User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 2,659
Federweisser, Castles, and Other Historical Places

In the summer of 2007, I had a great adventure doing a ride to Prudhoe Bay. A longtime friend of mine in Germany, Thorsten, a world traveler and notorious adventurer himself, after seeing my pictures decided to take up motorcycling. His friends decided it was a great idea too, and they all bought bikes. Here's some pics of my buddy that he was using to lure me over with....

Several months ago this long time friend of mine from Germany made me an offer I could not refuse.

It was that I could come over and ride his motorcycle whenever I could get over there.

I had bought an f650 last year that I intended to send over to Europe, but when the economy went south I reconsidered and still have not sent it yet. I still had the desire to ride over there though, and when I had a week off for Fall Break, I thought it might be tricky weather, but I decided I would take him on the offer and go for it.

I had to get up on Saturday morning at 4:00 in order to drive to Phoenix and be there by 6:20 to catch my 8:20 flight to Chicago.

Sky Harbor has a beautiful Spad XIII restored to honor Arizonaís most famous fighter pilot...no itís not John McCain, but Frank Luke Jr.

It was a nice morning to fly.

I eventually found myself over Burlington, Iowa....

Chicago looked nice as we headed in for a long layover.....

JMead11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

After sitting in Chicago for way too long....over 6 hours, I finally got onto my flight to Frankfurt. The worst part of the trip was now over. I could relax a bit on the flight over before the fun would begin.

I napped as much as I could. When morning came Freddy poked his head out of the camera bag and we looked out of the window at Germany below.

Then Frankfurt.....

Old 11-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

We had a reasonably smooth landing and interestingly enough we got off the plane onto the tarmac and loaded onto busses to go to the terminal.

My friend Thorsten was there with his father to pick me up, and we had a nice chat as we walked back to his car and then onto the Autobahn toward his familyís home along the Moselle. Saw this beautiful split window on the way there too.

Ahh....the wine country of the Moselle, and I was going to be here at a great time....

Old 11-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

Freddy was very pleased to see Thorstenís sister Kathrin once again.

Thorsten took me into the basement to show me my steed for the next week. His f650 Dakar.

Thorsten's nephew fills me in on the control of the bike....

But then is quickly reminded about ATGATT.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

We had to go to Thorsten's friend Robertís house and pick up another Dakar from him so we would have two bikes. He had his Dakar parked out front.

Robert explained to me his dream of doing the Nordkapp. I also have dreamt of doing this ride and would like to do it with them, but I am not sure it is possible for me to do it this year. One day I will do that one, but if I send my old f650 to Europe, would it be up to the task?

I was to ride the bike home, so after a nice coffee I suited up to make the short 40 minute ride back to Thorstenís.
Robert was very kind to loan Thorsten his bike, so Thorsten could loan me his. I did my best to keep the front wheel down as I departed from his house on the bike.

I made it back to Thorsten's okay, but I must have gotten lost somewhere as Thorsten beat me home....

I didnít do any more riding that first day in Germany, but I did spend some time drinking Federweisser and prepping my ride by installing the autocom off of my GS onto the Dakar.
Federweisser, literally translated is feather wine, a new wine that is only a few days old. It is tastier than any other kind of wine, and you canít keep it around once you buy it. You have to consume it fast before it turns on you. I was in the center of the winemaking industry of the Moselle, a place that had been making wine for thousands of years. This is one of the best times of year to be here. The federweisser is flowing from all the vintners in the areas, and there was no shortage of it in Thorstenís home.

Tomorrow would be the first big day of riding....
Old 11-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
wibornz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Ok looks good......keep posting.
wibornz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,370
Quite enjoyed your blow by blow voyage! Let's see German castles and history!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #8
SurfAwave69
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Ahh, Europe...keep the pic's coming.

SurfAwave69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #9
Kodanja
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
This looks great! "Educate" us!
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #10
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

In the morning, we rode off through the foggy vineyards and climbed out of the Moselle River valley and up to the ridge overlooking the villages below, but fog obscured my view.

A little further down the road we stopped at the shoe tree. Apparently there used to be a US base near here, and the soldiers hang their shoes in the tree near there when they got their release papers and could go home. This is near Hontheim, just north of the village on the 421.

Our next stop was the Pulvermaar near the village of Gillenfeld. It is a volcanic lake that is one of the deepest lakes in Germany. It is about 15,000 to 20,000 years old and shaped like the funnel of the volcano.

The road leading down to the lake was flooded with fall colors. We took advantage of the opportunity to take some pictures.

JMead11 screwed with this post 11-11-2008 at 07:11 PM
Old 11-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #11
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

This is the Totenmaar, the next in a series of volcanic lakes in the region.

We then drove down to Schalkenmehren, the village on the edge of the volcanic lake of the same name before heading down the road to Manderscheid, site of two castles that once was the site of conflict between the Electorate Trier in the upper castle and the lower castle to Luxembourg. The border separating the two regions runs right between the castles.

The upper castle is the oldest in the region of Eifel, dating back to before 973.

The lower castle dates to the 1100’s.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #12
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

We continued onward, through the town of Bitburg and then approached the border of Luxembourg at Vianden.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:13 AM   #13
samuraider
eurasia-riders

Oddometer: 86

samuraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:25 AM   #14
fireboy
Not dead, just asleep...

Oddometer: 265
Good fun. Next summer I will have the house paid off and can start doing these things!
Enjoy the trip!
Future: 2009 KTM SE, 1950's era C-170
fireboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #15
JMead11 OP
Crazy Bastard

First stop in Vianden was of course the gas station, as Luxembourg has the cheapest fuel

We then rode around the town and got some pictures of the castle. Vianden is an old Gallo Roman town, but the castle dates from the 11th to 14th century.

We parked below the castle and headed up on foot. A school group was descending with their newly crowned king.