Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #11851
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
I did ask Norm why the tiny bit of lowering on his new 690 link (I got the email too). He said "because lowering is what we do". I guess that answers that.
I saw this, "Lowering and Performance Links" on his website and was under the impression he made performance parts that didn't also lower things. I guess I am just too literal of a person....

Maybe it should read, "Lowering and Performance Lowering Links" or something along those lines.

I am very hopeful that John still proceeds with the RRP Link/Rocker assembly that is based upon the Rally components.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #11852
drunkenrich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
My 2010 ktm was acting weird today, took it out for probably the last ride of the year today, ran good all day then near the end of the day it acted like it was out of gas, hesitating. Stopped got gas, hesitation stopped. Then about 20 min later it shut off on me while riding, twice. The control screen was flashing and it wouldnt turn over, just chug. Turned key off then on and it was fine. Any ideas?

2010 KTM 690 enduro r
drunkenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #11853
Tbone675
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teli Rides View Post
This happened to me on a tar road on the way home, after doing a Gnarly single track and gravel roads.

When accelerating (not shifting) in 5th or 6th gear everything went fine until 5,000 rpm, after that if I twisted the throttle suddenly to WOT the engine speed went immediately to 8 K RPM (as if it were in neutral), but nothing happened immediately in the speed department, after a second the rpm's dropped to 6 k and the bike started to accelerate slower than expected. This can be a bit scary if you are overtaking with limited space. I had to be very smooth with my right hand in order to accelerate without the "rubber band effect".

After I stopped for gas, the effect condition seemed to go away, I couldn't test the acceleration under those circumstances (5th or 6th) more than once or twice, because traffic got heavy...

I have an '012 with 2,000 kms on the clock, I got a left over some months back. The dealer "had" to replace the whole top end under warranty at 1,000k.
I'm still not sure about that one as the bike ran fine when I left it for the first service. (I have changed dealer since then)

Any insight will be greatly appreciated
Clutch is slipping
Tbone675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #11854
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,427
I don't get either why Kouba didn't just make the link in stock length after all the requests he got. It's obvious that a stronger link will primarily appeal to those who want to get the most out of their bikes suspension, and who do not want to reduce ground clearance....

I'll be waiting for Rally Raid to come out with theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarearider View Post
I have 10 690R with RR kit, and was at a rally training yesterday. There was a 2012 690 with the same identical RR kit, and his bike felt a lot less lighter than mine. I even asked him to check out my bike and he felt the same ( that my bike was way heavier). So I am curious to find out if the newer models (2012+) with bigger piston are significantly lighter than the older versions ?
There is basically no weight difference, the only thing why it could feel different is the higher center of gravity with 275mm suspension on the 2010 R vs. the 250mm on the 2012-2013 model.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #11855
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenrich View Post
My 2010 ktm was acting weird today, took it out for probably the last ride of the year today, ran good all day then near the end of the day it acted like it was out of gas, hesitating. Stopped got gas, hesitation stopped. Then about 20 min later it shut off on me while riding, twice. The control screen was flashing and it wouldnt turn over, just chug. Turned key off then on and it was fine. Any ideas?
Fuel pump ... ?
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #11856
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 4,200
Quote:
I did ask Norm why the tiny bit of lowering on his new 690 link (I got the email too). He said "because lowering is what we do". I guess that answers that.
Interesting. Yeah I guess. 3/8" won't mean much for me and my exceptional body.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #11857
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
[COLOR=#ffffff]
Maybe it should read, "Lowering and Performance Lowering Links" or something along those lines.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #11858
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:

He might have some legal / compliance issues in the event of failure of a part that's ostensibly intended to alter bike geometry, rather than improve its robustness ...

Astonishingly beautiful for a piece of linkage ...

3/8 inch is bugger-all really ...

You could alter sag if energetic, but doubt the effect of that amount of lowering would be discernible to most of us ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #11859
Tumbleweed ADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenrich View Post
I've had this happen at least 6 times don't know why? But always when low on fuel! (seems like sucking air) usually just turn key off coast for a while then start and it's just fine. Took it to dealer no problem found. Solution- turn key off- coast restart.
Tumbleweed ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #11860
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Does anyone know if Norm happens to be a man of average to short inseam lenght?

That might explain his predilection for only wanting to lower suspensions.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #11861
buddoggin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezcal View Post
I have 2" risers on mine and rotated the throttle back 1/4 turn. Without doing this the cables get hung up on the coolant filler neck. Had no noticeable problems with the clutch but I will check that.
You rule my friend!!! I rotated my throttle and installed the 2" Rox Risers and everything is good!!!! Thanks!!!

2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
buddoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #11862
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 1,070
I just ordered my "KTM-8 Dakar" link. I wanted to keep the stock length too, but I need to replace my link NOW and I can figure out something for the front to make things match (can't slide the forks up due to my rubber mounted stabilizer/ bar mounts.) It's about the same price as the stock link anyway, so there's nothing to loose in the $$$ department.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #11863
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
I just ordered my "KTM-8 Dakar" link. I wanted to keep the stock length too, but I need to replace my link NOW
Is your stock link broken?
DoD#1458
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #11864
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
3/8" is like 9mm. Thats the difference between whether I take a crap or not before getting on the bike or sitting 6" further back. I think after factoring in the linkage's action, the ground clearance will be very close to stock (I think )
Bill,
So....if you take the crap do you still sit 6 inches back?

When I need to give birth to a republican, I tend to reduce the internal pressures by getting up on the pegs....

In seriousness....your point is appreciated....

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #11865
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen View Post
Is your stock link broken?
I had replaced the dogbone bearings about 1,000 miles ago (lots of play) and things were still not 100% right, but I could not locate the tiny amount of play that remained. Things are already noticeably sloppy in the linkage again so I looked at it all while I had my shock out recently and saw that the link had stretched (ovaled out front to rear) where the bearings press in. I posted about it a week or so ago.