Beta: 300RR 2014, Rev 3 270 2005
TM 144EN 2009
lowbudget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:30 AM   #17
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Oddometer: 1,425
half a learners permit.

Over the weekend I took Aaron down to the Newcastle rider training centre to do the practical side of his Learners permit. Held over both days for 4 hours each day, Aaron come away with the most important piece of paper and thought it was a bit basic, but I did over hear a bit of stuff the instructor was talking about, and I thought it was relavent. Heres a few pics of the weekend.

Getting closer now.
Cheers Fogo...
Fogo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:37 AM   #18
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Feel free to leave your comments as we go along.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #19
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,317
Nice helmet, just bought a Spada, made it sticky, so wish you a good run!!!!
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #20
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
looks like some fun coming up!!!
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #21
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

A bit too early.

Aaron went to sit for his learners permit, he got all the questions correct. When he went up to the counter to pay for it the lady said your a month too early, I didn't take much notice of to actual date as I thought the young fella was all over it. Bloody hell, we leave on the 25th of next month. Anyway we will just scrape in.
I have been back to work now for a week, so the bikes have been just sitting there. Last night and today we have been doing a bit.

I thought I better pull my swing arm out and wash out all the bearings and repack them with grease as they have not been done for 2 years.

My bike is still comming apart and Aaron's is going back together.

I had to take my tappet cover off to reseal it, not a 5 minute job. While I was in there I wanted to check up on one exhaust valve shim that I knew was breaking up. Found both exhaust valve shims to be wearing faster than I would like, so they will have to be replaced. I had a good collection of shims but not the right ones, will have to order two.

Since I converted my KLX to electric start it would not start cold on the electric starter only once the engine was warm, so I used this time to adjust the KACR, or Kawasaki automatic compression release. I knocked it out of the end of the Exhaust cam and refitted it in 5 deg advanced. I showed Aaron how to reasemble it. We boiled the cam in water and froze the KACR in ice, then slipped them together and drove them home with a punch.

I run my cam timing on my Exhaust cam one tooth out on the retarded side, as I found with the big bore kit it gave me a higher top speed and pulls alot harder, I have been running it like that for a few thousand klms now with no probs.
I put it all back together and found it was about 15 thou off, we tried to start her, but nothing. Took the cams out again and knocked the KACR back off and went to about 6 degs and refitted it back into the head, tried it and she fired straight up cold. Tried a couple more time and it fired every time.

I pulled the cams back out so we can source some valve shims this week for the exhaust buckets.

You can see in the pic the hard facing on the shims is not real good, better they go then the $400 cams.

Aaron was kept busy today fitting his new dash and mounting his muffler to the subframe.

Just under the cross bar you can see the bracket he has made to mount his HID ballast. still waiting for that from overseas Ebay purchase.

Getting there guys, hope to be riding in a week, sorry it has only been repairs and mods so far, but believe me, this ride is going to be a cracker.
Cheers Fogo
Old 09-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #22
soupbone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
thanks for lettin us join in. love the detail.keep it coming. happy riding
soupbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:39 AM   #23
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Sunday in the shed.

Today we started putting Aaron's bike back together, Fitted the new inductive pick up to the front wheel for the new digital speedo. His new tank went on after we glued some old rubber inner tube to the frame where it is going to rub.
Just waiting for his DRZ400 battery box and HID headlight kit, which should be he this week.

We went for a drive to pick up our UHF inter com units, Mine had to be repaired and Aaron's had to be set up to suit the uniden 076. So when we got home I put my dash back together. Good to see the front of my bike back on.

UHF hooked up, Ipod and digital speedo. The black box below the cross bar is the intercom unit that feeds both the music and UHF audio through the plug into your helmet.

We both made a small backet and fitted a new type of switch for the push to talk, out of an old picture frame bracket.

Lookig good, and getting closer.

Back to work now for a few days, Aaron is on school holidays for the next two weeks so he can carry on while not there.

Cheers Fogo....
Old 09-27-2011, 08:25 AM   #24
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,254
looks like it will be a great adventure you both will remember a long time.
I dont want to come off as a nervous nelly but that wind screen could be dangerous in the right/wrong situation. I know a guy that was a baja pro racer, he hit an unexpected ditch ( not in race at the time) , impact tossed him forward, he had a metal hoop protecting his over size head light, the impact of the metal hoop ( this was in the same area that screen is in) hit him across the eyes, he died from it. nice guy. this was 25 yrs ago. also some of the dakar fatalities have been coming from chest trauma , likely from the oversize dash boards. maybe a trim back with a rubber hose wrap on the edge?
any way, best of luck and have a great time
ph yeah, any chance that mine wants a 53 yr old apprentice?
Old 09-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #25
ckjj888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Overhaul~~~
ckjj888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #26
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile View Post
looks like it will be a great adventure you both will remember a long time.
I dont want to come off as a nervous nelly but that wind screen could be dangerous in the right/wrong situation. I know a guy that was a baja pro racer, he hit an unexpected ditch ( not in race at the time) , impact tossed him forward, he had a metal hoop protecting his over size head light, the impact of the metal hoop ( this was in the same area that screen is in) hit him across the eyes, he died from it. nice guy. this was 25 yrs ago. also some of the dakar fatalities have been coming from chest trauma , likely from the oversize dash boards. maybe a trim back with a rubber hose wrap on the edge?
any way, best of luck and have a great time
ph yeah, any chance that mine wants a 53 yr old apprentice?
Thanks for the heads up, hope you guys like the report once we get back from the trip and put all the photos on and the adventures that we come across.
Cheers Fogo...
Old 09-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #27
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
Will you be able to update as you go at all?
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:36 AM   #28
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpillar View Post
Will you be able to update as you go at all?
It will be a 7 day trip and will will try to let you guys know what is going on and you will be able to follow my SPOT GPS, you may not get pics until we get home, You have got me thinking, leave it with me.
Cheers Fogo.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:49 AM   #29
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

Where's the postman

I have had a couple of days off work and Aaron and I have been in the shed woking on the twins. We have got a few things that have not turned up yet from EBAY. Tank stickers coming from USA, DRZ400 battery box coming from UK, and a HID headlight kit coming from Canada.
My bike has still got the cams out of it as I need to order more shims to get the valve clearences correct.

I got my new chain slider, fitted the swing arm and a new chain and sprockets.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:00 AM   #30
Fogo72 OP
I Bleed Green

We finally decided where we were going to mount Aarons hand held two way charging cradle.
Just don't headbutt the aerial.

I bought some footpeg extenders off Balards and got to work,

A bit fiddley but I'm sure it will be worth it, something decent to stand on.

Ugly, yes I know, but strong.

And a coat of paint to hide my bad welding, extra thick does the trick.

Back to work for a few days, I will have to get Aaron to carry on making his saddle bag racks with out me.
Cheers Fogo...