Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #9721
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
Is that the same conversion for Canadians? So how many beer cans do we drink first to crush?
Haven't you heard? A beer drinking Canadian is exempt from all that science/physics stuff. Just tighten it down until it strips, back it off half a turn...good to go.
'11 WR250R
JustBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #9722
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Ahhh, so who's the guy behind him?
I was hoping someone would bite ...

Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #9723
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,295
Kinky bugger, aren't you.

New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #9724
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,887
Joined the club today

Ok lets get this back on track...

My local dealer had two 2013 690's in stock. The first one was the one I commented on 2 days ago and I thought was very unpleasant to ride. I rode the second one today. Both bikes were set up the same way, same map (standard) and both at less than 30 miles. Out on the highway I went since that's where the horrible vibes were on the previous one I rode.

Was I surprised! This was like a totally different bike. Much, much smoother. I could see behind me in the mirrors pretty well at 65 to 75mph, where on the previous bike they were a complete blur at those speeds. The bars also were also barely vibing at all, where on the previous bike they were buzzing really hard at the same speeds and my hands were tingling and starting to go numb in a few minutes. The second bike was pleasant to ride at freeways speeds and it also hummed along in slow traffic at 2500 to 3500RPM with no stumbling or lurching, just nice and steady. I rode it back to the dealer and bought it right then, oh yeah!

Let the mods begin!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #9725
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post

My local dealer had two 2013 690's in stock. The first one was the one I commented on 2 days ago and I thought was very unpleasant to ride. I rode the second one today. Both bikes were set up the same way, same map (standard) and both at less than 30 miles. Out on the highway I went since that's where the horrible vibes were on the previous one I rode.

Was I surprised! This was like a totally different bike. Much, much smoother. I could see behind me in the mirrors pretty well at 65 to 75mph, where on the previous bike they were a complete blur at those speeds. The bars also were also barely vibing at all, where on the previous bike they were buzzing really hard at the same speeds and my hands were tingling and starting to go numb in a few minutes. The second bike was pleasant to ride at freeways speeds and it also hummed along in slow traffic at 2500 to 3500RPM with no stumbling or lurching, just nice and steady. I rode it back to the dealer and bought it right then, oh yeah!

Let the mods begin!
Congrats, Cyborg! Well done!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #9726
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
Quote:

Let the mods begin!
Unbalanced tires.... or crank or what?
Old 07-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #9727
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Wiring fused led auxillary lights

I was told that there was a way to wire my hot lead from the piaa's to the unused fuse thats in the box. It's not necessary as the lights wiring harness has a fuse in it but wth. I am trying to figure out where to run it to and cant find any open lines. On my old klr there was just a wire dangling that was for the european style running light that made it extremely easy. Anyone know where to run this thing to???
Old 07-13-2013, 01:06 AM   #9728
TheMuffinMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,589
The vibes change and generally smooth out after a few thousand miles or so I find.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:24 AM   #9729
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 722
Quote:

- Snip - I rode it back to the dealer and bought it right then, oh yeah!

Let the mods begin!
I once had a brand new 690 like that. Sorta miss that look.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:03 AM   #9730
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,224
Quote:
Ok lets get this back on track.... I rode it back to the dealer and bought it right then, oh yeah!
Let the mods begin!
Congratz on the new acquisition Cyborg, the 2013 is a sweet looking bike. Hope it's a long and happy marriage
Old 07-13-2013, 05:41 AM   #9731
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 991
Congrats Cliff! That sure is interesting on the smooth 690 vs vibey one when they are both new. I do wonder if it has an A piston in a B bore... messed up flywheel? It just goes to show when someone on here says that the 690 vibrates a lot, and someone else counters they don't it would be more accurate to say MY 690 does/doesn't vibe much! (Not to diminish the huge difference of perspective that exists between those coming from say a twin vs coming from the older LC4.)

Sounds like a good dealer that let you take it out on the freeway! Now all you need is to get rid of those dirt bike phobic politicians in Washington state and reopen thousands of miles of riding as opposed to sending the whole Western half of the state to just Reiter pit!
(When I was a kid I basically rode a 2 stroke from your house to mine - Little Bear Creek to Lord's Hill. Mostly off road but tons of connecting pavement including of course the 522 bridge. Cops flagged me down every once in a while and we'd talk and I remember one in almost an "oh by the way" tone of voice telling me that technically it was illegal to ride a dirtbike on the road ((as a 14 year old no less)) and we both laughed and got a kick out of that! What's happening to the world!?)
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:43 AM   #9732
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmstatecrawler View Post
I was told that there was a way to wire my hot lead from the piaa's to the unused fuse thats in the box. It's not necessary as the lights wiring harness has a fuse in it but wth. I am trying to figure out where to run it to and cant find any open lines. On my old klr there was just a wire dangling that was for the european style running light that made it extremely easy. Anyone know where to run this thing to???
Have you already used up the 2 sets of leads behind the headlight? (One hot only with the ignition/one always hot.)
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #9733
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Congrats Cliff! That sure is interesting on the smooth 690 vs vibey one when they are both new. I do wonder if it has an A piston in a B bore... messed up flywheel?
Hmmm, maybe a B piston in an A bore. I know I had a hell of a time finding the right piston for mine when I did the top end on it. That damn A piston was hard to find. of course the 2013's have a bigger piston.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #9734
rdkyote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
I once had a brand new 690 like that. Sorta miss that look.
Ditto, except for the rear reflector... that's the first thing that "broke off" my bike, followed by the grasshopper antenna mirrors.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #9735
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Science hurts my head....I have new respect for the tire guy at the bike shop though
Well, if you buy Michelin tires you can save yourself a headache. They don't have dots of any color. Years ago I when I used to road race I was talking to the michelin rep and I mentioned the fact they don't have dots. He said the molding process they use doesn't create a heavy spot so they don't need to mark their tires. All I know is I got 3 Pilot Powers sitting in my garage and not a single one of them has a dot.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote