Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2005, 11:07 AM   #166
Popey
Nutter

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiti
Great reports and pictures. Did you make it through to the Comondus? Tight sked on the day trip? Pacifico withdrawals? I have never found time to do the Comondus, and my parents rave about the fruit orchards, and aqueducts. Are they oversold on the area?
Yeah, we made a huge loop out of Mulege to Loreto, San Javier, the Comondus, San Isidro and back to the 1 to Mulege. Long day after a late start as some of the team had the runs.

Very beautiful area, and it seemed very lightly travelled as we hardly saw anyone, other than a gringo couple who had found a great spot by the side of the dirt road and were enjoyed a picnic in the shade. They pointed us in the right direction and obviously had some local knowledge.

I'd like to go back and spend some more time there. Awesome area.
'08 CBR 1000RR (Track)
'02 Mille R (Track)
Popey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 01:51 PM   #167
Jean-Luc
Throttle committed

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
JL, more technoid questions:
New front rim. Was it stronger than the OEM Behr? You replaced it with a Sun rim, right? Tubeless TKCs with tubes? 21" TKC too square, or OK for leisure doubletracking? Would a D606 front be too knobby for the pavement?
Yes, it's a Sun rim now and it's WAY stronger that the OEM. I've done 10,000 miles on it including the PCQ and a lot of off-road and it still doesn't have a dent. Yes again for the Tubeless TKC with tubes. It's my regular tire now and I know many other riders who do the same and there is absolutely no problem about that. I don't really like the front TKC in that 21/90/90 size and already wrote some blurb in the "Orange" section, but I've never tried the D606 on the 950. I might start yet another tire thread...

Quote:
And finally... Ortliebs; I want the good, the bad, and the Ugly. They looked well-strapped on! Oh yes, where did you stow the tent poles?
For that topic too I might start a thread because I got several PM about it. For now, I can tell you that I am very happy so far after doing DV and Baja with them. I will have to wait for a real crash to see how they take it though. Iā€™m also leveraging the Jesse mounts to keep them away from the pipes so it all depend what you have on your bike. They seem sturdy, are very light and very waterproof. But they are too small for my tent bag that I placed it in that big bag on the back of my bike.

Jean-Luc screwed with this post 03-25-2005 at 02:40 PM
Jean-Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 02:02 PM   #168
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,896
Gracias, senor. The D606 seems to have closely spaced knobs like a TKC, and a rounder profile than 21" TKC. Knobs are taller/deeper than TKC, so might have more squirm. Rear is 120/90 only. Higher profile might make up for narrower width, and sizes are all over the map. Thinking about making some homemade "pultruded" fiberglas racks for Ortliebs. Repairable, and flexible on impact. Maybe a bit lighter than steel. Good to hear about your rim. Is there a thread about KTM/European drilling vs Asian? I would like to know more about my options. Minor flat spot on my front now.

Thanks again!

Paolo
Old 03-27-2005, 11:56 AM   #169
Whammo OP
Nature's toothbrush

Oddometer: 2,178
Guys,
I've started a thread in "equipment" to help answer the folks that have been asking about our gear on this trip. Feel free to chime-in

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73632
Old 09-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #170
Jean-Luc
Throttle committed

Oddometer: 2,231
I was looking at that ride report since we're going back there in 3 weeks and that post from Whammo really cracked me up again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammo
[...]Rims were foldin' faster than Superman on laundry day!

[...]More wasting of valuable drinking time.

[...]Jean-Luc leisurely enjoying the scenery.

[...]Please forgive me father, for I have failed to effectively leverage the daylight.

[...]Hey Brad, why'd you stop way back there?

Oh.

[...]Sometimes, you just gotta stop and talk to a dude on a horse.