Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #9811
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
Not sure about event. I've only filled it up a few times since having the bike. I just noticed it was discolored at the back corner by the seat. I could press on it and noticed some fluid . Very very little. Only notice when the tanks are over that level.
This is also a good time to figure out how much fuel I really have in all the tanks. My Low fuel lamp has been on for 20 miles and I still see about 1/2 tank on the Safari. The Low light is darn near useless when it comes on that early.

Oh- Yeah I will take pics of the whole repair process.
By "event" I meant crash/fall/off, etc.....(not Safari's fault)

I was just reading about some serious quality control issues with the latest 950/990 tanks from them.

I did a little unscientific test on a basically empty Safari Tank and found that each "wing" (as you look at the side of the bike) holds a gallon and the remainder of the capacity is in the upper part of the Safari. When the overall fuel level gets to that point (just to the top of the wings) I believe that I am carrying just under 3.15 gallons on the bike with 1.15 of it being in the main tank still.

Uller screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 01:50 PM
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #9812
Just_P_Dirty
Its more fun when Dirty!

Oddometer: 271
i got my front wheel balanced today and it helped alittle- not worth 60 bucks though. although they did pump up the tires. if i let some air out i will be able to see really. did notice slight less wobbly with strong headwind...
Old 07-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #9813
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_P_Dirty View Post
i got my front wheel balanced today and it helped alittle- not worth 60 bucks though. although they did pump up the tires. if i let some air out i will be able to see really. did notice slight less wobbly with strong headwind...
I balance all my wheels. You should invest in at least a cheap wheel balancer from harbor freight. About $40. Looks like it would pay for itself rather quickly for you.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #9814
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
By "event" I meant crash/fall/off, etc.....(not Safari's fault)

I was just reading about some serious quality control issues with the latest 950/990 tanks from them.

I did a little unscientific test on a basically empty Safari Tank and found that each "wing" (as you look at the side of the bike) holds a gallon and the remainder of the capacity is in the upper part of the Safari. When the overall fuel level gets to that point (just to the top of the wings) I believe that I am carrying just under 3.15 gallons on the bike with 1.15 of it being in the main tank still.
I like the fact that you can very quickly isolate and drain each Rally Rad Evo-2 tank ...

I had to do that after holing one of them, and only lost a couple of litres of fuel ...

Safe to keep riding afterwards ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #9815
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
That is not the stock regulator. Yep, same one from a few pages ago and I did indeed get it from Roadstercycle. I fabricated my own wiring though from components acquired from EasternBeaver.com.

There are quite a few "how-to" threads/posts on the wiring but, to answer your question, the three wires from the stator can connect to any of the three inputs into the R/R. When installing the R/R it is only essential to pay attention to the + or - outputs from the R/R.
That's what I thought about the stator inputs. Thanks for all the neat contributions you've made to our 690 machines.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #9816
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Just a heads up, cycle gear will balance your wheels for free anytime you want! Just take them off the bike and bring em in. Usually takes 5 minutes.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'10 Yamaha TW200 '07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #9817
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmstatecrawler View Post
Just a heads up, cycle gear will balance your wheels for free anytime you want! Just take them off the bike and bring em in. Usually takes 5 minutes.
thats good info!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:04 AM   #9818
mbrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrick View Post
In the midst of a rebuild right now. Piston rings backordered until September, exh rocker until Aug-- anyone have a lead on a dealer with them in stock? The rocker can hold out, but I think the broken oil ring begs to differ.

Rings: 75030031144
Rocker: 75036061144
I found a dealer in DE with them in stock, so I'll pick up both parts and bring them back. No clue why the US is backordered for so long then, they said no shortage here

Also worth noting I would avoid Motosport.com. Their website says 3-5 days shipping. Called and he confirmed it, then I said well dealers are seeing it backordered, are you sure? He said they would have no idea until the order was actually placed, but that they would likely be backordered too since they order from the same place.

mbrick screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 07:16 AM
mbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #9819
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
I balance all my wheels. You should invest in at least a cheap wheel balancer from harbor freight. About $40. Looks like it would pay for itself rather quickly for you.

For trail riding and offroad tires i don't usually bother with balancing. For road tires I do balance.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #9820
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
For trail riding and offroad tires i don't usually bother with balancing. For road tires I do balance.
Here in Vegas it is 50 or more miles of pavement to get to/from our riding areas. Hence the need for Dual Sport bikes.
A typical ride for us is 150-300 miles of mixed pavement/dirt riding. Taking the few minutes to balance my wheels is worth it to be ready for anything.
Side note- When doing our latest tire change my son found a 6 inch long crack on his front wheel. No ding. Dunno what the heck he must've hit. I guess it is time for a new rim.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #9821
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,418
Quote:
I usually balance wheels that have rim locks. But for something like my DR or the 690 I don't bother.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #9822
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
+1
Old 07-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #9823
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
With a bike like a 690 I find it very difficult to relegate particular tyres to 'offroad only' - you do transport legs and a lot of travel on gravel roads and farm tracks ...

Once you get over about 80kph, balancing makes a big difference - and at cruising speeds it's chalk-and-cheese ...

Completely changes the characteristics of the suspension, front and back ...

That said, $60 sounds prohibitively high - most places here will balance wheels for free if you order your tyres from them - otherwise, the cheap wheel balancers work well ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #9824
Just_P_Dirty
Its more fun when Dirty!

Oddometer: 271
i rode the bike to the shop so they had to pull the wheel and put it back on. the also used the elctronic automotive style machine. i just wanted to see if it would help cause i ride alot on the pavement at 70-80 mph sustained for about 15 miles each way. still not liking the factory front tire that much. louder than the motor, not that great in the sand, and wobbles at speed on hwy...
Old 07-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #9825
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
I'm a big fan of the BD Squadron, put one on my Husaberg 390 and it has been very reliable and rugged.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784908

Takes a bit of wiring trickery but not bad. The Skene Designs is the best dimmer to integrate with the existing switchgear. The Squadron is too bright for use on highways and oncoming car, but knocking it down to 20% to 30% or so makes it tolerable for the cars and easily the equivalent of "Low beam" Halogen to play nice with cars.

Question for the Americans on the BD squadron... I'll be back in Oct riding from Washington thru Or, Cal, Nev, Utah, Arizonia and down into Mexico.

Anyone have LEO's bother them with the squadron? Though trying to do more off road and more daylight riding the reality is I will probably rack up a 1000 miles of night time road riding in a few weeks and wondering what the odds are of getting ticketed/hassled are?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote