3 Sahara, Pirelli MT 90, Hidenau, Shinko or whatever.

If this is not the correct forum for 690 tires. Let me know if I should go somewhere else.
I only have 15k miles on my 08 but I like the Metzler Enduro 3 Sahara you will give up a bit on the trial but if you plan on covering some asphalt the work and I get about 3000 niles before I change out.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #8823
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post
I know this is a long shot, but I'm hoping that someone has the brake line clamp for the low fender mod.

I bought a lightly used low fender about 5 months ago and just got around to installing it.

If the seller did send the clamp and the two bolts that go with it along, I can't find it.

It's a totally different clamp and the bolts are a different diameter as well. The stock one runs horizontal and the low fender runs vertical.

If anyone has this piece, I'd love to get my hands on it. Was hoping to us the fender for a trip this coming weekend but that doesn't look likely.

Thanks,

Cord

You can get that piece thru Munn Racing

http://173.74.246.25/munnracing/cata...component=MASK, FENDERS

2006 950 Adventure Black

$22 for that little piece.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #8824
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 388
Halp

I managed to over tighten the screw holding the rear plastic in the tank (right side), not sure how to remove the screw since its in the tank and spinning.

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #8825
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noyah View Post
I managed to over tighten the screw holding the rear plastic in the tank (right side), not sure how to remove the screw since its in the tank and spinning.

On the 950 Adventures when this happens the fix is to put the bolt in a drill, tighten the chuck, thread it in to the insert and spin it fast get everything hot/melted and then let it cool and often times it will setup and you might get more life out of it. There are threads in "Orange Crush" on this subject. However, the plastics might be from a different material on the 690 though and this method may cause irreparable damage, big YMMV. You can use this method to remove the insert though (just spin it up and pull while spinning) and then figure out what the plastic is and if there is a suitable adhesive to bond the insert back in. Whatever you do don't push the insert into the tank while spinning it and cause a leak if you go this route.

v8toilet screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 08:53 PM
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #8826
slidefighter
Gather it up, keep on...

Oddometer: 257
Palmstate: Let me know how that all works out for you. Bought mine in Alpharetta but live in Ridgeland. I'm closer to your area than to NE Atlanta.

Thanks,

Lee...

"Never adopt an ideology that masks a lack of courage"
slidefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #8827
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,203
I would lightly pry out on the rear plastics while turning the well nut to slowly remove it. Then either try an expanding rubber well nut or grease the threads on the original nut insert the bolt clean the nut with alcohol (leaving grease on the end where the bolt is)and epoxy it back to the tank. Just be careful when reinstalling the bolt.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #8828
MakoRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
I only have 15k miles on my 08 but I like the Metzler Enduro 3 Sahara you will give up a bit on the trial but if you plan on covering some asphalt the work and I get about 3000 niles before I change out.
Thanks Goosecreek. Do you order online? Through who?
MakoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #8829
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
The 500 EXC keeps tempting me!
Feeling the same temptation. Love the 690 but am wondering how much better the 500 would be off road, lighter better suspension....hum, still the 690 is a hell of a lot of fun and the compromise list is pretty short.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #8830
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Feeling the same temptation. Love the 690 but am wondering how much better the 500 would be off road, lighter better suspension....hum, still the 690 is a hell of a lot of fun and the compromise list is pretty short.
No comparison offroad, if that's your focus and you can put up with higher maintenance ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #8831
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
What type of riding will determine the answer. The 500exc is plated but really doesn't run down the highway very well. It has a much better turn radius and is a much better dirt bike. For real dualsport applications, the 690 is head and shoulders above it. I rode my 690e from Yuma through the Copper Canyon region and back, no way the 500 would do that trip, 2300 miles of great times.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #8832
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
What type of riding will determine the answer. The 500exc is plated but really doesn't run down the highway very well. It has a much better turn radius and is a much better dirt bike. For real dualsport applications, the 690 is head and shoulders above it. I rode my 690e from Yuma through the Copper Canyon region and back, no way the 500 would do that trip, 2300 miles of great times.
That is why I am tempted by the 500 but will keep the 690.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #8833
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
2006 950 Adventure Black

$22 for that little piece.

Thanks, Tom.

$31 by the time it gets to my dealer!
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #8834
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post
Thanks, Tom.

$31 by the time it gets to my dealer!
I think I have one in my tool box
If I di you ca have it!
send me a pm with your address
Old 05-22-2013, 04:24 AM   #8835
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
Bought the 690 when I started to feel bad taking the GSA so far off the beaten track, started to feel bad for beating on the GSA, although it never complained and feel bad also referring to me. Physically, muscling the 575lbs GSA over rough stuff wears you out . I went with the 690 because of the lower maintenance intervals and better road manners but never tried the 500. Now the 690 is a weekday commuter for the short ride into work, usually take the torn up train tracks and it is the afterwork and weekend off road toy and explorer.

Tempted by the lure of even more off road capability and lighter weight and better suspension of the 500. Not sure I could add another bike to the garage without Mrs CdnX noticing. . I'll have to get a test ride on one and see, it would be hard too give up the 690, love this bike, and it has all sorts of allure because of its DS capabilities.

I still have the GSA for long treks, 2 up and occasional offload use.

CanadianX screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 04:30 AM
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote