Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #106
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
does anyone have any idea what this: http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...roducts&id=158 is supposed to do? The description basically says that it "cures" the jerky throttle on ktm 690 and 990's, I'd never seen or heard of this part before and am curious just wtf it's supposed to do.
It's probably just a voltage divider/off-set for either the ambient air pressure or air temp sensor to fool the ECU into adding more fuel to run richer. You can do similar with TuneECU for much less $$.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #107
jlmg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
Got round to checking sag on the forks this morning and got some surprising results. At 230lb I got 30mm static and only 60mm rider sag. I was expecting significantly more rider sag.

This compares with 6mm static and 75mm rider sag on the rear (whilst trying to get to the manual's 70 -80 mm sag recommendation).

So the question - are these progressive wound fork springs as delivered stock?
Hi Bill
I am about your weight and would like to know your developments on suspension settings. So far your info is very valuable, specially since there is so little info in a so important subject as suspension.
What rear spring are you planning to use?, what type of off road do you ride? (desert, tight trails, etc)
I messed to my stock suspension to the point that my bike was very hard to ride, I have now got to the standard settings and a 100mm sag (which is not what the manual recommends) and the bike has become very pleasant to ride, but I know there is a lot of room for improvement plus I know the stock shock spring is not meant for my weight. I ride a mix of sand and tight trails with the occasional single track.
Keep up the suspension posts!

Trying to get rid off of this f..ing beer gut
jlmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #108
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Had a closer look at the wiring tonight. No obvious shorts but one lead on the coil was a little loose. Started the bike and wiggled it around to no effect. The engine only died when I almost pulled the lead off, but there certainly could have been a loose connection there that was causing a problem that I fixed by wiggling the wires around yesterday. I crimped the connector and now it fits tight. I checked all the connector plugs around the throttle body and all looked clean. Added dielectric grease anyway. Nothing left to do now but some test riding.....
Any update?
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #109
giodog2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
MT-21: now impossible to find.

I've been looking for a replacememnt MT-21 for my 690 and out of stock everywhere ( well in Cananda for sure) .
So now I ordered a Dunlop D908RR (getting if Friday) , and still ordered a MT21 that was suppose to arrive at the end of september but now they are saying Pirelli pushed that date to mid-october or even end of october.

So what do you guys think of the Dunlop D908RR? Anyone tried it on the 690?

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W
giodog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #110
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb View Post
Any update?
Not really. I put the bike back together yesterday and did the 15 minute idle and it was fine. Have not had a chance to really ride it though. It has run fine since the last time I got it running out on the side of the road by wiggling the wires.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #111
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by giodog2000 View Post
I've been looking for a replacememnt MT-21 for my 690 and out of stock everywhere ( well in Cananda for sure) .
So now I ordered a Dunlop D908RR (getting if Friday) , and still ordered a MT21 that was suppose to arrive at the end of september but now they are saying Pirelli pushed that date to mid-october or even end of october.

So what do you guys think of the Dunlop D908RR? Anyone tried it on the 690?
I've used two sets of the 908's. They wear like iron. Work really well in both hard and soft offroad conditions. The front skates around on pavement like crazy. It also causes a high speed wooble during slab riding at speeds over 75. Poor in rain and not fantastic on gravel either. Just my opinions.

Currently, my favorite tire is the Metzler MCE Karoo. It is much softer than the 908, doesn't wear nearly as well, but it's wet road and pavement manners are down-right civilized by comparison. I don't think I give up much on the trail either. The cost is literally half of what the 908's cost. That makes me a happy camper.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #112
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb View Post
I've used two sets of the 908's. They wear like iron. Work really well in both hard and soft offroad conditions. The front skates around on pavement like crazy. It also causes a high speed wooble during slab riding at speeds over 75. Poor in rain and not fantastic on gravel either. Just my opinions.

Currently, my favorite tire is the Metzler MCE Karoo. It is much softer than the 908, doesn't wear nearly as well, but it's wet road and pavement manners are down-right civilized by comparison. I don't think I give up much on the trail either. The cost is literally half of what the 908's cost. That makes me a happy camper.
In your area, you really should give the MotoZ HT a try, they wear like iron and work very well in dry terrain but I've used them in New England mud, rocks and slimy roots. Tested to 130 MPH on a sand road
Old 09-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #113
Tbone675
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Tested to 130 MPH on a sand road
what bike was it on when you did that?
Tbone675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #114
giodog2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
In your area, you really should give the MotoZ HT a try, they wear like iron and work very well in dry terrain but I've used them in New England mud, rocks and slimy roots. Tested to 130 MPH on a sand road
A friend of mine has them and he simply loves them but he never goes on pavement. But for offroad he is satisfied but wouldn't recommend them for pavement.

Gona be hard to compete with the MT-21 ,,,,is it just me thinking that?

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W
Old 09-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #115
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by giodog2000 View Post
A friend of mine has them and he simply loves them but he never goes on pavement. But for offroad he is satisfied but wouldn't recommend them for pavement.

Gona be hard to compete with the MT-21 ,,,,is it just me thinking that?
You're right about the MT-21's. Tough to beat as an all rounder. I get about 1500 miles out of a rear and still on the same front after 3000 miles. Wet asphalt performance was much better than I expected.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #116
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
You're right about the MT-21's. Tough to beat as an all rounder. I get about 1500 miles out of a rear and still on the same front after 3000 miles. Wet asphalt performance was much better than I expected.

MT-21's seem to be either love or hate. I hated them...took them off quickly. I prefer their Dunlop competitor the 606...at least up front.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #117
giodog2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
MT-21's seem to be either love or hate. I hated them...took them off quickly. I prefer their Dunlop competitor the 606...at least up front.
How are they for the rear? and on wet?
They do not make the 140 ...

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W
Old 09-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #118
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,629
Quote:
+1 for the MotoZ rear. Put 2800 miles on a MotoZ rear...all type conditions. Didn't like the MotoZ front...very unstable at speed and extreme irregular wear.

+1/2 for the 908RR rear. 606 front works well, but like the MT21 front better.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #119
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
+1 for the MotoZ rear. Put 2800 miles on a MotoZ rear...all type conditions. Didn't like the MotoZ front...very unstable at speed and extreme irregular wear.

+1/2 for the 908RR rear. 606 front works well, but like the MT21 front better.
The new front is supposed to be better but I need to try it before I can endorse it
Old 09-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #120
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone675 View Post
what bike was it on when you did that?
se