Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #121
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by giodog2000 View Post
A friend of mine has them and he simply loves them but he never goes on pavement. But for offroad he is satisfied but wouldn't recommend them for pavement.

Gona be hard to compete with the MT-21 ,,,,is it just me thinking that?
I've got a few in the shed, so if you're ever in Burlington, let me know.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #122
giodog2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I've got a few in the shed, so if you're ever in Burlington, let me know.
What exactly do you have in the shed?

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W
giodog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #123
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
What exactly do you have in the shed?
MotoZ's
Old 09-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #124
giodog2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
MotoZ's
Thx for offer

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W
Old 09-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #125
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Thx for offer
What did you think I was talking about Don't worry, I don't have a woodshed
Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #126
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,229
Quote:
What did you think I was talking about Don't worry, I don't have a woodshed

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #127
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,800
For what its worth, I'm not crazy about either MT21's or D606's. I find both of those tires to be flexy and too light in the carcass. I've actually seen a front 606 come apart from from the inside out on rocky terrain. OK on gravel and fire roads, but the treads don't work well in sand or mud and their not strong enough for rocks. Only thing good I can say is that the tread holds up well to road use.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #128
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Spider caught a fly!

Another vote for the Motoz HTs. They're way better off-road and I think about equal on-road to the MT21s, but then for me they last twice as long. The rear tire I have on their now just. won't. die.

The MTs are damn scary in mud, and I always thought the front wandered. The Karoos are freaking amazing on-road but just don't have the bite off-road.

I'm either re-upping on the HTs or trying their x-circuit.
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:36 AM   #129
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck View Post
Spider caught a fly!

Another vote for the Motoz HTs. They're way better off-road and I think about equal on-road to the MT21s, but then for me they last twice as long. The rear tire I have on their now just. won't. die.

The MTs are damn scary in mud, and I always thought the front wandered. The Karoos are freaking amazing on-road but just don't have the bite off-road.

I'm either re-upping on the HTs or trying their x-circuit.
I still can't believe how much in price the 908 have gone up too!!!

I need to find a new rear tire for the 690. Where are you all getting the deals on these Motoz HT from? I'm currently running Dunlops 606 in the front and a 908 on the rear. I have to admit I like the 606 in front and have run those on both my KTMs (990 & 690) with no issues of them falling apart.

By the way, should I run rim locks? I have them sitting in the shop but haven't installed them yet? From everyones experience what's the lowest air pressure I can run before needing these rim locks?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:35 AM   #130
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb View Post
For what its worth, I'm not crazy about either MT21's or D606's. I find both of those tires to be flexy and too light in the carcass. I've actually seen a front 606 come apart from from the inside out on rocky terrain. OK on gravel and fire roads, but the treads don't work well in sand or mud and their not strong enough for rocks. Only thing good I can say is that the tread holds up well to road use.
As said your results may vary. I've had good luck with the front 606 and found it worked well in sand, gravel, mud, rocks etc. Its a DOT tire and I needed one last time I was in Canada and that was it. Even ran one on front of a heavily loaded 950 adventure for 1000 miles without issue.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 09-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #131
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmg View Post
Hi Bill
I am about your weight and would like to know your developments on suspension settings. So far your info is very valuable, specially since there is so little info in a so important subject as suspension.
What rear spring are you planning to use?, what type of off road do you ride? (desert, tight trails, etc)
I messed to my stock suspension to the point that my bike was very hard to ride, I have now got to the standard settings and a 100mm sag (which is not what the manual recommends) and the bike has become very pleasant to ride, but I know there is a lot of room for improvement plus I know the stock shock spring is not meant for my weight. I ride a mix of sand and tight trails with the occasional single track.
Keep up the suspension posts!
I've ordered the 90N Superplush spring from KTMTwins. Its pretty cheap for what it is.

I like to run a spring with as little as possible pre-load, as it effects the action.

I live in the Kalahari desert, so mainly open fast desert. I live 2 km from the closest tar so I spend every day at least 4 km on dirt. I do not use a car.

For a start I would like to get the bike to a point where I can run the same pace as my R1200 Adv and 750LE Cagiva Elefant. I can presently maintain 110km/h on loose stuff before the on-set of wagging bars. I have a suspicion that I will ultimately have to go to a damper on this bike. The Rallye-Moto dampers are affordable in South Africa.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #132
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 881
Hey Cranky can you pm me price shipped to 89406 and a time line for delivery on a rear motoz?
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #133
giodog2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Brake pads.

Here is another one for you.....

I just got back from "a" KTM dealer (not the one I usually deal with ) and yesterday by phone I had them put aside for me the last set of brembo rear brake pads which I picked up this morning.
Well turns out, after driving (my freaken cage cause of rain today) they are not brembo but EBC. I bought them anyways cause I needed them now but wasn't happy with the dealer. When I got home , they looked very familiar so I checked in my tool box and found a set of used pads (but still lots of life left to them ) that I pulled out of my BMW650GS and yes , the exact same thing. So both model use the same pads.

My questions: What do you guys think of EBC pads? and should I stick with Brembo?

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W

giodog2000 screwed with this post 09-15-2011 at 09:58 AM
Old 09-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #134
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Here is another one for you.....

I just got back from "a" KTM dealer (not the one I usually deal with , for obvious reasons that you will see.... lol ) and yesterday by phone I had them put aside for me the last set of brembo rear brake pads which I picked up this morning.
Well turns out, after driving (my freaken cage cause of rain today) they are not brembo but EBC. I bought them anyways cause I needed them now but wasn't happy with the dealer. When I got home , they looked very familiar so I checked in my tool box and found a set of used pads (but still lots of life left to them ) that I pulled out of my BMW650GS and yes , the exact same thing. So both model use the same pads.

My questions: What do you guys think of EBC pads? and should I stick with Brembo?

they all work. I am running DP pads on my bike and because DP was on back order I got Moose pads last time. Moose pads are in fact rebadged DP pads. I burn em up and put new ones in and dont think about it too much. I brought 7 sets of rears and 3 sets of fronts down for the rally in Australia with plans of running a set of rears everyday if needed.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #135
giodog2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
they all work. I am running DP pads on my bike and because DP was on back order I got Moose pads last time. Moose pads are in fact rebadged DP pads. I burn em up and put new ones in and dont think about it too much. I brought 7 sets of rears and 3 sets of fronts down for the rally in Australia with plans of running a set of rears everyday if needed.
Yes I guess they all work. Dealer sold the EBC 10$ more over the Brembo. So I guess my choice is made if they all work

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W