Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #1396
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
My husaberg will run fine without the enduro dash that it comes with and my 08 690E will run fine without the Tach instrument cluster. I would be amazed if the bike will not run without the dash.
Brute bike died a few time on a ride on the weekend when it did he noticed the the dash died first , when with some wiggling of the loom under the dash all seemed to be good it could be a faulty ignition switch but we only got to the loom under the dash
Mudguts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #1397
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt View Post
I’ve done a lot of the calculations to determine what my bike weighs based on advertised “dry weight” plus additions and wasn’t even close. I actually weighed my bike with a scale the way I actually ride which includes a full tank of fuel, my Baja HID light with LED aux lights, small wind screen, fender bag with tube and aluminum irons, Corbin seat, GPS with TT mount, small tail bag with pump and tools, KTM pannier mounts (no panniers), heated grips, extended foot pegs, new tires. I was very surprised at a weight of 375 pounds. I had calculated 340 but really missed the boat. Has anyone else actually weighed their bike? What was the results?
I don't think the battery is even considered in dry weight.
Then there's approximately 40-45lbs of fluids and battery thrown in before you started bolting bits on.

Have you changed out any of the heavy parts? I pitched the exhaust, heat shields and battery right off and replaced with all lightweight. It was a noticeable difference with that weight off of the top of the bike.
This coming season will see all of that weight put back on with the "adventurizing" I'm doing. Parts are piling up waiting for warmer temps.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #1398
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
Brute bike died a few time on a ride on the weekend when it did he noticed the the dash died first , when with some wiggling of the loom under the dash all seemed to be good it could be a faulty ignition switch but we only got to the loom under the dash
Try unplugging the dash and starting the bike. Oh yeah, check the speedometer cable where it runs along the brake line cable. The speedo cable has a power and ground wire inside of a rubber sheath. On my bike the rubber sheath wore through while rubbing on the metal ring of the brake line. when I would put on the front brake hard enough the exposed power wire would ground out on the brake cable. This would cause the fuse to blow for the instrument cluster and the ECU iirc. Anyways it kills the bike even though it will still crank and the fuel pump will stick cycle. The instrument cluster will stay off.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #1399
johnlt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
I don't think the battery is even considered in dry weight.
Then there's approximately 40-45lbs of fluids and battery thrown in before you started bolting bits on.

Have you changed out any of the heavy parts? I pitched the exhaust, heat shields and battery right off and replaced with all lightweight. It was a noticeable difference with that weight off of the top of the bike.
This coming season will see all of that weight put back on with the "adventurizing" I'm doing. Parts are piling up waiting for warmer temps.
I did replace OEM exhaust with Acro and ditched the rear foot peg and bracket. The Baha light is one heavy mutha.
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
johnlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #1400
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
I did replace OEM exhaust with Acro and ditched the rear foot peg and bracket. The Baha light is one heavy mutha.
I installed the 7" Cyclops H4 on mine to keep the weight down a bit. Smaller and no ballast but still heavier than the stock mask.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #1401
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Those look like TKC 80s. I ran a set of MEFOs (Heidenue K60 clone) on mine and changed them for 908s after 5K miles. Still a lot of rubber left and decent in the dirt. IMHO a good 50/50 tire.
How did you like the Mefo's??? I have done a ton of Googling on reviews re: Mefo's vs Heidenau K60's vs Mitas E09vs TKC80's....and ....they seem to rank in that order.

for....80% gravel/dirt - 20% paved

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:33 AM   #1402
Dazed Productions
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
I have mefo super explorers on the front of mine and mitas E09 up front. The rear is a lot more road orientated than what was on before, and a lot more than an e09 rear. On road grip is good, wet or dry. Off road i have not used it too much but you can feel the difference from a proper knobbly, slides in a much less controlled way. I think it will be a good setup for general use and dry conditions but am expecting to be doing a bit of rear tyre swapping.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:03 AM   #1403
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okieboy2 View Post
I bought one to get rid of the low speed jerkyness that was VERY annoying to me. I couldn't be happier with the way the bikes runs now. To me it should run this way from the factory! I'm still playing with the different settings. I rode Colorado this summer and didn't have any problems going up some rough rocky mountain passes. I was very impressed with the handling of the bike. Of course some of that could be because my suspension was setup for me by Slavens. My only complaint is how the bike starts now when cold. It just takes a few more stabs at the start button. Idle setting will effect how it starts and you will have to find a balance you like. Now if I could just get KTM to reimburse me for the cost of the Vortex!!!
Thanks for the feedback. I sounds like you haven't regretted the purchase yet. I just hate to drop close $1k and not be really happy with the results.

I tried tweaking the maps and I was able to get the low speed jerkyness resolved, but I can't seem to cure the flame out issue. Maybe I should just go buy a damn tractor.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #1404
johnlt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
How did you like the Mefo's??? I have done a ton of Googling on reviews re: Mefo's vs Heidenau K60's vs Mitas E09vs TKC80's....and ....they seem to rank in that order.

for....80% gravel/dirt - 20% paved
The Mefo's were great. I've had many sets of TKC 80s and they are excellent also but don't last nearly as long.; I got around 4K miles on TKC 80s and over 8K miles on Mefo's.
1975 BMW R75/6
Yamaha WR250R
johnlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #1405
asheville thumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Fastway Footpegs

I read in the past that the 950/990 ones could be fitted to the 690 with some modification to the peg. Does anything have to be modified to the bike or just the peg? Could somebody clarify what needs to be done or post a picture. I would like to mount a set in the lowered position, but not really interested in taking a dremmel to the new bike.
asheville thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #1406
jalal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Got a question for you 690 experts:

Do the 690 Duke and the 690 E/R/SMC frames share the same geometry, especially the head stock?
The duke is like the SM.
The E/R/SMC are more or less the same frame.
jalal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #1407
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asheville thumper View Post
I read in the past that the 950/990 ones could be fitted to the 690 with some modification to the peg. Does anything have to be modified to the bike or just the peg? Could somebody clarify what needs to be done or post a picture. I would like to mount a set in the lowered position, but not really interested in taking a dremmel to the new bike.

Nothing gets modified on the actual foot peg. You have to modify the cast Aluminum footpeg mount that goes on the bike. I don't have any photos and wont be able to take some until the bike gets home. If you take the stock foot peg off of the bike and look at the mount you will see that the cast piece is machined flat behind the pin mount.....however the cast material ramps up in a U shape. The stock peg clears this material with ease but the Fastway will not. I used a dremel to cut this material back to create pivot clearance for the Fastway.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 01-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #1408
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
I do not think so....but I have no evidence or data to say one way or another right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalal View Post
The duke is like the SM.
The E/R/SMC are more or less the same frame.

I know that the mounts for the tank etc are different (rear tank vs. front tank), but I am wondering about the geometry. Not that it proves anything but I haven't been able to find a single bit of info on the web that would say so...
Old 01-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #1409
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
I know that the mounts for the tank etc are different (rear tank vs. front tank), but I am wondering about the geometry. Not that it proves anything but I haven't been able to find a single bit of info on the web that would say so...
what does the ktm site say for head angle for each?

Old 01-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #1410
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,949
KTMUSA pulled the 690's from their website. No 2012 Duke or Enduro R. Hope that doesn't mean something bad.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote