Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #9646
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 726
Okay, that supports your frictions being toast. If you had lost fluid in the system the clutch would not disengage, opposite of the symptoms you are having. If the lever was hard, you either just momentarily got the frictions hot (causing them to swell, which sometimes goes back to normal after cooling) or you had water in the clutch fluid that got hot and boiled. Your situation sounds pretty cut and dry... burnt clutch.

For the time being, just downshift if you feel it starting to slip, accelerate slowly, keep your speed down and try not to lug the motor... your clutch will have more mechanical advantage over the wheel in a lower gear, making it less likely to slip. Ideally you'd just stop traveling and replace it, but taking it easy might keep you moving.

I had to replace mine right at 5k miles and really should replace it again now at ~12k miles.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #9647
Kirkster
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
Okay, that supports your frictions being toast. If you had lost fluid in the system the clutch would not disengage, opposite of the symptoms you are having. If the lever was hard, you either just momentarily got the frictions hot (causing them to swell, which sometimes goes back to normal after cooling) or you had water in the clutch fluid that got hot and boiled. Your situation sounds pretty cut and dry... burnt clutch.

For the time being, just downshift if you feel it starting to slip, accelerate slowly, keep your speed down and try not to lug the motor... your clutch will have more mechanical advantage over the wheel in a lower gear, making it less likely to slip. Ideally you'd just stop traveling and replace it, but taking it easy might keep you moving.

I had to replace mine right at 5k miles and really should replace it again now at ~12k miles.
Well if. Is is slipping in the morning I will order a whole new clutch pack from somewhere and get it overnighted.

Thanks for the quick response. Will find out in the morning...

K
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #9648
Fabless
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Preload adjust without removing shock: one solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Picked up the new 690 today. Stormed the entire way up there and back, over 3 hours each way. [...]

I decided to set the sag on the shock as the height was a bit high and it only had about two inches of sag from the dealer.
Took the weight off the rear wheel and started backing off the spanner nut using a piece of key stock. Got it about 3/16" up and was afraid the spanner nut wouldn't last much longer with the beating so it looks like I will have to remove the shock and adjust it outside of the bike. That sucks.
[...]

Brad
I bought this spanner wrench: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00415XAH0

Using a grinder, I contoured the handle to improve its reach around the shock and trellis frame so I can adjust preload without removing the shock.

Cheap and easy.

-Fabless
Fabless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #9649
Oldbear
Don't want a pickle

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post
Well we made a wrong turn on the TAT in Utah today. I really abused my clutch in deep sand for a long time. When we finally made it back to pavement my clutch was slipping big time. In 6th on the highway anything over 4500 rpm and the clutch would start slipping. Where should I start looking?

Look in the manual and nothing. There does not appear to be any leakage from the master. I have not looked at the fluid in e slave yet. Exhausted...
Might be a stupid question but did you check the fluid level in the master?

If it was on the upper level it's probably overfilled now after the abuse. That's probably the most common reason for people burning their clutches on low mileage.
Oldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:32 AM   #9650
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabless View Post
I bought this spanner wrench: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00415XAH0

Using a grinder, I contoured the handle to improve its reach around the shock and trellis frame so I can adjust preload without removing the shock.

Cheap and easy.

-Fabless
Awesome. Thanks, Fabless
Old 07-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #9651
Kirkster
Parts Murderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
So what is the question? Your clutch is burnt, you need a new one.

It is really easy to change and I could easily do it trailside if I had the parts... being that you are on the road, your best bet might be ordering a cheap(er) replacement (only because it is more likely to be in stock) online and having it overnighted.

EBC part #DRC205 is a complete kit to fit the 690 and there are offbrand variations on Ebay by "Outlaw Racing" for very cheap. I don't know the KTM part number for a "kit" but if you buy 3, 28, 29, 30, and 31 in the listed quantities here: http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....&c=0&d=-CLUTCH you will have the same thing.

outlaw kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outlaw-Racin...1a9a9e&vxp=mtr

EBC kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-KTM-690-E...28e14e&vxp=mtr

EBC friction plates only: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EBC-Clutch-F...6e7915&vxp=mtr

One question for you: does your clutch lever feel abnormally stiff and go back to normal(ish) when cool?

Stupid question but is the DRC205 going to fit a 2012 690 enduro?
07 WR 450F
Old 07-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #9652
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post
Stupid question but is the DRC205 going to fit a 2012 690 enduro?
My guess would be yes. But I would compare the part numbers for the stock clutch pack from say a 2010 with a 2012 and see if it is different. The clutch has always worked well so I find it unlikely that they did any major changes on it.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #9653
Kirkster
Parts Murderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
My guess would be yes. But I would compare the part numbers for the stock clutch pack from say a 2010 with a 2012 and see if it is different. The clutch has always worked well so I find it unlikely that they did any major changes on it.
I did the stare and compare and the part numbers are the same.

Parts are ordered next day air...

Thanks guys...
07 WR 450F
Old 07-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #9654
Jarrek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Hey guys!

Quick question: I've just received my UNI Filter (NU-1417ST) but it's not preoiled, so I gotta buy some filter oil. I decided to go with oil spray because it's much more convenient. What brand would you use? Is Motul good? I'm looking at Motul A2 right now.
Jarrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #9655
CoolHands
travelling

Oddometer: 32
Question What little mods need doing?

I have a new 690 smc-r ie with the new 690 engine. Are there any mods I need to do like last time around a coupl eof years ago when I had a 690 enduro?

ie I've forgotton the list of preventative measure jobs
1) fuel pipe protection (does that still need doing?)
2) fan - vague memory of rubbing fins. (is that still an issue on new ones?)
3) tank bolts. (no-one seems to mention them anymore, are they really a problem?)

fourthly, does anyone else find they get the feeling that the clutch doesn't disengage properly. Mine always feels like the gears are slightly hitting each other when you change gear, even though there is no graunching. I remember my old enduro has the same feeling so is this a characteristic of these bikes?
CoolHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #9656
yuu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHands View Post
I have a new 690 smc-r ie with the new 690 engine. Are there any mods I need to do like last time around a coupl eof years ago when I had a 690 enduro?

ie I've forgotton the list of preventative measure jobs
1) fuel pipe protection (does that still need doing?)
2) fan - vague memory of rubbing fins. (is that still an issue on new ones?)
3) tank bolts. (no-one seems to mention them anymore, are they really a problem?)

fourthly, does anyone else find they get the feeling that the clutch doesn't disengage properly. Mine always feels like the gears are slightly hitting each other when you change gear, even though there is no graunching. I remember my old enduro has the same feeling so is this a characteristic of these bikes?
1) Unless they changed the frame or the stock routing, you'll need to move that hose a little bit - not big deal
2) Cheap and easy to add some soft edging to the fan - so why not
3) Not sure if they changed the design... so no thoughts
4) I don't have that problem. The box is a little more crunchy than my Ducs, but not anything that makes me feel there's an issue.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #9657
CoolHands
travelling

does anyone know where I can get one of these cheaper ones in the UK for my ktm690?

Also I presume it fits with that air-box with holes in? (I've forgotton the proper name for it /part number; anyone know?)

thanks if you can help
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
From Uni-filter: ($64.95)

from KTM: ($104)

From parts Unlimited: ($43.95) 1011-2027

For note: the whole sale price on this is like $6....I bought a couple on a deal through a shop.

So if you get the KTM version you are spending $40 for the color orange....and the Uni-filter green version is a $20 premium for green.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #9658
CoolHands
travelling

thanks. I'll take a look while the weather is nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuu View Post
1) Unless they changed the frame or the stock routing, you'll need to move that hose a little bit - not big deal
2) Cheap and easy to add some soft edging to the fan - so why not
3) Not sure if they changed the design... so no thoughts
4) I don't have that problem. The box is a little more crunchy than my Ducs, but not anything that makes me feel there's an issue.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #9659
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,958
Hey folks, I decided to go shopping for a new KTM990 Enduro R today and ready to pull the trigger. Of two dealers, one wouldn't deal at all and no test ride and the other would deal and test ride, so guess where I went...

Last year I spent about 5 days mostly offroad on a borrowed well sorted 2010 (650 variant) and enjoyed it a lot, great handling bike for it's size and could carry GL luggage easily.

So, I hopped on a brand new 2013 and took it for a ride. Plenty of power, even choked up OEM. However out on the freeway at 65-70mph that bike vibed so bad I couldn't see anything in the mirrors and it was a hard buzz on the hands, not as bad as the old 640 but quite a bit harder than the 690(650) I rode last year. My hands started tingling after just 10 miles of that.

The dealer then let me hop on a 690 Duke and whoa, WAY smoother, in fact pleasant. The bars on the Duke are rubber mounted so no doubt that made a big difference.

What have you 2012 (690cc) and above owners done about the vibes if anything? Anyone tried Flexx Bars, KTM hard parts bar clamp anti-vibe kit, BRP/Scotts anti-vibe kit, etc. on the new 690 and does it help?

Also the 690 engines on the 2013 Enduro R and Duke were both really noisy at idle, with a fairly loud knocking/clatter from the right engine side, worse when warmed up. I don't remember that from the other older 690's I've ridden, so maybe it's a brand-new engine thing and goes away with break-in? Curious about your experiences there.

My overall first impression of the 2013 690 Enduro R was not that good due to the vibes and really loud engine clanking at idle (even the shop guys thought is was quite loud too and are looking into it), so I haven't taken the plunge yet.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #9660
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,299
With my wrists I'm extremely affected by vibrations.

My 2009 690 (650) vibrated really bad. Could barely see anything in the mirrors.
I installed the heavy Vibranators in my bar ends and can now see things pretty good.
I installed the inside versions on my 950A as well. Had to do that syle due to the Kaoke throttle lock.

I can't say enough good about the Ricor Vibranator stuff.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote