Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 01:12 AM   #9286
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
MT43 Trials Tyre on 690

I put an MT43 trials tyre (DOT approved) on the 690 as a bit of an experiment ...

At about 400km, it didn't look as though it would get me home from that ride - central knobs flaking, and a general trackside thumbs down ...

At that point I was running a little over 20psi (we had some section on tar, as well as a fair bit of hard gravel), and I think this was a mistake ...

Unlike a knobby, the tyre really needs to be run on all surfaces at about 10psi - this lets the whole breadth of the tyre stay on the ground - not just the central knobs ...

Having taken the plunge and lowered the pressure to about 10psi I noticed a huge improvement in both handling and knob wear - the pics below show it now at about 2,000km - really not bad considering the weight and HP of the 690, and the speeds it travels at ...

And I'd have to say that it gives the best feeling allround of any rear tyre I've tried - traction on rocks is sensational - can be squirmy on the hard gravel, but way more predictable than the D606 I've been running to date ....

Anyway, an interesting result given the generally poor prognosis at about 400km - this tyre should get me to about 3,000km, which is what I'd generally get out of a D606 - at that point I'll try another one, and this time run it from new at 10psi ...

Well the MT43 came off the 690 today, after about 3,000km of mixed terrain at 10-11psi ...

You can see from the pic below that it's pretty much shagged, but some life left ...

I'm (again) vey surprised by this tyre - not an obvious choice for a 690 - it gives a very nice feel on gravel, and great traction on rock etc - haven't tried it in deep mud ...

Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #9287
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 882
Crap

Just got the FI code for faulty IAT sensor. I still have 35km to go after my shift, in the dark. And its winter, and piss-cold. So tomorrow I get to pull the just-before-the-time-filled-up-EVO 2 tanks and the airbox. Joy.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #9288
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I removed my swingarm after one season and 7,000km. Mine had some water in them and were pitted on one side. I changed out the works.

The OEM grease is more or less a thin film. If I had my time back I would have disassembled all the linkage when new and applied waterproof grease before I ever rode it. My suspension guy, a factory KTM mechanic during the day, said that's exactly what they do with every bike before it's ever on-track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario GS View Post
A couple of question from the mechanically inexperienced if I may.

1) What is the exhaust and intake valve clearance on the 2010 690 Enduro engine?

2) I would like to grease the swing arm bearings, is it a challenge to access\remove the swingarm?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #9289
Krol
_______

Oddometer: 14
I just installed a new Super Plush 90N spring and collar on my 2013 690 Enduro R. So far it is the best mod I've done (also done exhaust, front sprocket and skid). I was only able to take it for a short rip yesterday evening, but so far, the bike feels much more planted and puts the power down more effectively. I'm glad I changed the collar when I did, after only approx. 700km the threads were starting to give, any more and I probably would have had to cut the ring off. I wanted to say that it was a pleasure doing business with James Siddall and crew at Super Plush.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #9290
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krol View Post
I just installed a new Super Plush 90N spring and collar on my 2013 690 Enduro R. So far it is the best mod I've done (also done exhaust, front sprocket and skid).
Can I ask your weight? (I'm also considering new springs from Super Plush.) Also the modified collar- is it also aluminum? Just wider/fatter?
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #9291
13x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I'm having some throttle issues recently.

When I'm traveling down a straight at about 3k-4k rpm the throttle will open up itself for a split second causing a sudden surge.

Problem arise during hard acceleration and upon closing throttle, it remains open for split second again. Had a few close calls due to this. Any idea what is wrong?

And yes the throttle actually turns by itself with minimum pressure from me.
Happened on all 3 settings soft, normal and advance

Will be heading down to my KTM dealer next week to get it checked.

on a 2013 690 ER, with RR foam filter, stock exhaust on stock map (needs remap?)
installed CJ designs filler cap recently could that be the problem?

J.
13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #9292
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906

Damn....there looks like 25-30% tread left That looks good still for gravel and pavement for at least another 1000km....but we always like a fresh tire

Yes, a surprisingly good tire considering the power of the 690....love it on my 450

What is your next rear tire choice?

The Heidenau will be my rear alternative to my current choice of MotoZ desert IT Tractionator.

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #9293
Krol
_______

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen View Post
Can I ask your weight? (I'm also considering new springs from Super Plush.) Also the modified collar- is it also aluminum? Just wider/fatter?
Gen,
I weigh 210lbs. The collar is billet aluminum, but significantly more robust. I should have taken side-by-side pics to show the difference, there really is no comparison. I don't know why KTM didn't provide something like this from the factory.
When I contacted Super Plush, I let them know my weight, riding characteristics and that sometimes, but not that often, I rode with a passenger (105lbs). They suggested I get the 90N spring and then adjust the pre-load if I were riding two-up. They also said that if I were consistently riding two-up I should look at the 100N. Hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #9294
alpine rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
In my search to solve my own life threatening throttle cluster-&*^k, I came across this -

http://shop.schlowycustoms.com/produ...roducts_id/247

Curious if any of you guys have fiddled with this device?

If you follow the links to his story about riding through Africa, you'll find where he discusses the twitchy nature of the throttle on his F800 GS, and how this seemingly simple unit cures the problem.

I've been bitching about that exact issue on my 2010 R since day 1

Has anyone seen these offered on our side of the pond?

I'm down till I get my TuneECU cables. It starts & idles & runs just fine...its just that the throttle seems to have a mind of its own right now, and I never know what it's thinking
alpine rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #9295
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
That happens on my '11 too. Totally random interval but same scenario as yours. Very unnerving! I'm unable to find the problem hence no solution. I suspect the overly complicated & poorly implemented EFI on these bikes is the culprit.

My bike has a professional tune so I've ruled out the shitastic California-friendly programming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13x View Post
I'm having some throttle issues recently.

When I'm traveling down a straight at about 3k-4k rpm the throttle will open up itself for a split second causing a sudden surge.

Problem arise during hard acceleration and upon closing throttle, it remains open for split second again. Had a few close calls due to this. Any idea what is wrong?

And yes the throttle actually turns by itself with minimum pressure from me.
Happened on all 3 settings soft, normal and advance

Will be heading down to my KTM dealer next week to get it checked.

on a 2013 690 ER, with RR foam filter, stock exhaust on stock map (needs remap?)
installed CJ designs filler cap recently could that be the problem?

J.

NovaMoto screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 03:10 PM
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #9296
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post

Damn....there looks like 25-30% tread left That looks good still for gravel and pavement for at least another 1000km....but we always like a fresh tire

Yes, a surprisingly good tire considering the power of the 690....love it on my 450

What is your next rear tire choice?

The Heidenau will be my rear alternative to my current choice of MotoZ desert IT Tractionator.
I could probably have left it on there a bit longer, but doing long rides and like a bit of tread ...

One of the characteristics of this tyre has been no discernible loss of traction as the tyre wore down - I don't think that the tread is as big an issue as it is for knobbies - the stiff sidewalls allow low pressure (10-11psi in this one) and that allows the tyre to flatten out and conform to the terrain - like the foot of a mollusc ...

I've put a Motoz Tractionator H/T (Desert) on the back as another test - a lot of people seem to like them - I've used D606s for years without variation, and good to be trying some alternatives ...

After that, I'll give a Scorpion Rally a go, then probably back to the MT43 - have another of those in the shed on standby - really nice tyre ...

EDIT: the tyre would work well I think on country similar to the Grand canyon ride

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791319

Hoots screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 04:46 PM
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #9297
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
Just got the FI code for faulty IAT sensor. I still have 35km to go after my shift, in the dark. And its winter, and piss-cold. So tomorrow I get to pull the just-before-the-time-filled-up-EVO 2 tanks and the airbox. Joy.
Is it the broken wire syndrome? - http://ktm690.info/index.php/690_Hal...p_Sensor_Wires
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #9298
Mini Trail
nb

Oddometer: 2,217
Is there a section for how to remove stuck bolts from the embedded nuts in the tank?

I tried to remove my rack and one of the bolts was seized in the nut and the nut is turning in the plastic. I drilled the head off of the bolt so i could get to the nut but found it buried somewhere in the plastic and iat still turns. I tried oil, a little heat but i think i am going to need to grab that nut to break the bolt loose. Who here has solved this problem so i don't screw something up experimenting?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #9299
chrislitt
B-KTM-W

Oddometer: 94
air filter discussion location

I know it is in here somewhere, can someone link me to some dialogue about replacing the stock air filter. The bits and pieces I recall is that the RallyRaid is good but noisy. Anyone like the Uni? Thanks!
Donate to your causes 'cause your enemies are outspending you! 2011 R1200GS Adventure,2009 KTM 300XCW, 2009 KTM 690R, Rotarian, Member of AMA / D36, NRA, CRPA, BRC, BMW MOA 174799. Happy to still be working though it interferes with riding!
chrislitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #9300
13x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine rider View Post
In my search to solve my own life threatening throttle cluster-&*^k, I came across this -

http://shop.schlowycustoms.com/produ...roducts_id/247

Curious if any of you guys have fiddled with this device?

If you follow the links to his story about riding through Africa, you'll find where he discusses the twitchy nature of the throttle on his F800 GS, and how this seemingly simple unit cures the problem.

I've been bitching about that exact issue on my 2010 R since day 1

Has anyone seen these offered on our side of the pond?

I'm down till I get my TuneECU cables. It starts & idles & runs just fine...its just that the throttle seems to have a mind of its own right now, and I never know what it's thinking
and i was thinking some supernatural beings are involved.
last resort after TuneECU, im will get the module from the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaMoto View Post
That happens on my '11 too. Totally random interval but same scenario as yours. Very unnerving! I'm unable to find the problem hence no solution. I suspect the overly complicated & poorly implemented EFI on these bikes is the culprit.

My bike has a professional tune so I've ruled out the shitastic California-friendly programming.
and to think i actually went ahead to buy a 2013 model thinking there wasn't major changes since 2012, "it must be safe to get"

or maybe we are not going fast enough.
13x is offline   Reply With Quote