ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #9571
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
I take off, from my tip toes no less, and went for a full tank of fuel and about a fifteen mile ride. I found that it tends to want to flame out if you chop the throttle while slowing to a stop. It tried to die a few times doing this and finally flamed out completely in my driveway. It was also hard to start afterward. No codes. Is this normal?
All in all I love the bike. I can tell it will get stronger and stronger over the next 1000 miles. It's has that new motor feel to it like it needs to seat in.

Oh, and mine had MT-21's.
So now I will need to order the service manual for removing the shock and I guess I need to go ahead and order the heavy duty replacement spanner nut.

Brad
Well Brad, if you went thru 3 gallons of gas in 15 minutes you have the first 2013 that's running rich. Mine has never died/flamed out on me with either the stock or FMF can I now run with the stock MAP and air filter. I get between 50 and 60 MPG depending on the wind and my right wrist.
__________________
2013 KTM 690 (Thanks FLHRCI Buyer! )
2011 990 Adventure Dakar (Thank you Honey!)
2010 Aprilia RSV4 Factory
2010 Ducati 1198S

DuctTape screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 08:53 PM
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #9572
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Well Brad if you went thru 3 gallons of gas in 15 minutes you have the first 2013 with a rich running problem. I get between 50 and 60 MPG depending on the wind and my right wrist.
Ha! What I said was a fill up of fuel and a 15 mile ride.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #9573
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Ha! What I said was a fill up of fuel and a 15 mile ride.
LOL, thought it was strange but ya never know.
__________________
2013 KTM 690 (Thanks FLHRCI Buyer! )
2011 990 Adventure Dakar (Thank you Honey!)
2010 Aprilia RSV4 Factory
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #9574
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
We are going over to Tractive's HQ in next few weeks for training,so hope to bring first-off cartridge back.
Price of kit expected to be about 350
That's great - thanks.
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:06 AM   #9575
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
I found that it tends to want to flame out if you chop the throttle while slowing to a stop. It tried to die a few times doing this and finally flamed out completely in my driveway. It was also hard to start afterward. No codes. Is this normal?
Normal, no, does it happen a lot, yes. Could be the dealer didn't do the 15 minute idle routine. Just disconnect the battery for a few seconds, then reconnect it, Start it up and let it idle for 15 minutes. See if that helps. If not, then a remap is probably in your future.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #9576
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Normal, no, does it happen a lot, yes. Could be the dealer didn't do the 15 minute idle routine. Just disconnect the battery for a few seconds, then reconnect it, Start it up and let it idle for 15 minutes. See if that helps. If not, then a remap is probably in your future.
Thanks for the reply, Albie. I will do the idle reset procedure today. I have Tune ECU but have yet to get the cable. The bike runs great other than the flameout I described.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #9577
StepOnIt
Assitoner
 
StepOnIt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Huntsville ON.
Oddometer: 1,032
Laugh Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Thanks for the reply, Albie. I will do the idle reset procedure today. I have Tune ECU but have yet to get the cable. The bike runs great other than the flameout I described.
I was having the same problem with the flame out in slow corners. I did the the tune ecu thing and wow what a difference. I recommend it ASAP even if you have to pay to get it done.
__________________
The road less traveled is the road I travel more.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #9578
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer
 
sprouty115's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
I was having the same problem with the flame out in slow corners. I did the the tune ecu thing and wow what a difference. I recommend it ASAP even if you have to pay to get it done.

I've re-mapped my Triumph using tune ECU, but what exactly is the "tune ECU thing" for the 690?
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #9579
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
I've re-mapped my Triumph using tune ECU, but what exactly is the "tune ECU thing" for the 690?
Same thing basically, obviously there are KTM 690 specific maps. The dongles is a little different, you can find pinouts to wire them up since you already have a ODBII cable, you just need the KTM connector.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #9580
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
I was having the same problem with the flame out in slow corners. I did the the tune ecu thing and wow what a difference. I recommend it ASAP even if you have to pay to get it done.
I've been running the Akra map in mine for quite a while and I finally played around with another inmates suggested tweaks to the map. Oh man what a difference!
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #9581
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I've been running the Akra map in mine for quite a while and I finally played around with another inmates suggested tweaks to the map. Oh man what a difference!
Please do share. Can you forward the map?.
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #9582
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Please do share. Can you forward the map?.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....9&postcount=13
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #9583
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Picked up the new 690 today.
I found that it tends to want to flame out if you chop the throttle while slowing to a stop. It tried to die a few times doing this and finally flamed out completely in my driveway. It was also hard to start afterward. No codes. Is this normal?
Is this a brand new 2013 bike?

Does it have an aftermarket (foam) air filter +/- muffler?

As others have suggested, this problem seems to be linked to inappropriate mapping - but if the bike is new then it would be sensible IMO to get the dealer to check the map and (if necessary) load a different one directly from KTM - mine is a 2012, and I had problems with the Akrapovic map from KTM before the foam air filter arrived and I added that to the bike - all good - the KTM Akra map needs both ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #9584
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
burmbuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South East USA
Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Is this a brand new 2013 bike?

Does it have an aftermarket (foam) air filter +/- muffler?

As others have suggested, this problem seems to be linked to inappropriate mapping - but if the bike is new then it would be sensible IMO to get the dealer to check the map and (if necessary) load a different one directly from KTM - mine is a 2012, and I had problems with the Akrapovic map from KTM before the foam air filter arrived and I added that to the bike - all good - the KTM Akra map needs both ...
Well your description matches mine to a T. I have a brand new 2013. I had them add a FMF Q4 and re-map before pickup. I have a Uni Filter on order and will arrive on Tuesday. So hopefully the filter will resolve it. If not, I don't want to take it back as its 3 hours away. I have others closer to me but not sure I want them touching the bike, per their reputation.
How did yours act? Inconsistent idle and occasional flame out when coming to a stop?
Thanks for the post. I feel a bit better now. I also plan on de-catting it in a week or so when I can get away from work again,
__________________
_______________
2013 KTM 690 Enduro R
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #9585
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Well your description matches mine to a T. I have a brand new 2013. I had them add a FMF Q4 and re-map before pickup. I have a Uni Filter on order and will arrive on Tuesday. So hopefully the filter will resolve it. If not, I don't want to take it back as its 3 hours away. I have others closer to me but not sure I want them touching the bike, per their reputation.
How did yours act? Inconsistent idle and occasional flame out when coming to a stop?
Thanks for the post. I feel a bit better now. I also plan on de-catting it in a week or so when I can get away from work again,
Yes, exactly these symptoms - you'd ride it hard into a corner, hit the brakes and the thing would die - not always - in fact, not all that often - but maybe 2-3 times each ride ...

In my case the inconsistent idle lead to an intermittent oil light flashing - i.e. idling too low - particularly when hot - still does this occasionally, but only when very hot ...

I'd just ride it in a bit till the foam filter is on there - you'll notice a huge difference in engine responsiveness with the foam (vs stock paper) filter - even more marked (IMO) with the RallRaid Twin Air filter kit, but in my experience that has some problems re' exposure to water if you don't also have the full ADV or rally fairing - I took mine off and went to a Unifilter instead, as that sits within the OEM snorkel and is protected - not quite as much breathing, but heaps better than the stock filter ...

[the motor roars with the Twin Air filter]

I don't know why they sell the bike with that stock filter - it would put a lot of test-riders off purchase ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015