Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #31
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 836
I'd love to see one of these in action!
IMG_8327
I hope they didn't find out the hard way that it wouldn't fit in the shed!
IMG_8329
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #32
BeezaBoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Great ride report!

Looks like a really fun trip. B.C. has some of the best riding anywhere.

Keep posting those photos!
BeezaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #33
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

I had a quick breakfast in Kamloops, Green Eggs and Ham! It was at a place called "Hello Toast", real good stuff! Gotta head back to the Island today, Now im heading south down 5A. Are we in Kansas? no, this is still BC!!! woah!
IMG_8332
Yeah, thats What I said!!!!
IMG_8335
Old 09-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #34
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Its a beautiful highway, but I want to hit some dirt! I look at the map, and it looks like I can avoid 30k of pavement on the east side of the road.
IMG_8336
IMG_8338
Hmm, this is a little more up hill than the map shows... Where is the map???
IMG_8343
Now I'm scanning the ditches and cattle guards for my map bag!
IMG_8346
Oh man, where is it???
IMG_8340

Lookin' Back On The Track, For A Little Green Bag!
Lookin Back On The Track
I'm Amazed that my compass is still in one piece after it being on the road so long! it was 1/2hr back on the highway! I thought for sure that it was toast!
IMG_8347
Old 09-14-2011, 12:48 AM   #35
BCJC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
not sure if you're here or i'm too late, but i live in ucluelet, and have a small shop with some tools you can use if need be. pm if interested.
BCJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:54 AM   #36
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJC View Post
not sure if you're here or i'm too late, but i live in ucluelet, and have a small shop with some tools you can use if need be. pm if interested.
Cool man, thanks for the offer, I discovered the problem in Duncan luckily, very lucky in fact! it was a block away from Duncan Motorsports! Now im waiting for an output shaft seal! ill be busing it to work till at least next weekend!!!
Man, youve got some beautiful trails up yer way man, I'll be back again! there will be a Ukee ride report soon enough!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #37
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Now i'm back on the trail! I should've taken the right side of the fork!
IMG_8349
I live in a temperate rainforest, so riding through open fields like this is a real treat!
IMG_8356
It is beautiful, but deadly hot! I've been drinking water all day, and still feel dehydrated. The trail led to another ranch, and I'm sure the road goes through, but it looked rather un-inviting. Time to turn around, oh well, the scenery and riding was worth it!
IMG_8357
IMG_8360
Old 09-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #38
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Heading into Merritt Town, I go to get gas, water, and though I have a love/hate thing with fast food, I get some DQ after 1/2 hr waiting for people to get ice cream! i get my burger and fries, down it, and hit the road. I talk with two Harley riders after gassing up, and one of them also has a DRZ400, though an E model. I was going to take the highway to princeton, and highway 3 through Manning Park to Hope, but they convinced me that Highway 8 to Spences Bridge was really worth it, would only add about 1/2 hr to the trip to Hope, and was far less of a climb than through Manning. I rode Highway 3 earlier in the year, and wanted to see some new ground anyway. My bike goes through a bit of oil, and was getting low anyway, so I figured the mountain climb would only burn more! Highway 8 was well worth it! A very scenic trip through a desert valley. I've never seen Death Valley before, but that is what it made me think of. Very rugged, dry, rocky terrain here. I didn't take any pictures, I was having too much fun tailing some other Harley riders who were setting a good pace, and time was getting short, so I had to make headway.
IMG_8366
Old 09-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #39
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

On the bridge in Spences Bridge!
IMG_8376
IMG_8372
Old 09-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #40
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

I stop on the Fraser River to try and cool off. The sun is covered by clouds, but the wind is still a blast of heat! I have never felt hot winds like this before.
IMG_8378
Old 09-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #41
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Heading south, down the fun, but busy Highway 97 through the Fraser Canyon
IMG_8382
This would've been fun! Gotta catch a ferry though

IMG_8387

IMG_8388

I gotta get the map book for this area. It is absolutely beautiful!

IMG_8394
Old 09-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #42
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Heading through one of the eight tunnels through the Fraser Canyon/ Hells Gate area.
IMG_8396
IMG_8399
IMG_8402
Old 09-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #43
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

I stop for gas in Hope, contemplate food, and decided, naah, im gonna book it for the 9:00 Tsawassen ferry. I decided on Highway 7 across the river, which was much more relaxed than the Autobahn-esque Trans Canada through the Fraser Valley. Nice road, too many campers from the long weekend though! I might have caught my ferry if it wasn't for their convoys. I headed south from Mission, and took highway 10A (Langley Bypass) to get to Tsawassen.
As I always do, I missed Ladner/Trunk Rd, and ended up on Highway 99 north into downtown! You CANNOT cross this highway for miles, and the interchanges always screw me up here for some reason! I missed my boat, and ended up taking the 10:45 from Tsawassen to Nanaimo!

IMG_8408

I can't thank BC Ferries enough for eliminating paper schedules- as it turns out there was a 9:00 from Horseshoe Bay that I could have made! It's going to be a long night.....

IMG_8411
Old 09-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #44
Tropic-Of-Canada OP
Thread Derailleur

Well, Thats about it! The ferry arrived at about 1:30 AM at Duke Point. 100 km to go, and I can sleep in my own bed! The roads are dead... I pass through Duncan, and see a Chevron station, decide to get gas, and I go to turn left into it, and then..........BAM! I'm on the ground!!! What the hell just happened? evidently, I tried to drive over an un-marked concrete centre curb!
I saw the island, but it looked like it had a gap in it for turning left! no gap, It just narrowed for the advance left turning lane ahead! aren't these supposed to be bright yellow?? Under the amber street lights, it blended in with the pavement perfectly! I slid about 20 feet, and ended up with a bruise on my knee so slight, that it barely changed colour! My $360 riding pants just saved me soo much pain!!! the knee armour is what really saved me. To date, I have still had many more painful experiences involving mountain bikes (knock on wood). The bike was also fine, with just a few new scratches on the left cowl, and front fender! I think I should credit my TCI engine guards for that, but damn, these are some tough bikes!
I don't know how I picked up my bike and pushed it over the curb and off the road so fast! embarrassment? fear of police perhaps? fear of ICBC? I laugh it off, get my gas, and hit the road! I don't need to be sticking around here.

Now, its just the Malahat, and i'm home. I take it easy, and watch the ditches for deer. Sure enough, i see a few. That road sure feels tighter in the dark! 330 am, and im home! Man, that was a fun three days!
Old 09-15-2011, 11:26 PM   #45
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
Ummmm....you know we got Cougars in the interior too eh?

IMO the central interior has some of the best riding anywhere. I love that high desert country...

Good thing I have relatives in Kamloops