Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2005, 05:15 PM   #151
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammo
For the sake of the 5 original "cast of characters", could we limit the posting of other folks' photos to a just a couple here and there, or maybe links to your OWN smugmugs or OWN ride reports? It's starting to seem like a photo contest, and my photos/memories are a little pale in comparison. Don't mean to sound bitchy, but I've been appointed.

Thanx
Threads have their own life,they always have and always will.

Good luck try'n to herd the cats
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:54 PM   #152
Jean-Luc
Throttle committed

Oddometer: 2,232
Time for me too to close that report . It is very time consuming to put one together but until it's done you're still somehow involved in your trip, which extends the pleasure...

In my last post, we were still in Mission San Borja and the goal for the day was to sleep in San Quintin that Kirkmoon had described as a nice place. The 1 offers quite a nice stretch of pavement going through the central mountains of Baja with nice sceneries and twisties (watch out for the big trucks though!). Then the 1 goes back to the Pacific coast and offers more developed and less appealing cities (IMO) all the way up to Tijuana. I'm sure we missed the nice part of San Quintin (if there is one) but we stopped there in a "real" supermarket to buy food and beers for the evening. Then, full West to whatever beach we could find on that peninsula...

As soon as we left the city it was gorgeous again and we had a lot of fun riding on that beach

That's it, we've found a great spot for our last night in Baja

Ready for the sunset...

"But wait, if we keep that pace, we'll run out of beer before the end of the evening " What an unbearable thought! The brave Whammo decides that he had to go on the hazardous mission of getting some more even though the town was at more than 30 minutes of dirt roads to be negociated at night. To our hero!

The other hero is Tiny who again cooked for us 5 a great meal on his stove. His generosity made him do prowess (knowing how little is available in Baja stores) to content our palate and stomach.

It was a very, very fine evening and night and it's with a somber face that we left in the morning...

It's at that very moment though that we had the great surprise of seeing several dolphins fishing in the waves very close to the beach. It was really beautiful! (sorry no pics)

Bye, bye Baja! We'll be back
Jean-Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:47 PM   #153
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,144
Holly Molly what a Baja Trip!!!

I'm new to reading this forum. I live in SD Ca and have traveled Baja a bunch, but I enjoyed the read and related to your tribulations. I ride a DR350 when I want to do much dirt down there, and I ride an old Honda 1100cc Sabre if I want to make time. I've had the Sabre out to the San Borhas Mission a couple years ago. The mission was locked up tight so I couldn't get in that time like you all did. I'm glad to see it is open again.

10 of us street bikes went down to do a whale watching tour in January. We spent a morning watching the whale, but didn't have any encounter closer than say 30 feet. You guys chose a better time to whale watch.

We went on down to Mulege to camp at that first campground south of town for a couple day, made the run to Loreto and Escondido Bay a little further south, Then the time was up and we had to head back to the states and waiting flight reservations.

My group consisted of 6 of my bikes. My DR and 5 1100cc old V4s. Friends from the SabMag list from the east coast joined me by air to use my wheels. There was one Big BMW from Sedro Woolly, Wa, and a couple AT Zuks (an SV1000 and his wife Sv650) and finally an NX650.

There is a Hostel about 70 miles south of Ensenada that you guys would enjoy staying at. It on the beach at Erendira. His website is www.coyotecals.com. You have to be willing to do 10 to 12 miles of semi-bad road, but once out there it is worth it. About a mile away is a fish camp where fish can be had to cook for dinner at the hostel. He supplys rice and refries for meals, but you need to bring the meat.

Did I say that he sells beer. That is my only tip. And you guys went to some places that I haven't been. I'd never been to that San Franciscan rock painting area.

You all will have to try the ride South from San Ignacio along the pacific coast to La Purisima.

I'll be watching this list form now on, and I try to get a ride along with some of you one of these months.

Pete
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:13 PM   #154
kirkmoon
Making up for lost youth

Oddometer: 8,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Luc
In my last post, we were still in Mission San Borja and the goal for the day was to sleep in San Quintin that Kirkmoon had described as a nice place.
The towns of San Quintin and Lazaro Cardenas are very unappealing IMHO. I hope I didn't lead you to believe otherwise. As you discovered, the nice part in that area is down on the edge of the Bay of San Quintin or on the Pacific Coast, several miles of dirt road to the West of Hwy 1. We stayed at the Old Mill Motel, which was right on the edge of the Bay and very nice, but far removed from the town itself. It is a place popular with sport fishermen and hunters who use it as a base of operations.

Looks like you found a beautiful place.

Thanks for the great report!
Old 03-22-2005, 11:41 PM   #155
Jean-Luc
Throttle committed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
I'm new to reading this forum. (...)
I'll be watching this list form now on, and I try to get a ride along with some of you one of these months.
Pete
Welcome to the Asylum, Pete!
And thanks for sharing your experiences and advice for... "next time"...
Old 03-22-2005, 11:43 PM   #156
Jean-Luc
Throttle committed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkmoon
The towns of San Quintin and Lazaro Cardenas are very unappealing IMHO. I hope I didn't lead you to believe otherwise. As you discovered, the nice part in that area is down on the edge of the Bay of San Quintin or on the Pacific Coast, several miles of dirt road to the West of Hwy 1.
That's what we figured out after reading your ride report . No worries, we had some hardcore "campers" in our group and so we would have headed for the beach anyway. Cheers!
Old 03-23-2005, 07:00 PM   #157
gilbrock
Official Subaru Fan Boy

Oddometer: 56
Good thread Josh. Thought i'd join and pipe in.

Eli

(whammo's brother in SD)

And there is STILL beer left in the fridge from when you guys crashed. Betcha would have stopped on the way back if you knew that... haha

AH

gilbrock screwed with this post 03-23-2005 at 07:16 PM
gilbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:38 PM   #158
Flyingavanti
With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer: 1,545
Your pictures of San Borja Mission are unbelievable!
Baja is a funny place. Baja is an illness that gets in your blood. You can go down there and bust your butt and have a great time, but when you get home, you think to yourself that that is enough of Baja for a while!
Then about a month later you start missing it and another month you start looking for friends to head south with again. My illness with Baja started in 1972 and I do not think there is a cure. Your pictures have instantly started me looking at the calender again, to plan another dose of Baja.

Thanks!

Over 27,000 miles in South America -- which is NOT enough!

Here is a link to the South American Ride Report...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94531

Trip Index Page.... If you are interested in one spot in South America, you can click on this link http://www.ploung.com/south_america.htm and go directly to your point of interest.
www.Ploung.com
Flyingavanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:14 PM   #159
Tiny
Wonky Eyed Bastard

Oddometer: 774
Baja is an illness in your blood?

I think I know what you mean but I'm still finding it to be more an illness of the lower bowel. Infact...I...uh....!...uf....nevermindIgottago.... ..............
Old 03-24-2005, 01:03 PM   #160
Vance
Banned

Oddometer: 18,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny
I think I know what you mean but I'm still finding it to be more an illness of the lower bowel. Infact...I...uh....!...uf....nevermindIgottago.... ..............
Here you go Tiny:
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 01:18 PM   #161
Jean-Luc
Throttle committed

Time for that thread to go down the drain
Old 03-24-2005, 06:35 PM   #162
gilbrock
Official Subaru Fan Boy

Oddometer: 56
So....

How many posts til I lose the 'noob' tag?

Sorry for the hijack Josh....

Eli

www.tommygunrally.com
gilbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:59 PM   #163
marndo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
in the words of jack sparrow, "a ship is not just a ship, it is freedom." Bring me that horizon.
marndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:02 PM   #164
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,899
Great reports and pictures. Did you make it through to the Comondus? Tight sked on the day trip? Pacifico withdrawals? I have never found time to do the Comondus, and my parents rave about the fruit orchards, and aqueducts. Are they oversold on the area?

JL, more technoid questions:

New front rim. Was it stronger than the OEM Behr? You replaced it with a Sun rim, right?

Tubeless TKCs with tubes?

21" TKC too square, or OK for leisure doubletracking? Would a D606 front be too knobby for the pavement?

And finally... Ortliebs; I want the good, the bad, and the Ugly. They looked well-strapped on! Oh yes, where did you stow the tent poles?

Please PM me or post elsewhere if Whammo feels we are denigrating anything

Oh, and Mrs Lonestar, you sound like a winner

Don't worry, Tex, I married one too
Old 03-24-2005, 11:58 PM   #165
Whammo OP
Nature's toothbrush

Oddometer: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiti
Please PM me or post elsewhere if Whammo feels we are denigrating anything

Oh, and Mrs Lonestar, you sound like a winner

Don't worry, Tex, I married one too
Sorry, just like hoarding the spotlight!

yea, she rocks