Why not? if it's a 26mm front shouldn't be a problem - just swap the spacers
Old 07-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #9557
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Why not? if it's a 26mm front shouldn't be a problem - just swap the spacers

+1, except that you don't even need to swap the spacers as long as you are using it on a 690 E/R.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #9558
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
Just a simple check, is the bulb alright? new undamaged etc... Is the bulb in correctly? It has been some time since I had a bulb back there, went to LED.
Bulb was fine
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #9559
bruceca2002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
2 yes and 1 no if the front EXC wheel will fit!!! Has anyone tried this swap so we know for sure?
bruceca2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #9560
KC-10ENG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno950 View Post
Good stuff,very resonable price!
If you look around you might find them a little cheaper than what KTM Twins sells them for.
KC-10ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #9561
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceca2002 View Post
2 yes and 1 no if the front EXC wheel will fit!!! Has anyone tried this swap so we know for sure?
Well, I am using wheel bearings/seals/spacers from an EXC and the front rotors are interchangeable (as far as bolting to the hub) sooo... the only notable differences will be the stock 690 rim is 1.85" wide while the EXC rim is 1.6" wide and the EXC hubs are polished I believe. I'd put money on it that they are a direct swap.

The Letter J screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 08:02 PM Reason: rotors
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #9562
ktmmitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceca2002 View Post
Can you use the front wheel from an EXC on the 690? Thanks
Yes,just change the disc(rotor)
ktmmitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #9563
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
Well, I am using wheel bearings/seals/spacers from an EXC and the front rotors are interchangeable (as far as bolting to the hub) sooo... the only notable differences will be the stock 690 rim is 1.85" wide while the EXC rim is 1.6" wide and the EXC hubs are polished I believe. I'd put money on it that they are a direct swap.
The 690 rotor thickness is different, but I have switched front wheels between my 300XC and 690e to get a DOT tire on the front when getting each bike inspected.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #9564
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Again, any 26mm EXC wheel will bolt straight on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
The 690 rotor thickness is different, but I have switched front wheels between my 300XC and 690e to get a DOT tire on the front when getting each bike inspected.
Same 4mm thickness, but 300mm diameter on the 690 E/R instead of 260mm on the EXC.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #9565
Just_P_Dirty
Its more fun when Dirty!

Oddometer: 270
did anyone just leave the stock exhaust on and not melt anything? did anyone just try sticking heat shield material on the tank near the pipe? i went for my first offroad ride last sunday and bottomed out about 3 times on some small jumps on the trail. ok small is about 2-4ft in 3-4 gear. on one of them i scrubbed the front tire on the back of the fender...i though the stock suspension was stiff enough. i guess not. i weight about 200 pounds without gear. good news is i didnt break the seat??? but i guess i have to start clicking the knobs. anyone have luck with it or looking at spring changes? i have a 13 R
Old 07-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #9566
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_P_Dirty View Post
did anyone just leave the stock exhaust on and not melt anything? did anyone just try sticking heat shield material on the tank near the pipe? i went for my first offroad ride last sunday and bottomed out about 3 times on some small jumps on the trail. ok small is about 2-4ft in 3-4 gear. on one of them i scrubbed the front tire on the back of the fender...i though the stock suspension was stiff enough. i guess not. i weight about 200 pounds without gear. good news is i didnt break the seat??? but i guess i have to start clicking the knobs. anyone have luck with it or looking at spring changes? i have a 13 R
I suspect there's a bit of poetic license at play here ...

If you hit a 4-foot jump on a 690 travelling well in 4th gear, you'll end up on the moon ...

Seriously, you'll end up a very long way from the jump and will have experienced periods of mild oxygen depletion ...

Check these blokes hitting something smaller ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Gj6mkUdsM

At apprx 90kg you're pretty heavy, and with gear a lot heavier than the 'standard' rider - obviously need to get the static sag right, then comp/rebound - and you'll probably need stiffer fork springs ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #9567
Just_P_Dirty
Its more fun when Dirty!

Oddometer: 270
most of the jumps were alittle taller and all of them had way bigger drop offs- the ground was alot lower on the other side. i was not always at that speed but you can accel thru the gears quick. i was hearing the tires squeal a couple times when i landed- no mx stuff just more serious elevation changes an clay dirt mounds- mostly in third but one time i was moving and hit three spaced just right apart- thats when it hit 4th...lol i am not a pro by any means but i might just be alittle too agressive or heavy or both
Old 07-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #9568
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 690
start with a heavier rear spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_P_Dirty View Post
i went for my first offroad ride last sunday and bottomed out about 3 times on some small jumps on the trail. ok small is about 2-4ft in 3-4 gear. on one of them i scrubbed the front tire on the back of the fender...i though the stock suspension was stiff enough. i guess not. i weight about 200 pounds without gear. good news is i didnt break the seat??? but i guess i have to start clicking the knobs. anyone have luck with it or looking at spring changes? i have a 13 R

As delivered from the factory the suspension is very unbalanced with the front being harsh in the initial stroke yet too soft on bigger hits. The stock .52kg/mm front springs are just about spot on for your weight. Being that the stock forks would have needed quite a bit of work ($$$) to make them work how I'd like, I opted to swap forks entirely and went with 300mm travel closed chamber forks from a 505. I had to buy springs for the CC forks and went with the factory rate of .52kg/mm. After a revalve by a reputable tuner here in SoCal I now have excellent small bump/chop compliance as well as being able to take big hits (even mx style stuff) without bottoming.

The rear suspension, on the other hand, is under sprung and under dampened. I weigh ~230lbs and have changed out the rear spring a few times. Currently running a 95nm (stock is 80nm) and I'm considering going up to 105nm+ (typically recommended for riders 275-300lbs) to lessen the amount of spring preload necessary to get my race sag where I like it. This is of course just my personal preference for bike setup as I have always ran stiffer rear springs and softer front springs compared to what online calculators might show for me on all of my bikes past and present. At 200lbs, the 95nm ought to be about right for you with aggressive riding. I have had a lot more valving added to both the compression and rebound shim stacks as well as lengthening the travel to ~285mm... I will add even more to the compression stack during the next rebuild.

So to sum it up: the 690 suspension can be tuned to haul ass through the rough stuff and keep up with 450's and the like (and yes, even overtake them) in the desert or sailing off of firebreaks. Holding freeway speed in the whoops isn't out of reach either (though I'll still need some more tuning on the rear shock before I have total confidence that it can maintain that kind of speed.)
Old 07-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #9569
ktmmitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
We have developed,in conjunction with Tractive Suspension from Holland(all ex-WP tech team) 3 different types of rear shock for KTM 690 Enduro.

The Rallye Shock is a PDS(twin piston), top of the range shock,giving 300mm travel,to match the EXC fork conversion a lot of riders are doing.We have used these in a few rallies now,and the difference in performance is very noticeable.

The Adventure Shock is meant as a straight replacement for the stock shock,available in 3 lengths,250,275 & 300mm,to give maximum choice.It has high & low compression damping,and another unique feature is Tractive's own ride-height adjustment.This can give up to 28mm change in ride height,by means of a threaded lower shock mount,so no need for aftermarket linkages.

The Overland Shock is a rugged,easy to operate rear shock,designed for the Overland rider who may carry extra luggage or pillion passenger and needs to alter preload quickly.It comes as standard with a hydraulic preload adjuster so that with the turn of a remote handle,the spring preload can be altered by up to 10mm.Available in 250 &275mm lengths.Also available with ride height adjustment as standard.

These are all available ex-stock from this week,and we can supply them fitted with the correct spring weight to suit the rider,please inform us when ordering.

Rally-Raid Products Ltd are the UK Service Centre for Tractive Suspension,and can also offer a full rebuild and service facility for any of their products.All Tractive Suspension products have a full 2 year warranty.
ktmmitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #9570
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
We have developed,in conjunction with Tractive Suspension from Holland(all ex-WP tech team) 3 different types of rear shock for KTM 690 Enduro.

The Rallye Shock is a PDS(twin piston), top of the range shock,giving 300mm travel,to match the EXC fork conversion a lot of riders are doing.We have used these in a few rallies now,and the difference in performance is very noticeable.

The Adventure Shock is meant as a straight replacement for the stock shock,available in 3 lengths,250,275 & 300mm,to give maximum choice.It has high & low compression damping,and another unique feature is Tractive's own ride-height adjustment.This can give up to 28mm change in ride height,by means of a threaded lower shock mount,so no need for aftermarket linkages.

The Overland Shock is a rugged,easy to operate rear shock,designed for the Overland rider who may carry extra luggage or pillion passenger and needs to alter preload quickly.It comes as standard with a hydraulic preload adjuster so that with the turn of a remote handle,the spring preload can be altered by up to 10mm.Available in 250 &275mm lengths.Also available with ride height adjustment as standard.

These are all available ex-stock from this week,and we can supply them fitted with the correct spring weight to suit the rider,please inform us when ordering.

Rally-Raid Products Ltd are the UK Service Centre for Tractive Suspension,and can also offer a full rebuild and service facility for any of their products.All Tractive Suspension products have a full 2 year warranty.
Prices???