Rally Raid is at a rally.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Old 09-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #10877
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck View Post
No but if memory serves if the switch is taken out completely (open circuit) it defaults to the standard map. Sounds like you have a break somewhere in the wiring to/from the switch

Jeff
A dig into the small plastic black box is in the way then. Not very fond of electrics....

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:12 AM   #10878
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey_BS View Post
I've been using M10X75 bolts that work well, but are not very tidy. I tried to move the spools from my Duke, but they don't fit. Where'd you get yours?
I got a cheap set of 10mm ones at Cycle Gear. Then had to buy bolts at True Value hardware. KTM uses 10x1.50 bolts.

Sent from outside my mind.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #10879
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo.Ramos View Post
A dig into the small plastic black box is in the way then. Not very fond of electrics....
This is not correct. An open circuit will result in the Bad Gas option for the ignition map. Settings 1, 2 and 3 are based on risistance values. Your switch may be broken. Disconnect the switch and use a meter to verify resistance changes for each postion before you break open the black box.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #10880
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biped View Post
This is not correct. An open circuit will result in the Bad Gas option for the ignition map. Settings 1, 2 and 3 are based on risistance values. Your switch may be broken. Disconnect the switch and use a meter to verify resistance changes for each postion before you break open the black box.
Hi Biped, bad gas option produces significant engine power? (never tried it before, so dunno). Engine feels quite good, i'd say like standard throttle response... or maybe gas around here is bad!

thanks

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #10881
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 265
I have never run my bike on 0 setting for bad gas so no idea how it feels compared to stock map on 1, 2 or 3. i have been running a modified Beany map for a few years and have not touched the switch since then.
Best for you to test the switch with an Ohm meter to see if it is working, if so, check further down the line towards the ECU.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #10882
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Ok now dont kill me here but I have a question about our suspension. Out of the box the suspension was so stiff that it rattled my brain on washboard roads. I dont do any large jumps. I put everything on the comfort setting and while it is a little better, it still feels too stiff. Problem is that now the rear shock bottoms out. I thought I needed a softer spring but now I have no idea. Does anyone have any issue like this? I thought the suspension was supposed to be a strong point on these.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #10883
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmstatecrawler View Post
Ok now dont kill me here but I have a question about our suspension. Out of the box the suspension was so stiff that it rattled my brain on washboard roads. I dont do any large jumps. I put everything on the comfort setting and while it is a little better, it still feels too stiff. Problem is that now the rear shock bottoms out. I thought I needed a softer spring but now I have no idea. Does anyone have any issue like this? I thought the suspension was supposed to be a strong point on these.
the problem with the suspension is not the springs but the valving in the forks. the rear shock setup should be adequate for an average rider at175 pounds. the suspension on the KTM is still a strong point because it can be customized and tweaked to your preference. however I feel that KTM didn't do much thinking about the setup of a dual sport bike and basically put the SMC suspension on the Enduro.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #10884
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Well I was at 175lbs about a year ago until my doctor put me on some medicine that caused me to balloon up to 245lbs. Necessary medicine but unnecessary side effects. Anyhow, I'm weaning myself off the meds and trying to get back down to 175lbs so I cant really have my suspension rebuilt. I guess I will just have to make do until I get back down to weight and then see where to go from there.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
Old 09-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #10885
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Well I was at 175lbs about a year ago until my doctor put me on some medicine that caused me to balloon up to 245lbs. Necessary medicine but unnecessary side effects. Anyhow, I'm weaning myself off the meds and trying to get back down to 175lbs so I cant really have my suspension rebuilt. I guess I will just have to make do until I get back down to weight and then see where to go from there.
also while some of the harshness can't be removed without revolving simply having less fort while in a larger air gap will make the fork actions seem softer. the factory settings are also just guidelines so you can certainly play around with setting your shock more to the standard setting and the front more to the comfort setting just be careful that you don't start to induce instability in the front end as a result of the unbalanced condition
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #10886
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
You don't say what year bike. I got a new to me 08 a few weeks ago and it was so stiff it was deal breaker for me. I got it at a good price, so I new I could sell it for more than I paid, but I did really like the bike and the size just fit what I needed in my stable.

Even tho the bike a a large, name brand suspension shop sticker on it, it was still too stiff for me. And the orginal owner was my size, but he road fast dessert stuff and I'm in the Ozarks. So off to my local, small shop suspension guy. He replaced a shim spring to lighter and removed some shims, front and rear. Bottom line, after a couple of adjustments we got it right. Correctly dialed in and almost as smooth as my 990, the GW of dirt bikes.

I'm happy, happy, happy..
Old 09-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #10887
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

It's a '13 as noted in my sig. What is your weight?
Old 09-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #10888
Just_P_Dirty
Its more fun when Dirty!

Oddometer: 272
i put a 16t on the front and love it on the road. havent tried it off road- about 73-4 mph is 5k rpm- 2013 690...the rear is stock 45t
Old 09-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #10889
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
It's a '13 as noted in my sig. What is your weight?

Sorry, missed the year in your sig.

My wt is 215 without gear.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #10890
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
I'm about 240lbs and my bike (2013) definitely needs a stiffer rear spring. It's bad enough that it's impossible to set the sag up properly. The front is set up feels properly sprung and is better on the comfort setting for day to day commuting.
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote