Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #9616
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 935
Laugh Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Thanks for the reply, Albie. I will do the idle reset procedure today. I have Tune ECU but have yet to get the cable. The bike runs great other than the flameout I described.
I was having the same problem with the flame out in slow corners. I did the the tune ecu thing and wow what a difference. I recommend it ASAP even if you have to pay to get it done.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #9617
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
I was having the same problem with the flame out in slow corners. I did the the tune ecu thing and wow what a difference. I recommend it ASAP even if you have to pay to get it done.

I've re-mapped my Triumph using tune ECU, but what exactly is the "tune ECU thing" for the 690?
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #9618
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
I've re-mapped my Triumph using tune ECU, but what exactly is the "tune ECU thing" for the 690?
Same thing basically, obviously there are KTM 690 specific maps. The dongles is a little different, you can find pinouts to wire them up since you already have a ODBII cable, you just need the KTM connector.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #9619
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
I've been running the Akra map in mine for quite a while and I finally played around with another inmates suggested tweaks to the map. Oh man what a difference!

Old 07-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #9620
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I've been running the Akra map in mine for quite a while and I finally played around with another inmates suggested tweaks to the map. Oh man what a difference!
Please do share. Can you forward the map?.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #9621
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Please do share. Can you forward the map?.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....9&postcount=13

Old 07-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #9622
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Picked up the new 690 today.
I found that it tends to want to flame out if you chop the throttle while slowing to a stop. It tried to die a few times doing this and finally flamed out completely in my driveway. It was also hard to start afterward. No codes. Is this normal?
Is this a brand new 2013 bike?

Does it have an aftermarket (foam) air filter +/- muffler?

As others have suggested, this problem seems to be linked to inappropriate mapping - but if the bike is new then it would be sensible IMO to get the dealer to check the map and (if necessary) load a different one directly from KTM - mine is a 2012, and I had problems with the Akrapovic map from KTM before the foam air filter arrived and I added that to the bike - all good - the KTM Akra map needs both ...
Hoots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #9623
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Is this a brand new 2013 bike?

Does it have an aftermarket (foam) air filter +/- muffler?

As others have suggested, this problem seems to be linked to inappropriate mapping - but if the bike is new then it would be sensible IMO to get the dealer to check the map and (if necessary) load a different one directly from KTM - mine is a 2012, and I had problems with the Akrapovic map from KTM before the foam air filter arrived and I added that to the bike - all good - the KTM Akra map needs both ...
Well your description matches mine to a T. I have a brand new 2013. I had them add a FMF Q4 and re-map before pickup. I have a Uni Filter on order and will arrive on Tuesday. So hopefully the filter will resolve it. If not, I don't want to take it back as its 3 hours away. I have others closer to me but not sure I want them touching the bike, per their reputation.
How did yours act? Inconsistent idle and occasional flame out when coming to a stop?
Thanks for the post. I feel a bit better now. I also plan on de-catting it in a week or so when I can get away from work again,
Old 07-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #9624
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Well your description matches mine to a T. I have a brand new 2013. I had them add a FMF Q4 and re-map before pickup. I have a Uni Filter on order and will arrive on Tuesday. So hopefully the filter will resolve it. If not, I don't want to take it back as its 3 hours away. I have others closer to me but not sure I want them touching the bike, per their reputation.
How did yours act? Inconsistent idle and occasional flame out when coming to a stop?
Thanks for the post. I feel a bit better now. I also plan on de-catting it in a week or so when I can get away from work again,
Yes, exactly these symptoms - you'd ride it hard into a corner, hit the brakes and the thing would die - not always - in fact, not all that often - but maybe 2-3 times each ride ...

In my case the inconsistent idle lead to an intermittent oil light flashing - i.e. idling too low - particularly when hot - still does this occasionally, but only when very hot ...

I'd just ride it in a bit till the foam filter is on there - you'll notice a huge difference in engine responsiveness with the foam (vs stock paper) filter - even more marked (IMO) with the RallRaid Twin Air filter kit, but in my experience that has some problems re' exposure to water if you don't also have the full ADV or rally fairing - I took mine off and went to a Unifilter instead, as that sits within the OEM snorkel and is protected - not quite as much breathing, but heaps better than the stock filter ...

[the motor roars with the Twin Air filter]

I don't know why they sell the bike with that stock filter - it would put a lot of test-riders off purchase ...
Old 07-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #9625
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, exactly these symptoms - you'd ride it hard into a corner, hit the brakes and the thing would die - not always - in fact, not all that often - but maybe 2-3 times each ride ...

In my case the inconsistent idle lead to an intermittent oil light flashing - i.e. idling too low - particularly when hot - still does this occasionally, but only when very hot ...

I'd just ride it in a bit till the foam filter is on there - you'll notice a huge difference in engine responsiveness with the foam (vs stock paper) filter - even more marked (IMO) with the RallRaid Twin Air filter kit, but in my experience that has some problems re' exposure to water if you don't also have the full ADV or rally fairing - I took mine off and went to a Unifilter instead, as that sits within the OEM snorkel and is protected - not quite as much breathing, but heaps better than the stock filter ...

[the motor roars with the Twin Air filter]

I don't know why they sell the bike with that stock filter - it would put a lot of test-riders off purchase ...
Thanks, Hoots. You have been a great help. I will post back on this when I get the filter in this week. Hopefully that will do it.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #9626
bruceca2002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Hoots

is the filter you are talking about the one that is sold through KTM hard parts? The one with the 2 cones that fits in the stock air box. Thanks
bruceca2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #9627
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceca2002 View Post
Hoots

is the filter you are talking about the one that is sold through KTM hard parts? The one with the 2 cones that fits in the stock air box. Thanks
I believe he is speaking of the Aussie designed one you can get through KTW Twins. Dual cone on a sealing mat that fits into the existing snorkel.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #9628
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I believe he is speaking of the Aussie designed one you can get through KTW Twins. Dual cone on a sealing mat that fits into the existing snorkel.
There are two options:

(a) the Twin Air kit from Rally Raid
(b) the Unifilter OEM replacement, which can be bought through KTM hard parts or as a cheaper Unifilter part through all the usual parts suppliers - the KTM hard parts filter is orange, and the Unifilter branded one is blue - but they are identical filters - I've confirmed that in speaking to Unifilter.

The Twin Air kit is great in terms of performance but, because you remove the snorkel, is very exposed - the problem is worse if you have the RR Evo-2 tanks, as installation of those requires removal of the side panels and black plastic guarding below the key area - you can actually stand next to the bike and look at the unprotected foam air filter (pic below), which is a bit of a worry re' rain, excessive dust, etc ...

I guess the Twin Air kit was designed for use in rally bikes, which have the protection of the full fairing ...

The Unifilter is fine, but doesn't seem to have quite the impact of the Twin Air filter (IMO) - the Twin Air filter really is dramatic, although it also makes the bike incredibly loud - really does roar ...

I'm happy with the Unifilter, and will on-sell the Rally Raid Twin Air kit ...

Old 07-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #9629
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
There are two options:

(a) the Twin Air kit from Rally Raid
(b) the Unifilter OEM replacement, which can be bought through KTM hard parts or as a cheaper Unifilter part through all the usual parts suppliers - the KTM hard parts filter is orange, and the Unifilter branded one is blue - but they are identical filters - I've confirmed that in speaking to Unifilter.

The Twin Air kit is great in terms of performance but, because you remove the snorkel, is very exposed - the problem is worse if you have the RR Evo-2 tanks, as installation of those requires removal of the side panels and black plastic guarding below the key area - you can actually stand next to the bike and look at the unprotected foam air filter (pic below), which is a bit of a worry re' rain, excessive dust, etc ...

I guess the Twin Air kit was designed for use in rally bikes, which have the protection of the full fairing ...

The Unifilter is fine, but doesn't seem to have quite the impact of the Twin Air filter (IMO) - the Twin Air filter really is dramatic, although it also makes the bike incredibly loud - really does roar ...

I'm happy with the Unifilter, and will on-sell the Rally Raid Twin Air kit ...

I just talked to Uni today and they sent me a pic of the NU-1417ST and it is black now. Bold new graphics???

Found a couple (with wrong pics) for about $30 on Amazon.

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #9630
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,097
From Uni-filter: ($64.95)

from KTM: ($104)

From parts Unlimited: ($43.95) 1011-2027

For note: the whole sale price on this is like $6....I bought a couple on a deal through a shop.

So if you get the KTM version you are spending $40 for the color orange....and the Uni-filter green version is a $20 premium for green.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote