Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #10636
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by COracer View Post
Posted in thumpers but figured I might get more response here...any wisdom is appreciated.

Bought my bike with 1,200 miles on it, replaced fuel pump in first 400 miles I had it with CA Cycleworks pump to remedy stalling issues. OE pump would do the restart after waiting a while, but I wanted the bike to run right all the time and not leave me stranded.

Installed Napa filter with CA Cycleworks pump, also Rally Raid gas cap and did a full cannisterectomy. Rode for 1,200 miles without issues then one day the bike died on the trail and would not start even after hours and had to be towed home. Few days later go to the garage to diagnose, fires right up. Loaded new FI maps per the Bartron thread, I ride for a few miles and all seems better than ever, no spitting, surging or stalling. Next day bike won't fire, fuel pump does not prime when key is on. Took tank apart and checked connections, pump still doesn't prime at all.

Replacing with a Felco pump this week, has anyone else had this many issues with their 690 FI? I have little trust in it now which really ruins the ride for me. Could it be the pressure regulator or the ECU? I haven't drilled the holes in the pump housing yet to keep it cooler, am I missing anything else?

TuneECU shows a code P1231, open short to ground for the fuel pump...cleared code and still no pump operation and it sets code again immediately.
I think the ECU may monitor current flow in the pump power circuit for safety reasons. I would carefully check the wiring in the tank as well as outside the tank for shorts. I doubt that it is a fuel pump problem. I have not heard of CA Cycleworks pump failures. The FI thread I started has lots of FI information. But as Seth said above, look for wiring issues specifically in the fuel pump power circuit because of the code you are getting.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #10637
dguevin
Always ginger cravin

Oddometer: 19
Another one bites the dust

Had a great trip with ginger here in Northern Quebec (James Bay) but after a 1300km day she left me stranded a few miles from home, here's the cause.

So another rocker arm bearing fail... the bike has 17000km on the clock and at the last valve clearance check (13000km) everything looked like new. I think the next valve clearance check might include a rocker arm replacement. I am now stuck with this

The parts are "back order" until mid october and the cam doesn't even have a due date... Guess the season just came to an end... I am shopping across the world now to find a rocker arm somewhere on a shelf... The cam will probably be replaced by the stage 2 one out of the rally bike... At least we had a great time so it is a less painful waiting...

Should anyone know where I can get some parts, please give me a chime !

Cheers!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #10638
drunkenrich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
I have a 2010 690 endure, how many miles are you guys getting until empty when the low fuel light comes on?

2010 KTM 690 enduro r
drunkenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #10639
DirtJack
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dguevin View Post
Had a great trip with ginger here in Northern Quebec (James Bay) but after a 1300km day she left me stranded a few miles from home, here's the cause.

Cheers!
I guess I was lucky to catch mine before failure. Mine had opened up about twice max clearance on the exhaust rocker which I noticed as I was prepping for a CO trip. I think they are now available in the States. Somebody here on ADVRider helped me, but their replacements came in about 3 weeks. Got the replacements through KTM World in GA.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 08-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #10640
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,767
Does anyone know where I can get a 14t countershaft sprocket for a 690 in short order? Or at least a part number?

I need it by next week.

Thanks
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #10641
fluff34567
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Does anyone know where I can get a 14t countershaft sprocket for a 690 in short order? Or at least a part number?

I need it by next week.

Thanks
Read back a few pages... pn is posted

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #10642
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack_mind View Post

...what I found was serious abrasion damage to half a dozen wires in the harness...On my bike they ran straight under the battery & electrics tray, and were pinched agains the tank.
Thanks for the heads-up. My tail light went out the other day and I have less then 2000 miles on the bike. I popped the seat off to check the fuses. Everything seemed ok and the light worked when I plugged the fuses back in so I assumed it was just something loose. Guess I need to check a bit further tonight.

Not sure if this is common to big thumpers or KTM's in general, but there does seem to be a lot of abrasion issues:

Fender rubbing on the top of the tail light cut two grooves into the lens.

Had to add washers to provide some cleance.

Side-cover rubbing on gas tank. Had to add washers...

Blue connector was rubbing on black device above it. Had to move the black piece.
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #10643
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
Read back a few pages... pn is posted

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe I'm not such a good reader. I didn't find it. My search only turned up another post with the same request as mine.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #10644
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
Nylocks are the worst type of nut retaining device of all when it comes to rust lock.
I use stainless as much as possible. There's a local industrial fastener supply place that sells metric stainless fasteners cheaper than Home Depot sells single mild steel fasteners.

And, yes, I know... stainless doesn't have the same tensile or shear strength as certain kinds of steel. IMHO, you shouldn't replace a mission-critical fastener with stainless (i.e. brake rotor bolts, etc.) but everything else is fair game.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #10645
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by dguevin View Post

So another rocker arm bearing fail... the bike has 17000km on the clock and at the last valve clearance check (13000km) everything looked like new. I think the next valve clearance check might include a rocker arm replacement. I am now stuck with this

The parts are "back order" until mid october and the cam doesn't even have a due date... Guess the season just came to an end... I am shopping across the world now to find a rocker arm somewhere on a shelf... The cam will probably be replaced by the stage 2 one out of the rally bike... At least we had a great time so it is a less painful waiting...

Cheers!
I wouldn't wait on a cam. Take your cam out and a machine shop should be able to polish that one lobe for you, if its not gouged.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #10646
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
occasionally right after starting the engine the complete instrument display flashes about 4 or 5 times, the orange back light stays but all digits flash.

No fault code visible with tunecu ... bike is 2010 with the small display

ideas or normal ?
Mine will do this if I try and start before the systems check is complete. Wait for the ecu to cycle completely before attempting to start.
Bigbugberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #10647
DirtJack
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Maybe I'm not such a good reader. I didn't find it. My search only turned up another post with the same request as mine.
Try 58033029014

KTM World in GA shows it as being damped. $24.38 . Mine isn't, but maybe they are damping that one now.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 08-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #10648
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
Thanks for the heads-up. My tail light went out the other day and I have less then 2000 miles on the bike. I popped the seat off to check the fuses. Everything seemed ok and the light worked when I plugged the fuses back in so I assumed it was just something loose. Guess I need to check a bit further tonight.

Not sure if this is common to big thumpers or KTM's in general, but there does seem to be a lot of abrasion issues:

Fender rubbing on the top of the tail light cut two grooves into the lens.

Had to add washers to provide some cleance.

Side-cover rubbing on gas tank. Had to add washers...

Blue connector was rubbing on black device above it. Had to move the black piece.
Light sockets seem to be a little large for the bulb. Mine stopped working after 2 days. I ended up soldering on the bulb in order to make it fit tighter in the socket.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #10649
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Try 58033029014

KTM World in GA shows it as being damped. $24.38 . Mine isn't, but maybe they are damping that one now.
No, they are not damped. There are holes for the dampening spacer though. I wondered why they just didn't add the dampner?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #10650
dguevin
Always ginger cravin

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenrich View Post
I have a 2010 690 endure, how many miles are you guys getting until empty when the low fuel light comes on?
25miles or so without stalling at speed between 50 and 65 mph