Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #901
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed Productions View Post
had another look and mecca systems still looks more expensive than OEM. 200 for light brackets 350 for instrument supports, 400 for the support 515 for the fairing??? I don't get their pricing.
nobody gets their pricing....which worked fine when they were the only game in town. Now they have competition.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #902
Dazed Productions
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
nobody gets their pricing....which worked fine when they were the only game in town. Now they have competition.
Their competition being ordering rally parts from KTM in my case! Were they ever cheaper than OEM?
Old 11-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #903
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olec View Post
How much extra equipment in wattage can I mount to the bike w/o risking draining the battery? It's dark and cold outside and snow is around the corner, so I need some more light, gripheaters and maybe for the first time, something that warms me a bit. Thanx!
figure on having about 100 watts to work with:

go with LED lights....good output minimal wattage draw. i have a rigid industries 2x2 for a light on my berg. (15 watts per light).

run a heated jacket with the newer digital thermostats for the most efficiency.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 11-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #904
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by olec View Post
How much extra equipment in wattage can I mount to the bike w/o risking draining the battery? It's dark and cold outside and snow is around the corner, so I need some more light, gripheaters and maybe for the first time, something that warms me a bit. Thanx!
You probably wont get any better headlight that is ok for oncoming traffic than a 50 watt, Bi Xenon FX projector beam. Wire it up so that you can turn it on AFTER you start your bike.

I used these guys:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=101

They sell an imitation FX-R (I think "R" retro maybe ?) - beam shape/quality is excellent BUT the housing seems kind of cheap... I don't know if there is something better out there though I think these are the same lights in some Audi and/or Acura's.

I wouldn't get the ballast or bulb from them but rather use these guys:
http://www.hid50.com/

FWIW, using the term LED is as generic as "motorcycle" without distinguishing if you are talking about a honda trail 90 or Hayabusa.

I have both the most powerful LED emittor (SSR90) and most efficient (XML bin U2) and they are not in the same leage as a bi xenon projector HID. First off the beam shape is uber important not for how much light it puts out, but for how well it can help you see (2 different issues) without blinding oncoming drivers - or yourself from the bounce back.
Secondly the CRI (color rendition index) is so low on most LED's (about 65 unless you intentionally order high CRI versions) that it washes out color/contrasts you really need to see ecspecially for off road.
I would say compared to a Halogen or HID, or 65 CRI LED putting 2000 lumens out the front is compareable to 2000 lumens HID/Halogen BUT wearing funky glasses that distort your vision from say 20/20 to 20/30.

I do think however a 6 watt XML Led (about 750 "out the front" lumens - or just as bright as the "R" headlight) would be a great idea to be able to run alone NOT for "seeing" (of course it would help a bit) but for being seen for daylight or city driving where there are enough streetlights that you're not really needing your headlight. In that scenario you'd have 150 watts or so to play with for heated gear. I don't have anything like that, but that's what I'd do if I needed more juice to run heated gear in the daytime.
I however am dreaming about how to "cooling gear"
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #905
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by giodog2000 View Post
Great! looks good.
I already ordered the KTM Stealth 46T . Didn't want to second guess my dealer on that call but just though I'd get a second opinion cause I know nothing about chains and sprocket ratios lol Thanks for the info

I am a real fan of Ironman sprockets....have one on the 450 for Baja (48 rear)....and have a 46 sitting on the bench for the 690....will install next w/ new chain and front sprocket....

As it will certainly outlast the stock countershaft sprocket, I am just not sure when the second countershaft should be installed ???? I am a believer that the three parts should be changed at same time, but don't know about the rear overperforming compared to countershaft???

But, what the hell, it's ALL an experiment. eh?!

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:21 PM   #906
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,036
I`m convinced my fuel pump has packed it in . There was an after market brand pump in the last thread . I think Uller got 1 first . Can anyone give any info or a link ?
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #907
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
I`m convinced my fuel pump has packed it in . There was an after market brand pump in the last thread . I think Uller got 1 first . Can anyone give any info or a link ?
http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/fuel-pu...arna-4-strokes

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641042
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:41 AM   #908
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Thanks Bobzilla , I read all the fuel pump thread & now I`m not so sure . Started a few weeks ago when it wouldn`t idle at times . Once you began riding it would then idle , but stop it & restart & it wouldn`t idle . I changed the fuel filter , put a tea bag type strainer filter in & one of those screen filters which go in the injector . Also had the injector ultra sonic cleaned . All back together & still a few idle issues ( seemed worse on map 2 ) Headed off today for a 3 day ride & it started loosing power & wouldn`t rev above 5k , it gradually got worse till it would hardly run . Travelled 40 kays at 30 kmh . Wouldn`t idle & would cut out just above idle . Really seemed like fuel starvation .Eventually it wouldn`t run. Trouble is , whenever I turn the ignition on I get the fuel pump whirl noises ???
Old 11-18-2011, 01:56 AM   #909
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Just pulled the injector , spray pattern looks ok . Not that I`ve seen it before , but there`s definitely fuel coming out in a pattern with each pulse ???
Old 11-18-2011, 02:52 AM   #910
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
Thanks Bobzilla , I read all the fuel pump thread & now I`m not so sure . Started a few weeks ago when it wouldn`t idle at times . Once you began riding it would then idle , but stop it & restart & it wouldn`t idle . I changed the fuel filter , put a tea bag type strainer filter in & one of those screen filters which go in the injector . Also had the injector ultra sonic cleaned . All back together & still a few idle issues ( seemed worse on map 2 ) Headed off today for a 3 day ride & it started loosing power & wouldn`t rev above 5k , it gradually got worse till it would hardly run . Travelled 40 kays at 30 kmh . Wouldn`t idle & would cut out just above idle . Really seemed like fuel starvation .Eventually it wouldn`t run. Trouble is , whenever I turn the ignition on I get the fuel pump whirl noises ???
I had similar symptoms and that time it happened to be not the fuel pump itself but the connection. There are 2 "barbed" connectors on the fuel pump and one of those had broken giving me intermittant power. The vibrations from higher revs seemed to short it out more...
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:20 AM   #911
mazinger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
turn off the lights of the 690 enduro

Hi,
I am new to this thread, although not new to the forum (I also own a GS 12)...
I have just bought a 690 enduro, and I was wandering if there is a way, a protocol to turn off the lights of the bike by following a sequence of pressing the handlebar switches (like in my BMW).
If not, has anyone invented how to do it?
Thank you
MAZ
(SPAIN)
mazinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:42 AM   #912
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazinger View Post
Hi,
I have just bought a 690 enduro, and I was wandering if there is a way, a protocol to turn off the lights of the bike by following a sequence of pressing the handlebar switches (like in my BMW).
Thank you
MAZ
(SPAIN)
unless its something new....the old ones were stuck on...unless you convert to something like the Husaberg switch or put your own switch inline.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:44 AM   #913
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazinger View Post
Hi,
Thank you
MAZ
(SPAIN)
ha, the protocol is remove seat, remove fuse panel cover , pull fuse. I have to do this foe really cold mornings. A euro switch would be trick
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #914
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
You probably wont get any better headlight that is ok for oncoming traffic than a 50 watt, Bi Xenon FX projector beam. Wire it up so that you can turn it on AFTER you start your bike.

FWIW, using the term LED is as generic as "motorcycle" without distinguishing if you are talking about a honda trail 90 or Hayabusa.
I would run the LED lights in conjunction with the stock light. Or just get creative with how they are aimed and wired so that you have a low beam option that does not blind oncoming drivers. My Rigid light is phenomonal and even if its not as bright as an HID it is so simple to use....no ballast, minimal harness...hardly a need for a relay (draws about 1.2 amps per light). A pair of these in conjunction with the stock light and you will be very happy. I'd recommend getting "Spot" patterns.

www.rigidindustries.com

Old 11-18-2011, 07:05 AM   #915
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
A euro switch would be trick
An euro switch from something different than a 690... Even on this side of the pond we never shut lights...
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote