Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #9151
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorich View Post
I think without the SAS to help the cat in the stock pipe reburn, it can actually get even hotter and burn/ melt the fuel tank and plastics... Of course i can't find the post I read that in, maybe someone has a link to it?
Thats enuf info for me NOT to swap out my exhaust.

I contacted a fellow member of my DS club + guy I primarily ride with, and he thinks I will be fine. The Leo has a nice bark, but not as obnoxious as some. Im hoping that they are looking for crazy loud bikes without spark arrestors
wiswoodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #9152
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
On the 690, in the pic above, the contraption the filter is attached to is made from parts of the SAS system glued together. Basically, you need a collector for two hoses and one hose out. If you need more info I can post some pictures that have more detail after work.
Classic! I ordered three filters (950SE, 690ER, and while I'm at it one for my '09 690 Duke3) - out of stock. At least they'll show up some day...
Further details on the 690 set-up would certainly be appreciated.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:53 AM   #9153
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post

I contacted a fellow member of my DS club + guy I primarily ride with, and he thinks I will be fine. The Leo has a nice bark, but not as obnoxious as some. Im hoping that they are looking for crazy loud bikes without spark arrestors

I do wish they made some kind of insert that could quiet your pipe down for brief moments... ie leaving/arriving home super early, super late.
I suppose it would be cheating to use it just for a sound check. But it could be helpful/beneficial on rides when for a few minutes you were passing thru an area you needed to be stealthful in.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:07 AM   #9154
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorich View Post
I think without the SAS to help the cat in the stock pipe reburn, it can actually get even hotter and burn/ melt the fuel tank and plastics... Of course i can't find the post I read that in, maybe someone has a link to it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post

The secondary air injection increases exhaust temp, removing the system decreases it. I'm not sure why the catalytic converter would become hotter? I'd like to read that post if you can find it.
sprouty115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #9155
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,008
A catalytic converter requires a cycle of rich and lean running condition in order for the reduction and oxidation catalysts to work properly. So if you are full rich or full lean you can damage the unit over time and cause adverse things to happen. If the unit just sees a rich mixture it can in effect load up and they can get very hot. If you are taking the emissions parts off the bike you should take the cat off too.

here is a good overview:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter.htm

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #9156
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I do wish they made some kind of insert that could quiet your pipe down for brief moments... ie leaving/arriving home super early, super late.
I suppose it would be cheating to use it just for a sound check. But it could be helpful/beneficial on rides when for a few minutes you were passing thru an area you needed to be stealthful in.
Heck, I just wish they made a can without a cat in it that was no louder then the stocker myself. I don't like any of the after market options because they are all much too loud, but I like burning my gear and flesh even less, so I'm stuck with loud.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #9157
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by albie View Post
heck, i just wish they made a can without a cat in it that was no louder then the stocker myself. I don't like any of the after market options because they are all much too loud, but i like burning my gear and flesh even less, so i'm stuck with loud.
+1...
Old 06-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #9158
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 669
My bike came with the FMF can. I put the db killer in it and it's really not loud at all. Very pleased.
Dealer mech liked it too as he said these engines need a bit of back pressure for good all round operations.
'11 WR250R
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #9159
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
the Wings with the smallest insert is plenty quiet for me. Perhaps my hearing is bad though.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #9160
jorich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
If you really don't want to hear a loud pipe on your 690. I know a guarantied fix. Remove the snorkel on the intake and use an open lid. Walla! You won't even notice the exhaust any more

'10 KTM 690R:)
jorich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #9161
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
My bike came with the FMF can. I put the db killer in it and it's really not loud at all. Very pleased.
Dealer mech liked it too as he said these engines need a bit of back pressure for good all round operations.
My DR 650 came with a FMF Q2, open air box, and a pumper carb. After a year I put all the stock stuff on it and couldn't be more happy. That aftermarket stuff barely made any real performance difference, just a shit load more noise. In fact, the noise generated by the intake and exhaust actually made my rides more fatiguing.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #9162
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
I have the full akro system and it is blueing on one of the 5" pieces of pipe? Everything else looks fine. Any thoughts? Also it makes a funny smell now but that may be the copper rtv gasket maker I used to put the two pieces of the header together. The instructions dont call for it but it is held together by one spring so I figured it wouldnt hurt to make a better seal.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'10 Yamaha TW200 '07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #9163
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Heck, I just wish they made a can without a cat in it that was no louder then the stocker myself. I don't like any of the after market options because they are all much too loud, but I like burning my gear and flesh even less, so I'm stuck with loud.
Can't give you db readings, but my PowerParts non-cat slip-on is very quiet. Dealer said made by FMF, dunno if same specs or not. Rode in a group of KLRs last weekend (that took patience) and it was just as quiet as them. Certainly way quieter than my 530's OEM with cut baffle, which is barky.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #9164
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,008
Quote:
I find the Q4 to be quiet.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #9165
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
A catalytic converter requires a cycle of rich and lean running condition in order for the reduction and oxidation catalysts to work properly...here is a good overview:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter.htm
Thanks for the link, it was actually pretty good.

Quote:
FMF Q4 - A lot lighter, niced sound that is minimally louder then stock and no more melting anything that comes with in foot of the muffler.
sprouty115 is online now   Reply With Quote