User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 839
Van Isle to Kamloops via DRZ400

Hi all, i know i promised new RR's months ago, but ive been too busy riding!!! Im going to start posting this one, and i'll be adding bits every few days.
This time I rode from Victoria BC, and ended up in Kamloops, completely by mistake!!! I really had no plan, except to find some more desert scenery and hit a bit more offroad than the last ride report...

I left Victoria about 1030AM and managed to avoid the onslaught of Labor Day traffic in Colwood. The weather is perfect,and the skies are blue.
IMG_8038
It is so rare that I actually stop at these rest stops, because i'm on this road so much, but I figured I needed a shot for the trip! The lighting could not have been better!
IMG_8039
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Lotsa people out, Summer is Finally here in BC!!!!
IMG_8040
Its always fun listening to the noise of the bikes against steel walls!
IMG_8041
On the 12:45 from Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay, and it is HOT!! it hasn't hit much above 25c this year in Victoria, so this is real nice!
IMG_8042
Vancouver looms in the distance.... I'm glad im not riding thru town on this ride. It's no place for a DRZ!
IMG_8067
IMG_8072
Old 09-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Yep, our boats are gettin' old!
IMG_8075
Starting up the Sea To Sky (Highway 99). This turned out to be some of the most fun 4 lane highway i have ridden! it gets even better after whistler and Princeton. It gets much tighter, and keeps you real busy shifting gears and braking. Loads of fun!
How do you pronounce the 7 in Squamish???
IMG_8078
IMG_8080
The Chief
IMG_8083
Old 09-08-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

There were two other dual sporters i'd seen on the road a few times since the ferry, and I met them both in Pemberton at a gas station. each of us thought one was with the other, but we were all solo. We all took a break and exchanged stories, and decided to ride together to the other side of the mountains and camp out. Daylight was burning, so we wanted to get away from the mountains and into the arid lands of Lilloette.
IMG_8091
IMG_8095
There's always time for a runaway lane though! I was in the back coming up, and lost momentum, because it was so dusty, i couldn't see the ruts and rocks. Dumped twice trying to get going again, even with help! Its a bit of a challenge with luggage!
Our friend on the KLR also dumped his brand new machine going down,and it got its first scrapes on the left cowl! Just broken in, i say! Poor guy, it was his first dirt experience! he took it well, and in all fairness, the stock KLR tires ain't that great offroad!
IMG_8099
IMG_8102
IMG_8103
Old 09-08-2011, 01:25 AM   #5
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Pemberton to Lillooette

IMG_8106
IMG_8107
I forget the name of the lake, but there is a fairly significant hydro dam at the end of it.
IMG_8111
Now we are entering the rain shadow. It is getting warmer, The trees are less and less, and sagebrush is starting to make a presence.
IMG_8115
Old 09-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Its real warm out, but Its getting dark, and in Lillooette, the gas pump bears the mark of the Devil!!! How fitting.... Do we go and check out the bar, or does the bar come to check us out?? Time to find a camping spot!
IMG_8116
We find a nice gravel pit and set up camp. There is but one dead tree from which to salvage firewood, and it starts like match sticks.
I've found camping off of vancouver island to be way easier sleeping than home. I guess it's because the land is so much more open. For some reason I feel safer with a longer line of sight. On Van isle, there are so many big cats, that I rarely get a good nights sleep. Back in July, I was riding down Mt. Washington, and half way down, a cougar ran across the road 70 feet in front of me! That was the third one i have seen in my lifetime. One time camping by bicycle, I got stocked by one in the middle of the night!!!
I slept well here. There were no twigs cracking, no bears crashing, just crickets....
IMG_8120
Old 09-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Even in this warm climate, mornings are brisk, | guess its the time of year, but i'm guessing we are at some altitude too, because I notice my isobutane stove takes twice as long to boil water. A beautiful sunrise to start the day, and its time to pack up.
IMG_8128
IMG_8129
Old 09-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

But there's always time to play in the dirt before we go!! Eric from Smithers likes a challenge, and tries to ride a loose gravel ledge on his KTM! It was so loose, the only safe way out was for me and Chris from Vanderhoof to help slide the bike down the bank and push it out. The big boxes really helped with this!
IMG_8130
Old 09-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,219
Blockhead

I guess I should pay attention... Here I am telling you how to get to Pemberton on the other thread...
what broke now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #10
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

On the road to a small place called Pavillion. Eric has been on this road a few times, and knows a backroad from this little hamlet to Clinton. He was taking a dirt road from there to Williams Lake, and then on to Smithers. We were parting ways very soon, as Eric was doing dirt northbound, chris was taking the highway after a bit of dirt, and I was heading east into the desert.
IMG_8132
Finally off road!!!
IMG_8133
IMG_8136
IMG_8137
This part of the province goes from lush green valleys, to desert in the rain shadows, and back again within a few short kilometers! the mountains are warm, and the valley bottoms are surprisingly cool and refreshing.
IMG_8138
Old 09-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

After riding the 30k of dirt switchbacks and trail towards Clinton, Eric parted ways and headed north on his dirt trail to Williams Lake. Chris and I decided to get breakfast in a small cook shack in town. Simple, cheap, good food, and lots of local folkel hanging about. It was one of those places where everyone looks at you as you enter! No worries,It was friendly enough. I grew up in a small town, so I know it's always interesting when travellers show up. Chris was heading north now, so we said our goodbyes, good luck, and safe journey, and got rolling on our separate ways. It was real fun riding with such like minded people! I hope to meet them again some day.
IMG_8142
Old 09-09-2011, 12:58 AM   #12
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Going south on highway 97, I'm heading towards Cache Creek, and It's getting hotter and dustier. I hit some dirt trails between Cache Creek and Kamloops.
IMG_8143
IMG_8146
IMG_8150
IMG_8152
IMG_8153
Deadman Cache Rd.
IMG_8154
IMG_8155
Old 09-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #13
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur