Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #46
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,112
Thanks briarpatch! ....Thanks to your generosity I have a "new" fender, tail light and signal bar. The wiring harness adorning it will also go to a good use....whenever I wire something in on a bike I like to use the same color coding as original so sacrificial wiring harnesses have value to me.
I found a black front fender on ebay and they both showed up today. After work I spent a few minutes and installed both. I happened to have some of the large strap BMW plates which go on the inside and some original bolts / washers too.
Wow, the fenders even match, we be stylin now!.

The ugly $1.04 bucket seat (with $50.00 shipping) also showed up. By chance I did need seat hinges and it had a pair. Had to drill out every screw to free them but I had spare screws. Pulled the back rest off and after a minute of deliberation........ The seat post was rusted off, and attempting to make it into a solo seat seemed fruitless. It was one of those seats that placed the rider so far forward that my gonads were damn near on the fuel tank. I set the seat on the bike, climbed on and my wife started laughing at me. Dumpster here we come!

'

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #47
briarpatch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Thumb

That thing would look GOOD parked at a scenic overlook here on the Blue Ridge Parkway!
Oh yeah, did you notice the return address on the box?

briarpatch screwed with this post 10-09-2011 at 07:38 PM Reason: add comment
briarpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #48
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
That thing would look GOOD parked at a scenic overlook here on the Blue Ridge Parkway!
Someday......we will get back East for some riding. Never have ridden a bike East of the Missouri river....

ABC# 1992
Old 11-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #49
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Title Woes

Finally had some down time from work. Spent a few days sorting out the old bike and have been sneaking around the neighborhood without proper registration. The bike fired right up and runs great. She has some wiring messed up as the PO jury rigged a lot of the headlight nacelle wiring into a lumps of wire nuts and crimp connectors.
I've already invested a few hundred dollars and a lot of time into the beater and have hit my limit of investment at this point.

The PO sold the bike to me and stated that the title was in his possession. Shame on me for not holding off until I had a title in hand. I knew that if the title never came to be, I could always part the bike out and make a buck or two.
Unfortunately the guy ended up being a scum bag and never located the parts he said he had or the title. He finally must have blocked my emails and my phone number as he won't reply to anything....

I had an old registration of his and the registration numbers were not matching the V.I.N. anyway (two numbers were mixed up). I hauled the bike to the Montana State Police and had the Frame #'s and Engine #'s ran through NCIC to be sure nothing was listed as stolen. All went well there and then I enlisted an insurance company to "Bond" the title ($100.00). The next step was to register the bike and apply for a new title with the Montana DMV. The DMV lady I dealt with was a bitch and said that I needed to make a better attempt to come up with a duplicate title. I told her, short of holding the previous owner at gunpoint and making him do it, I was out of options. So I am waiting for reply from the Montana DMV to see if they will issue a "new" title. I've been through this process before and had no problem but the DMV Bitch I dealt with soured the whole process. We'll see if a title is "awarded"...if not the bike will be parted out.

ABC# 1992
Old 11-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #50
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

My latest "catch" is being described as a "WW2 German BMW Sidecar Rig" by the present owner. He inherited it on some property he bought and knows very little about motorcycles.
The bike had been sitting in an old Semi Trailer for eons. I've had phone contact with the owner and have made arrangements to look it over next week.
The sidecar is separated from the bike. I have no idea of what the actual bike is....this should be interesting...maybe it will be my best once-in-a-lifetime "barn find".............hoping for the best and expecting the worse.

ABC# 1992
Old 11-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #51
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,233
I like the older machines. The older the better but of course there is a practical limit. Go back far enough and I wonder how they ever got anywhere with the machines they had in the 20's and 30's. I learned to drive on 50's cars and owned 50's car in the 60's. So my favorites amongst motorcycles are the 50's and 60's. I digress...

I have heard that there are more phony WWII motorcycles than real ones. This seems to apply especially to the BMW models. I mention this because it could be a elaborate set up. Here's where the experts are. Make sure you check with these guys before expending large amounts of cash.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734433

We'll want to see pictures of this newest treasure.

Charlie
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #52
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I like the older machines. The older the better but of course there is a practical limit. Go back far enough and I wonder how they ever got anywhere with the machines they had in the 20's and 30's. I learned to drive on 50's cars and owned 50's car in the 60's. So my favorites amongst motorcycles are the 50's and 60's. I digress...

I have heard that there are more phony WWII motorcycles than real ones. This seems to apply especially to the BMW models. I mention this because it could be a elaborate set up. Here's where the experts are. Make sure you check with these guys before expending large amounts of cash.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734433

We'll want to see pictures of this newest treasure.

Charlie
Good point Charlie.
I have minimal knowledge of the old BMW bikes, but DO know the difference from the Chinese / Russian ersatz rigs.
I'll be taking lots of photos and documenting serial #'s to do my research prior to any deal we might make.
The guy has never actively tried to sell the bike and doesn't know anything about them.
He just thought it was cool and that he might have it restored sometime...now it sounds like he's lost interest.

ABC# 1992
Old 11-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #53
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
the DMV Bitch I dealt with soured the whole process. We'll see if a title is "awarded"...if not the bike will be parted out.
I have never met more sour, grimacing, horrid bitches than those behind the counter at the DoR (Missouris version of a DMV) in my own hometown. Sounds like their mindset is spreading.

But, I went through the lost title process on my /2's and after a year or more of searching, I found out an easy (but slow) way of obtaining titles for $250 each. PM me if you haven't parted it out yet.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #54
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,324
I'm betting CJ/Ural, but hoping for the real McCoy for your sake.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #55
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I'm betting CJ/Ural, but hoping for the real McCoy for your sake.

That's what i'm thinking too....but you never know...one can always dream....

ABC# 1992
Old 11-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #56
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
That's what i'm thinking too....but you never know...one can always dream....
If you're ever gonna get lucky and score one of those for a reasonable price, this is how it'd happen. Hoping can't hurt.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote