User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #8941
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,695
Seeking the knowledge.

I just got done riding the Pamir highway and i'm in Dushanbe now. About 50 times today I am riding and the bike starts to run like shit. It gets really loud, backfires a lot and shows the FI fault. I turn the bike off, turn it back on and it runs great for the next 5 hours or 3 seconds and everywhere in between. I had this problem 1 time in Croatia about 10,000 km ago and not again till yesterday evening.

9x long. "Throttle valve position not plausible"

Its looking like I need to run through the TPS adjustment? I am really hoping I don't need new parts.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #8942
jorich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Is anybody using this mount?
http://www.scottsonline.com/Stabiliz...o&BI_ID=169137

The Scott's rubber SUB mount. Are there any opinions about it?

'10 KTM 690R:)
jorich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #8943
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorich View Post
Is anybody using this mount?
http://www.scottsonline.com/Stabiliz...o&BI_ID=169137

The Scott's rubber SUB mount. Are there any opinions about it?

I broke my lower bar clamps in a high speed crash in the desert around thanksgiving, and had been considering a submount to go with my Scott's that had been sitting on my work bench anyway, so I bought the BRP rubber mounted SUB mount. Very clean looking (especially with the Fastway FIT handgaurds that I traded from my other bike) and straight forward install. I won't lie and tell you that I can tell a difference in vibration in my hands, but I can see out of the mirrors on my dual sport much more clearly so the rubber mount had to of reduced vibrations.

To be fair, I never really noticed much vibration in the bars on this bike to begin with. I don't notice the Scott's anymore either but I sure notice when I turn it off, so I may have just got used to it.

If I get on the bike while it is up on the stand, I can push down on one side or the other of the bars and see that they are "flexing" with the rubber mounts. That tells me that they can deflect/absorb shock similar to (but not in quite the same manner as) how Flexx bars do. It does not feel like the same mushy rubber bar mount design that my Honda's had which allowed the bars to twist left to right in relation to the forks. The BRP RMSUB also keeps the stabilizer solid mounted which in theory would improve it's responsiveness.

I looked at it as another small improvement in suspension, kind of like race car builders look for 100 places to loose 1lb vs 1 place to lose 100lbs... very small incremental gains that may go unnoticed alone but add up to a substantial improvement.

...Oh yeah, and I just liked the way it looks!

I can also attest to it's durability. I ate it in the snow going ~40mph earlier this year and I "jogged it out" (I stepped off the bike on the way down and proceeded to jog away while the bike took a nap in some trailside rubble) while laying the bike down on the right side a few months ago. Neither were particularly bad crashes but the bars stayed right were they should have. My buddy's Husky didn't fair quite as well, he took almost identical spills on the same 2 rides and both resulted in us having to unbolt upper and lower bar mounts to realign and then retighten. The time in the snow actually bent one of his through bolts that hold the bar mount to the top triple so he just dealt with it for the rest of the ride and replaced the bolt when he got home. In other words, this rubber mounting works much better than most factory rubber mounted bar setups.

The ONLY thing that I don't like is that I cannot slide my forks up in the clamps very far (11mm including the cap) but that probably isn't an issue in most applications. I 100% recommend this setup!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #8944
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,739
I'm getting some dust getting past the UNI foam filter installed in my 690 in the same way I suspect it leaks past the paper filter. I greased the sides heavily and will give it one more go.

If after my next ride I still find the fine dust on the sides of the box I'll be looking for a new solution. Is the Rally Raid the way to go to solve this?
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #8945
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet View Post
I'm getting some dust getting past the UNI foam filter installed in my 690 in the same way I suspect it leaks past the paper filter. I greased the sides heavily and will give it one more go.

If after my next ride I still find the fine dust on the sides of the box I'll be looking for a new solution. Is the Rally Raid the way to go to solve this?
I suspect the grease will resolve your issue. I keep 2 of the foam filters, the UNI from KTMtwins, and the orange version from hard parts. I swapped them out last week and certainly found dust on the top side of the UNI where the snorkel dumps air into the filter, but the airbox under the filter had no dirt at all. I used a liberal coating of waterproof grease on the lower mating surface of the filter to help seal it.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #8946
Kirkster
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Seeking the knowledge.

I just got done riding the Pamir highway and i'm in Dushanbe now. About 50 times today I am riding and the bike starts to run like shit. It gets really loud, backfires a lot and shows the FI fault. I turn the bike off, turn it back on and it runs great for the next 5 hours or 3 seconds and everywhere in between. I had this problem 1 time in Croatia about 10,000 km ago and not again till yesterday evening.

Its looking like I need to run through the TPS adjustment? I am really hoping I don't need new parts.
Is this the same problem that Luke had with the bike???

Voltage Regulator??? Page 69 of Luke's 25,000 miles thread...
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #8947
Kirkster
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 296
Ok, Has anyone found the part number for a generic Fuel injector for the 690 as I wanted to have one of those for a spare.

It looks like I waited a bit too long to order a spare fuel pump as they are out of stock just about everywhere and my trip starts on 17 ~ 21 June...
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #8948
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post
Is this the same problem that Luke had with the bike???

Voltage Regulator??? Page 69 of Luke's 25,000 miles thread...
I guess i'll be checking that tomorrow. Thanks man. I knew there was a reason I swapped in a Yami R1 regulator into my bike that was stolen. Fooking pikeys!
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #8949
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Ok, Has anyone found the part number for a generic Fuel injector for the 690 as I wanted to have one of those for a spare.

It looks like I waited a bit too long to order a spare fuel pump as they are out of stock just about everywhere and my trip starts on 17 ~ 21 June...
I guess you tried California Cycleworks for their replacement pump for the 690?
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #8950
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 6,376
Quote:

I ordered one from ktm-parts.com and it arrived a week.5 later even though it was on back-order.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #8951
jorich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post

I broke my lower bar clamps in a high speed crash in the desert around thanksgiving, and had been considering a submount to go with my Scott's that had been sitting on my work bench anyway, so I bought the BRP rubber mounted SUB mount. Very clean looking (especially with the Fastway FIT handgaurds that I traded from my other bike) and straight forward install. I won't lie and tell you that I can tell a difference in vibration in my hands, but I can see out of the mirrors on my dual sport much more clearly so the rubber mount had to of reduced vibrations.

To be fair, I never really noticed much vibration in the bars on this bike to begin with. I don't notice the Scott's anymore either but I sure notice when I turn it off, so I may have just got used to it.

If I get on the bike while it is up on the stand, I can push down on one side or the other of the bars and see that they are "flexing" with the rubber mounts. That tells me that they can deflect/absorb shock similar to (but not in quite the same manner as) how Flexx bars do. It does not feel like the same mushy rubber bar mount design that my Honda's had which allowed the bars to twist left to right in relation to the forks. The BRP RMSUB also keeps the stabilizer solid mounted which in theory would improve it's responsiveness.

I looked at it as another small improvement in suspension, kind of like race car builders look for 100 places to loose 1lb vs 1 place to lose 100lbs... very small incremental gains that may go unnoticed alone but add up to a substantial improvement.

...Oh yeah, and I just liked the way it looks!

I can also attest to it's durability. I ate it in the snow going ~40mph earlier this year and I "jogged it out" (I stepped off the bike on the way down and proceeded to jog away while the bike took a nap in some trailside rubble) while laying the bike down on the right side a few months ago. Neither were particularly bad crashes but the bars stayed right were they should have. My buddy's Husky didn't fair quite as well, he took almost identical spills on the same 2 rides and both resulted in us having to unbolt upper and lower bar mounts to realign and then retighten. The time in the snow actually bent one of his through bolts that hold the bar mount to the top triple so he just dealt with it for the rest of the ride and replaced the bolt when he got home. In other words, this rubber mounting works much better than most factory rubber mounted bar setups.

The ONLY thing that I don't like is that I cannot slide my forks up in the clamps very far (11mm including the cap) but that probably isn't an issue in most applications. I 100% recommend this setup!
So I was trying to come up with a sarcastic response to the detail of your reply, but in the end I was afraid it would come off negative! Thank you for taking the time to write. I was pretty sure about buying it before, now I think I will go ahead and give it a try.

Thanks J.

'10 KTM 690R:)
jorich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #8952
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Seeking the knowledge.

Karma for the pooch snacking?
MeinMotorrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #8953
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
Karma for the pooch snacking?
Well the throttle valve position not plausible, is a bit troubling.
Without the tuneEcu loaded on your computer and the cable it will
be hard to adjust the TPS.

I'd start by doing the initial throttle adjust.
Turn the bike on slowly rotate the throttle to full open and then back to closed, wait a few seconds and start the bike.

The fi codes not with standing, I'd fully check the fuel pump. which
once it starts to fail is very hard to diagnose. Is it an after market
pump or a OEM part ?

I've had the same symptoms on my 690 and after replacing the fuel pump
which helped, cleaning the injector really did the trick.

Soak in solvent, with the Orings off and you can use a bicyckle punp
to blow air from the down stream side out through the intake side,
cleaning the small screen.

Good luck. There is a good KTM shop in Almaty I've used, if your
heading that way.

Max
Old 05-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #8954
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet View Post

I found the same thing. Put grease all over the sealing area and haven't had a problem since. Sure is messy though. I'm considering putting some small weatherstrip foam on the box to fill any gap.
Next time I have my Safari tank off to give me access I will reach in and grease up the inside of the airbox. I used to do that in the old days on my Husky's. Just in case anything got past the filter it would get stuck on the grease vs sucked into the motor.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #8955
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,135
Had a thought the other day while cleaning my oil burners MAF sensor ,
These 690 were designed with. A Paper air filter so when we use a oiled filer
A fine mist of oil will build up in the map sensor , who has ever cleaned there map sensor , I would think this oily build up will effect fuelling to some degree .