Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 01:33 AM   #9676
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Spares for Traveling

2010 KTM 690 Enduro R - 5000 miles - Stored Off-Site in Las Vegas

I'm getting ready for a 2 1/2 week, 3000 mile AZ / UT / CO ride in August. Call me paranoid, but I like to be (reasonably?) prepared for issues that may come up on the road or trail as KTM dealers can be few and far between and some parts may not be readily available for next-day shipping if needed.

Along with typical tools, spare tubes, etc., I plan to carry the following spare parts...

Clutch Slave Gasket & O-Rings
Fuel Pump
TPS
Fuel Injector
Regulator / Rectifier

This list of spares comes from issues I have read about on this forum from the experiences of this collective. Am I missing anything? Has anyone had water pump issues like 950 & 990 owners have experienced?

Thanks in advance.
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:51 AM   #9677
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Do you have good handguards that can't rotate on the bars (HDB are the best and I don't carry levers any more), upgraded rear brake pedal, engine side case guards?

Swap the R/R with a MOSFET Shindengen ahead of the trip, then you won't need to bring a spare as it should outlast the bike.

You should be covered with your list and the above.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:06 AM   #9678
leanin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Plenty of power, even choked up OEM. However out on the freeway at 65-70mph that bike vibed so bad I couldn't see anything in the mirrors and it was a hard buzz on the hands, not as bad as the old 640 but quite a bit harder than the 690(650) I rode last year.
What have you 2012 (690cc) and above owners done about the vibes if anything?

My overall first impression of the 2013 690 Enduro R was not that good
Cyborg, I got a new 2013 in April. On the first ride, I thought I'd made a huge mistake. It vibrated, the suspension was harsh and it didn't have as much power as I expected. I'd ridden a friends 2008 690 before ordering the 2013 so I thought I knew what I was getting. Thankfully, backing off the compression 5 clicks front and rear made a tremendous difference in the suspension. The vibration and power got much better by the thousand mile mark. Now with a little over 3000 miles, I absolutely love the bike! Its much, much smoother and more powerful now that it is broken in. Of course,YMMV.
leanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:16 AM   #9679
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHands View Post
does anyone know where I can get one of these cheaper ones in the UK for my ktm690?

Also I presume it fits with that air-box with holes in? (I've forgotton the proper name for it /part number; anyone know?)

thanks if you can help
Evo1 lid?
Yes it will fit :)

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #9680
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanin View Post
Cyborg, I got a new 2013 in April. On the first ride, I thought I'd made a huge mistake. It vibrated, the suspension was harsh and it didn't have as much power as I expected. I'd ridden a friends 2008 690 before ordering the 2013 so I thought I knew what I was getting. Thankfully, backing off the compression 5 clicks front and rear made a tremendous difference in the suspension. The vibration and power got much better by the thousand mile mark. Now with a little over 3000 miles, I absolutely love the bike! Its much, much smoother and more powerful now that it is broken in. Of course,YMMV.
Thanks Leanin. The 2010 690 I was using as a reference has 12,000+ miles on it so that's probably why it was much smoother.

It's great to hear it usually gets better with miles but the engineer in me wonders WHAT in the engine changes to affect the vibes that much as the engine wears in?
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #9681
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Yes, exactly these symptoms - you'd ride it hard into a corner, hit the brakes and the thing would die - not always - in fact, not all that often - but maybe 2-3 times each ride ...

In my case the inconsistent idle lead to an intermittent oil light flashing - i.e. idling too low - particularly when hot - still does this occasionally, but only when very hot ...

I'd just ride it in a bit till the foam filter is on there - you'll notice a huge difference in engine responsiveness with the foam (vs stock paper) filter - even more marked (IMO) with the RallRaid Twin Air filter kit, but in my experience that has some problems re' exposure to water if you don't also have the full ADV or rally fairing - I took mine off and went to a Unifilter instead, as that sits within the OEM snorkel and is protected - not quite as much breathing, but heaps better than the stock filter ...

[the motor roars with the Twin Air filter]

I don't know why they sell the bike with that stock filter - it would put a lot of test-riders off purchase ...
Well, Hoots, I installed the Uni last night late. I started her up this morning and there was a huge difference right off the bat. It idled much smoother and more consistant. When I rode it to the shop (work) it never hesitated when slowing to a stop. You were spot on. Thanks.
I did have to trim some plastic from the airbox for the filter. The factory didn't exactly clean the excess plastic from the mold which didn't allow the filter to sit correctly in the airbox.
Now all I am waiting for is my shock spanner nuts from Rally Raid.

Thanks again,
Brad
Old 07-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #9682
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,774
Good to hear the bike is running as it should.

I think most all us who installed the UNI twin-pod had to remove the airbox and trim off the leftover injection molding scrim where the filter fits. The UNI on my bike wouldn't even drop down into the airbox hole without this quick carpet knife fix.

Now that you've done this, don't forget to run a bead of filter lip seal grease around the underneath side of the filter to make it an airtight seal.

Dirty
Old 07-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #9683
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
Good to hear the bike is running as it should.

I think most all us who installed the UNI twin-pod had to remove the airbox and trim off the leftover injection molding scrim where the filter fits. The UNI on my bike wouldn't even drop down into the airbox hole without this quick carpet knife fix.

Now that you've done this, don't forget to run a bead of filter lip seal grease around the underneath side of the filter to make it an airtight seal.

Dirty
Thanks, Chip.
This bike is awesome! I can't wait to get it broken in. Plan on riding quite a bit this weekend to help it along, that is if this stupid rain ever stops!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #9684
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Is this a good place to order a Mosfet rectifier from and which one do I need?

http://www.roadstercycle.com/

Gracias

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #9685
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post

http://www.roadstercycle.com/

Gracias
That is the main source actually I got my kit there for my KTM990S.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #9686
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Hoots, what model year is yours? Hard to believe there's that much vibe variation among the same model bikes/engines. That would indicate horrible quality control at the KTM factory.
Hey Cliff! My 2nd of 3 engines on my '08 only lasted a few thousand miles. I was later told that was because with the 654cc there was an "A" piston and cylender as well as a "B" version. (Think 653 and 655cc's). They said "someone" put an A cylender in a B bore and it wore faster!

FWIW I found the vibes thru the bars very different versus the old LC4 but none the less they really bothered my wrists. The old LC4 had a slower, larger more aggressive paint shaker type vibe that was very noticeable. My 690 has high speed, very small vibrations I would liken to a dentist's drill.

I've got the Flex bars with vibranotor inserts as well as pillow top grips and it does make a big difference. I'm sure tires are a huge difference... pre flexx bars all day in the dirt didn't bother my wrists but 5 hours of freeway sure did.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #9687
CoolHands
travelling

Oddometer: 32
carrying one bag.

In front, or behind? Strangley in front seems to be better for my seating position. Shame about the total lack of fixing hooks / crannies anywhere?

CoolHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #9688
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Hey Cliff! My 2nd of 3 engines on my '08 only lasted a few thousand miles. I was later told that was because with the 654cc there was an "A" piston and cylender as well as a "B" version. (Think 653 and 655cc's). They said "someone" put an A cylender in a B bore and it wore faster!

FWIW I found the vibes thru the bars very different versus the old LC4 but none the less they really bothered my wrists. The old LC4 had a slower, larger more aggressive paint shaker type vibe that was very noticeable. My 690 has high speed, very small vibrations I would liken to a dentist's drill.

I've got the Flex bars with vibranotor inserts as well as pillow top grips and it does make a big difference. I'm sure tires are a huge difference... pre flexx bars all day in the dirt didn't bother my wrists but 5 hours of freeway sure did.
Hey Ricky, good to hear from you. Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like I will be joining the 690 club shortly, accepted a deal!
Old 07-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #9689
CoolHands
travelling

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
I believe you just need the latest type which is FH020AA according to this page: http://roadstercycle.com/Shindengen%...or%20about.htm

you just need to choose one of his three 'kits'
CoolHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #9690
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
The local bookstore had a American dirt bike magazine in stock today... Woo Hoo!

It has an article on the 690 enduro (Dirt Bike July 2013 pg 61/62). Are these typos or is the '13 690 that different:

"The 690's seat height was lowered by 2 inches, giving the WP suspension 9.8 inches of travel."

I was thinking my '11 R was 1" taller than my '08 E... is the '13 that much shorter?

"To be honest, we wouldn't ride the 690 in whoops no matter how much suspension it had. It's a massibe bike. KTM says it weighs about the same as a Honda XR650L, but it feels much heavier. It's not a trail bike. Still, it handles much better off-road than a Suzuki DR650, a Kawasaki KLR..."

I was thinking the XR was about 350 wet and ours about 330. 20 lbs is a chunk and I could never imagine KTM ceding they were about the same... they stick to their 305 lb "ready to race" weight! Is the '13 690 heavier? Did the XRL get lighter? Did Dirt Bike Magazine print a typo? Inquiring minds want to know!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote