Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #9316
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
check the plug on the backside of the instrument panel...it may have worked loose...
That cable can be finicky but my experience is that if that cable is not seated properly, the tach/spedo won't work either.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #9317
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
OZ-S,
I have had that problem with my '96 BMW 1100GS since new....some wrenches were able to reduce the surging in that rpm range, but recent BMW shop "tuned" it and it is surging and bucking more than ever....back to the shop for a third time....wonder if that would work for the GS?

Thanks for the tip

Ged
Yes, had an 1150 like that. It was related to Throttle Body set-up, but the surging was at steady throttle openings. Incidently, they also had a jumper that could richen it up (even though it was supposed to be used for lower octane fuel)
Old 06-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #9318
sennenhund
n00b

Oddometer: 1
2010 690 enduro starter issues?

Hi all, with 5000 miles on the bike a starter issue has arisen. It appears not to be the battery (as it is charged) but starter attempts to turn over a few times then stops and you can hear an audible clicking sound.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #9319
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
does any one know a fix for disappearing digital speedo numbers? My speedo has just started loosing its digits and this is the replacement 990 version changed under warranty...the quality of these speedos is really way below par KTM
If all else fails check the ground wires that bolt to the frame near the upper right bolt for the gas tank. One of those wires broke and my speedo lost all the digits. There are a bunch of wires that all are connected to ground at that point.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #9320
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennenhund View Post
Hi all, with 5000 miles on the bike a starter issue has arisen. It appears not to be the battery (as it is charged) but starter attempts to turn over a few times then stops and you can hear an audible clicking sound.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Can u hook the bike up to a real shop type charger or another bike?

Original battery? Get it load tested. 14 volts static dont rule out the battery unfortunately.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #9321
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Try bypassing the starter relay. If that works you found your problem.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #9322
jgbnm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine rider View Post
Hmmmm, not the answer I was hoping to hear. Are you saying the light is marginal compared to the BD LED? That I believe....but if yer saying it's marginal compared to the stocker, then I'll keep looking.

Seems like we've got several options if one is willing to shell out 4-500 bucks. I was hoping to keep it on the cheap.

Is the X2 halogen offroad any better? I'm not going down the road of HID. If I have to spend the $$ it'll be an LED
Both halogen options are about the same. I tried the x2 to save $$, but to me it was a waste of $$. YMMV...

Squadron LED is REALLY bright. Needed a dimmer for that one. The SII option might be a good choice with 2 LED's?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
jgbnm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #9323
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,548
My 2013 Speedometer is not working right. Every thing functions properly but the speed and mileage displays. Is there a way to test the speed sensor wire to try and isolate the problem?

I would like to see if it's the display or possibly the cable. Also where is the speed pickup coming from? Is one of the disk brake bolts magnetized? I do not see any other magnet down there.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #9324
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Check the leads & contacts at the battery. Clean them with a scotch bright pad if oxidized. In my case it limited full power to the starter and wouldnt turn the engine over

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennenhund View Post

Any thoughts?

Thanks
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #9325
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Hi,

Tried posting this under a new thread, but got no replies.

I am running the Wings silencer with small tip and the stock air filter with desmog. I am going to try a K&N filter. Is the flow of the K&N different enough to require a remap to a more open filter setting? Is there anyone in the STL area that can do a remap?

Thanks,

MrHix

MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #9326
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
My 2013 Speedometer is not working right. Every thing functions properly but the speed and mileage displays. Is there a way to test the speed sensor wire to try and isolate the problem?

I would like to see if it's the display or possibly the cable. Also where is the speed pickup coming from? Is one of the disk brake bolts magnetized? I do not see any other magnet down there.

Thanks
The 690 wheel pickup is non-magnetic in simple terms. It appears the sensor has three wires, two provide power to a coil in the sensor and one returns a pulse from the coil induced by the passing of the rotor bolt head. Six pulses per revolution. It could be one of the wires is broken.
My interpretation of the wireing diagram would be to check with a meter for voltage on pin 23 and pin 3 to frame ground. One pin should be power to the coil and the other the pluse. You will need to check this by back probing the connector while attached to the cluster and powered on, and the ability to spin the front wheel. Sounds like a three hand job. This is just theory, have not done this myself.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #9327
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 1,029
good will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post

Thanks
In the spirit of this forum and the great people here If you need an extra cable I have one, but it is off an 08 690E. I can dig it out and send you a pic of it if you want.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #9328
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,548
Thanks for the offer. Let me do some more diagnostics using Biped's info first.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #9329
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme

Oddometer: 322
Anyone put a 150/18 on the back???
Will it fit?
Bigbugberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #9330
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 6,099
How'd everyone fix the gas boiling issue with the RR evo-2 tanks? I'm going to order some heat tape but if that doesn't solve it is a ceramic coated header the way to go?
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote