Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #10426
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
I think to get to the regulator you have to pull it out from the front of the fuel tank under the seat (where the regulator bolts into the tank and where the fuel line going to the injector comes out of the tank) and not from the bottom of the fuel tank.

V,
Yeah, that's what I thought, but when looking at Uller's work, he had the entire fuel line out of the tank, leading me to speculate maybe it was inside the tank.

As it was, 20 minutes after my post, Uller gave me a call and confirmed your point.

So...installed the CA pump with Profill filter on the pump, and am really hoping I did not kink the fuel line when shoving (artfully, I must say ) it all back in the tank.

I used the piece of fuel line CA Cycle provided with the pump that goes from pump to filter, and it was fairly flexible (easier to kink...the stiffness of the accordion-pleated stock fuel line is less likely to kink, but I couldn't remove it from the pump without butchering it).

It will be a day or so before I get to go for a ride to see how it is.

really, it is times like these that could lead me to prayer

I have installed Euro tail light, Mosfet RR, straightened out Safari mounting brace, and am taking it in Thursday to the suspension guy to service the pro-link (sqeak persists) so it is hopefully done right....then off for a week of backcountry camping with Bobzilla (his first trip to Canada, I believe).

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #10427
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,118
I am still using the stock fuel line/filter setup with the CA Cycleworks pump and so far so good after 12,000 miles.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #10428
nwvic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookguy88 View Post
hey guys, quick question, I'm a 5'6 rider and currently I'm riding a WR250R with a Yamalink and 1 inch stock lowering (combined about ~2 lowered). If I go to a KTM 690 Enduro, would I be ok with the Koubalink 1 5/8 linkage??

I'm also 5'6" and ride a 690. I looked into the lowering link but passed since I don't think the amount of lowering (maybe two tip toes on the ground instead of one) is worth the possible trade off (I saw comments about the tire possibly hitting the tank and suspension geometry changes). I picked the 690 because it is the most dirt worthy dual sport and I don't want to compromise the suspension (might as well then be riding a KLR). Instead I have adapted by:

Trying not to stop.
Stopping where I can put one foot down on a curb or other object.
Riding more open terrain (I've never liked tight woods riding anyway).
Starting out by jumping on while rolling forward (left foot on left peg, let out the clutch, swing right leg over; like a horse).
Jumping off before completely stopped.

Ultimately I think it will depend on what kind of riding you want to do. I tried to pack a small duffel on the back of my 690 to see how it would fit for possible camping but there was absolutely no way to get on or off so I have resolved to pack very light (Giant Loop Mojave) and stay in hotels or trailer to a base camp and do day rides from there. Again, I don't want to compromise the dirt worthiness of the bike. If you want to pack heavy for camping or long trips, you might be ok with the lowering since you can't be hammering as hard off road with all the extra weight anyway.
nwvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #10429
pookguy88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwvic View Post
I'm also 5'6" and ride a 690. I looked into the lowering link but passed since I don't think the amount of lowering (maybe two tip toes on the ground instead of one) is worth the possible trade off (I saw comments about the tire possibly hitting the tank and suspension geometry changes). I picked the 690 because it is the most dirt worthy dual sport and I don't want to compromise the suspension (might as well then be riding a KLR). Instead I have adapted by:

Trying not to stop.
Stopping where I can put one foot down on a curb or other object.
Riding more open terrain (I've never liked tight woods riding anyway).
Starting out by jumping on while rolling forward (left foot on left peg, let out the clutch, swing right leg over; like a horse).
Jumping off before completely stopped.

Ultimately I think it will depend on what kind of riding you want to do. I tried to pack a small duffel on the back of my 690 to see how it would fit for possible camping but there was absolutely no way to get on or off so I have resolved to pack very light (Giant Loop Mojave) and stay in hotels or trailer to a base camp and do day rides from there. Again, I don't want to compromise the dirt worthiness of the bike. If you want to pack heavy for camping or long trips, you might be ok with the lowering since you can't be hammering as hard off road with all the extra weight anyway.
wow, I'm impressed, I don't think I could live with a bike that I had to have a rolling start to get on. Good for you (and that's not sarcasm or anything).

I actually read the Koubalink page and they said they modified the Koubalink so that the tire won't hit the gas tank..

Have you tried getting the Seat Concepts seat? Should lower by 15mm... not sure if that would help though
pookguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #10430
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
wow, I'm impressed, I don't think I could live with a bike that I had to have a rolling start to get on. Good for you (and that's not sarcasm or anything).

I actually read the Koubalink page and they said they modified the Koubalink so that the tire won't hit the gas tank..

Have you tried getting the Seat Concepts seat? Should lower by 15mm... not sure if that would help though
The Seat Concepts seat is lower, but it's also wider ...

IMO that makes the bike feel a lot taller ...

I'm about 5'11", but really noticed how much more difficult it was to plant my feet after fitting the Seat Concepts seat ...
Hoots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #10431
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-10ENG View Post
So what is the best way to fix the 2008 speedo units when they are filling up with all of the white specs?? Mine is deteriorating quite quickly. Will KTM still warranty this item?

If I choose not to go factory what are the best options??
They should warranty it, just have to have a GOOD dealer that will push it through.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #10432
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 1,021
Pissed same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
They should warranty it, just have to have a GOOD dealer that will push it through.
My dealer said it was a no go a few years ago, but that's in Ontario and not where I bought the bike. I ended up switching to the trail tech speedo and now wanting the stock one back after a year . Anyone have an 08 stock speedo kicking around they want to get rid of????

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #10433
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
I am in the middle of installing the manual cam chain tensioner. First of all they say remove the old tensioner with a 21mm spanner but the bolt is 19 mm. Maybe just a language glitch in describing a tool? Also they are talking about an O-ring in the tensioner barrel. I do not see one. Is the O-ring very small or really recessed so hard to see? Any guidance on this? 2009 690r enduro.
Not 100% sure on hex size,but the o ring is right down the bottom of the bore,do not remove it as it is VERY difficult to put back.
Just shine a light down to check it is still there.
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #10434
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
Not 100% sure on hex size,but the o ring is right down the bottom of the bore,do not remove it as it is VERY difficult to put back.
Just shine a light down to check it is still there.
Thanks! Everything went well. On my2009 690r it was a 19mm socket to get the OEM tensioner off and a 21mm to install the Rally Raid manual one.

I wonder who installs those o-rings at the factory. Maybe they do it before the cylinder goes on the bike. Otherwise it would be a pain.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #10435
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethro303 View Post
I agree....the stock setup would be fine for SuperMoto, but I am leaving for a long dual sport trip in 2 days and was looking for a temporary fix until I can grab a screw on style setup.
I am down to trying a thin o ring behind the stock gasket to give more sealing pressure against the tank, unless anyone has found a temp fix that works better.
While it may be bad form to quote myself, I wanted to pass along that I performed a temporary fix on my leaking fuel cap.

I installed a thin o-ring (1.93x.13?)behind the factory fuel cap gasket to provide more sealing pressure for the cap gasket. After 600 miles of backcountry, which had numerous patches of football sized rocks, the factory fuel cap did not leak one bit of fuel. So, the temp fix worked until I can snag an upgrade. Just make sure to press the cap in while turning the key.....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/
Sethro303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #10436
Teli Rides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
You'll do fine

Quote:
hey guys, quick question, I'm a 5'6 rider and currently I'm riding a WR250R with a Yamalink and 1 inch stock lowering (combined about ~2 lowered). If I go to a KTM 690 Enduro, would I be ok with the Koubalink 1 5/8 linkage??
Hi,

I'm about your height and a 30" isn inseam, I installed the lowering link, I'ts still an F'in tall bike for me, but I can put one ball of my foot down and are able to comfortably change from one foot to another while stopped .. which I think is more important.. Now if the a*holes form the dealer return it to me from warranty work some day.. I'll be happy...

For the little that I've ridden it it's an awesome bike!
Teli Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #10437
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Neutral Indicator Light Not Indicating

I tried to search, but the engine won't handle that term, and I can't remember how to use Google so... I'll just ask.

My Neutral light stopped working - not burned out - it still lights as part of the start sequence, just doesn't show that the bike is in neutral. No recent physical damage - it just worked one day, then not the next. Wiring diagram is not too helpful - just shows 3 wire lead to a 3 position switch.
Anyone have a suggestion on where to start/what to look for?
Not a big deal, but I would prefer that it worked.
Thanks in advance.

Oh, 2011 690 Enduro.
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #10438
pookguy88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teli Rides View Post
Hi,

I'm about your height and a 30" isn inseam, I installed the lowering link, I'ts still an F'in tall bike for me, but I can put one ball of my foot down and are able to comfortably change from one foot to another while stopped .. which I think is more important.. Now if the a*holes form the dealer return it to me from warranty work some day.. I'll be happy...

For the little that I've ridden it it's an awesome bike!
Sweet.. which lowering link did you install? The 1" or 1 5/8" one?
pookguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #10439
Teli Rides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Sweet.. which lowering link did you install? The 1" or 1 5/8" one?

1 5/8" I also slid the forks 2cm.

Cheers
ORM
Teli Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #10440
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,676
Found my squeak.

Bearing Kit is $98.....
From the mobile...
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote