Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #9661
wsmc831
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
I have flex bars on my 690 and 500. While I like them, they don't reduce vibes.

They'll go down once the motor is broken in, I noticed no difference between my 10 and friends 12 once he got 500 miles or so on it.

I had a 2008 Duke for a few years, was definitely smoother. Also less power and a whole lot less fun, sold it 3 months ago.
2013 500 Exc
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #9662
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
With my wrists I'm extremely affected by vibrations.
My 2009 690 (650) vibrated really bad. Could barely see anything in the mirrors.
I installed the heavy Vibranators in my bar ends and can now see things pretty good.
I installed the inside versions on my 950A as well. Had to do that syle due to the Kaoke throttle lock.
I can't say enough good about the Ricor Vibranator stuff.
Really good to know, but the vibration thing is interesting as there seems to be quite a big variation amongst bikes ...

Mine doesn't vibrate at all and, like you, I have wrists that would play up if it did ...

Hard to know what the source of / reason for vibration is ...

Anyway, good that the Vibranator stuff works ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #9663
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Really good to know, but the vibration thing is interesting as there seems to be quite a big variation amongst bikes ...

Mine doesn't vibrate at all and, like you, I have wrists that would play up if it did ...

Hard to know what the source of / reason for vibration is ...

Anyway, good that the Vibranator stuff works ...
Hoots, what model year is yours? Hard to believe there's that much vibe variation among the same model bikes/engines. That would indicate horrible quality control at the KTM factory.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #9664
MeinMotorrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Hey folks, I decided to go shopping for a new KTM990 Enduro R today and ready to pull the trigger. Of two dealers, one wouldn't deal at all and no test ride and the other would deal and test ride, so guess where I went...

Last year I spent about 5 days mostly offroad on a borrowed well sorted 2010 (650 variant) and enjoyed it a lot, great handling bike for it's size and could carry GL luggage easily.

So, I hopped on a brand new 2013 and took it for a ride. Plenty of power, even choked up OEM. However out on the freeway at 65-70mph that bike vibed so bad I couldn't see anything in the mirrors and it was a hard buzz on the hands, not as bad as the old 640 but quite a bit harder than the 690(650) I rode last year. My hands started tingling after just 10 miles of that.

The dealer then let me hop on a 690 Duke and whoa, WAY smoother, in fact pleasant. The bars on the Duke are rubber mounted so no doubt that made a big difference.

What have you 2012 (690cc) and above owners done about the vibes if anything? Anyone tried Flexx Bars, KTM hard parts bar clamp anti-vibe kit, BRP/Scotts anti-vibe kit, etc. on the new 690 and does it help?

Also the 690 engines on the 2013 Enduro R and Duke were both really noisy at idle, with a fairly loud knocking/clatter from the right engine side, worse when warmed up. I don't remember that from the other older 690's I've ridden, so maybe it's a brand-new engine thing and goes away with break-in? Curious about your experiences there.

My overall first impression of the 2013 690 Enduro R was not that good due to the vibes and really loud engine clanking at idle (even the shop guys thought is was quite loud too and are looking into it), so I haven't taken the plunge yet.
My '12 was pretty vibey through the bars and pegs she it was new but got much smoother and by about 1500 to 2000 miles it was smooth as silk. Interestingly I got some vibes back after an oil and filter change at 3,000 miles - these stayed around for another 5 or 6 hundred miles but then went. After the scheduled 6k service there are no vibes after the oil and filter change. Just did a 250 mile ride on motorway at a more or less constant 65 - 70 mph and had absolutely no vibes.

As for engine noise - it does rattle (too much for my liking. I want my bike to sound sexy!) and the noise doesn't decrease with miles.
MeinMotorrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #9665
MeinMotorrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHands View Post
does anyone know where I can get one of these cheaper ones in the UK for my ktm690?

Also I presume it fits with that air-box with holes in? (I've forgotton the proper name for it /part number; anyone know?)

thanks if you can help
My (UK) dealer offered me the KTM filter for 42 that's roughly $64. Go round to your local dealer and ask. I was told that KTM don't have any in stock until the 19th of July so you'll have to wait if you want one. I was told it would fit with the standard snorkel and it wouldn't need a remap either. Don't know if the remap thing rings true with unifilter users here
MeinMotorrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #9666
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
So, I hopped on a brand new 2013 and took it for a ride. Plenty of power, even choked up OEM. However out on the freeway at 65-70mph that bike vibed so bad I couldn't see anything in the mirrors and it was a hard buzz on the hands, not as bad as the old 640 but quite a bit harder than the 690(650) I rode last year. My hands started tingling after just 10 miles of that.
Cyborg,

I found that my 08 690 vibed very badly at the speeds you mention. Tingly hands, can't see out of the mirrors, the pegs were even making my feet go to sleep on extended freeway sessions coming back over the pass late.

I added rubber mounted bar risers (roxx) and "in the bar" anti-vibe inserts from HDB. While they helped, neither solved my issue.

I finally bought a Marc-Parnes Balancer (http://www.marcparnes.com/) and it has solved my problems. No more wheel imbalance from DOT knobbies and no more annoying vibes in the bars for me. This made such a huge difference I could not have imagined it.

KTM does not balance the wheels/tires from the factory.

I do notice loud idling from my motor too. Always have.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #9667
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Thanks guys. I did wonder about the stock DOT MT21's. Pumped up hard by the dealer and no doubt adding a lot of vibe in. Another reason the Duke was so smooth, smooth SM tires.

I do have a Marc-Parnes wheel balancer and I do balnce all my wheels, even the dirtbikes wheels. Makes a big difference. I'll holler at the dealer to do that, then I'll ride it again.

As to the loud engine clatter at idle, it seems everyone who has answered so far has it, so I guess not a worry other than not sounding sexier on the right side.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #9668
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 592
The noise is the clutch basket. You'll notice that when you hold the clutch in (or have it under load) the sound mostly goes away. Perfectly normal, I think being a slipper clutch contributes to it due to the wedge design of the 2 inner hubs has the pressure plate going from tight to slack sporadically until you either A) put it under load (ie: accelerating or decelerating) or B) keep it slack by pulling the clutch.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #9669
Just_P_Dirty
Its more fun when Dirty!

Oddometer: 270
i have 2013 and it vibs too no more than my 625 sxc did. i must agree with tires and balancing and also type shoes you wear. i dont notice the vibs at all when i have mx boots on but when i have my work boots on they do tend to move around...
Old 07-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #9670
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
The noise is the clutch basket. You'll notice that when you hold the clutch in (or have it under load) the sound mostly goes away. Perfectly normal, I think being a slipper clutch contributes to it due to the wedge design of the 2 inner hubs has the pressure plate going from tight to slack sporadically until you either A) put it under load (ie: accelerating or decelerating) or B) keep it slack by pulling the clutch.
Thanks Letter J, I did try the clutch lever in and out at idle, thinking it might be the the clutch too, and it didn't help much. I didn't try putting it under a light load to see if it would go away. I'll try that at the dealer again later.

This eve I'm going to visit my friend with the IIRC smoother 2010 690 I borrowed last year and will run his bike again and listen to it as a sanity check. Another friend said all LC4's sound like they want to explode at idle.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #9671
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
This is a bit off topic but I just read that the new ktm 1190 adventure service intervals are 15000. Doubling my 2010 690. Is that simply down to the fact that the motor is twice as big? Smaller motor = more frequent service intervals?

The newer 690 are 10000km service intervals, yes I know they are slightly bigger displacement but how did ktm pull off another 2500km just by raising the motor capacity by 45cc's?

Thoughts?
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #9672
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
This is a bit off topic but I just read that the new ktm 1190 adventure service intervals are 15000. Doubling my 2010 690. Is that simply down to the fact that the motor is twice as big? Smaller motor = more frequent service intervals?

The newer 690 are 10000km service intervals, yes I know they are slightly bigger displacement but how did ktm pull off another 2500km just by raising the motor capacity by 45cc's?

Thoughts?
A bit cynical but probably they just typed in different numbers. They probably figured out the motor was just fine going longer.

2014 KTM EXC 500
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #9673
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
H However out on the freeway at 65-70mph that bike vibed so bad I couldn't see anything in the mirrors and it was a hard buzz on the hands,

What have you 2012 (690cc) and above owners done about the vibes if anything?
Grip puppies. Have them on my 690 and on my GSA. Cheap and easy and they work for me and I like the larger grip. If they don't do it for you you're only out <$20. Example:
http://aviciouscycle.ca/mainpages/pr...productid=3036

Haven't figured out the mirrors but did replace stock with doubletake mirrors. Still vibe but don't break when they clip a tree or when your bike takes a dirt nap.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #9674
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Hoots, what model year is yours? Hard to believe there's that much vibe variation among the same model bikes/engines. That would indicate horrible quality control at the KTM factory.
Mine's a 2012 ...

Australian model - some difference I believe in terms of manufacturing batches ...

This vibration discussion has come up in the past - same variance in experiences - I rode a 625 a fair bit, and that certainly vibrated - the 690 very smooth by comparison ...

The motor is quite loud, and sounds harsh - others that I've seen are the same - I wear ear plugs ...

My bike was improved out of site by raising the gearing to 16/44 (ex 15/45) - you can now really appreciate the power, and the bike cruises over gravel at 110kph doing a little over 4,000rpm - very smooth and well balanced - lovely bike to ride for long days on gravel roads and fire trails ...

Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #9675
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 715
I have similar experience - very limited vibes and rideable all day. I did fit a pair of bar end weights (from the bike wreckers) modded to fit with the barkbusters, and that made the bars even better. No real issues with vibes thru the pegs (Pivot Pegz fitted)