Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #16
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,414
My son has a Super Sherpa, and while it's more sophisticated than my XT225, to be honest, the brakes, regardless of rear disc, suck. Really suck badly.

Vertically challenged, the XT225 is hard to beat, and the 6 speed is great on the road. A lot more of them out there, more aftermarket support too.

Don't get me wrong, I like the SS, but the brakes scare me.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #17
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,414
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
My son has a Super Sherpa, and while it's more sophisticated than my XT225, to be honest, the brakes, regardless of rear disc, suck. Really suck badly.

Vertically challenged, the XT225 is hard to beat, and the 6 speed is great on the road. A lot more of them out there, more aftermarket support too.

Don't get me wrong, I like the SS, but the brakes scare me.
I have no problem with the brakes on my Sherpa; I have two of them, one or mostly pavement riding, another beater for dirt duties..

I've ridden multiple XT225s, no significant better braking performance in comparison. how many Sherpa have you ridden? maybe yours is due for brake service?

Brakes, who needs them? they only slow you down.
-Snuff Smith
Old 09-11-2012, 01:52 AM   #18
Guy Jinbaiquerre OP
Monorail Conductor

Oddometer: 1,222
Hey everybody,

Sorry I forgot about this thread; it's been a while. So anyway, here's what I eventually got:

Honda XR 250 Baja (photo not of my actual bike, but it's the same model year and color).

I get my feet pretty much flat on the ground when then suspension compresses. It's light and fun and I'm liking it a lot.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Guy Jinbaiquerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:14 AM   #19
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,414
Don't believe we get that model in the US. The new Honda 250 DS would probably fit the bill, especially as it's FI for only $4500.

Hope yours is working out for you.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:19 AM   #20
davidmill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
crf250l
davidmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #21
Hans_Krugger
Rock Jock

Oddometer: 25
The Yamaha XT250...

I recommend the Yamaha XT250. Its got an appropriate seat hieght, is light, highly reliable and performs very well. It is street legal and 70 mph is not a problem, yet it still has the torque for getting down and dirty. These little Yam Thumpers are a standard - tried and true. They are a good value for the money. I bought a new 2009 this summer for $3,999.

I generally ride backroads, some steep trails and abandoned rail lines. I also ride golf courses and my nieghbor lawns. Man the XT250 is perfect for rutting up a golf green with donuts. I also use mine when hunting yard gnomes. That baby can plow down day lillies like a Sherman tank. Its also the perfect size for playing Cat Polo. It corners as tight as most cats and its low enough that you use a regular croquet mallet . It also takes curbs well - really handy for out running the cops.

Most of all, the Yamaha XT250 is a chick magent. Babes go ga-ga over it. Everytime I pull up next to a traffic light, soccor moms, hot cougars, super models and gorgeous mature women flash me, shout out their phone numbers and beg for a ride. Its not me. It is the XT 250. Buy one. It will change your life. It changed mine.
Hans_Krugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #22
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 2,098
None of that shit happened to me! Oh, i had a XT 225...
Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #23
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Why don't we get stuff like that? That thing is cool.

Dual Baja style, FRAME mounted headlights pointing wherever the bike is going not the bars, 3.7 gallons of gas and a reasonable seat height!!!! If my KLX had all that it would be damn near perfect, for a 250.
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #24
ReferJohn
3RD Generation Rider

Oddometer: 446
Xr650l all day everyday
Old 11-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #25
ntm1973
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
How much luggage do you want to carry exploring hard trails? I would recommend against a back pack, it's to easy to get hurt if you fall with one on. If you want to carry luggage, you may want to figure that out before you get set on a bike. Some of the bikes mentioned in this thread are better at accomodating luggage than others. Yea, almost anything can be made to work (if you throw enough $$$ at it) but some have more aftermarket support.

I have a klx250s that I enjoy and can make work camping with wolfman enduro bags but I would have to go the giant loop if I was camping on a more regular basis or in colder temps/at altitude that requires more gear.

The wr250r has a lot of luggage options but if "feels" taller than the klx250 and most other bikes in the class.

The xt225 is a great little bike and easy to work on with good aftermarket support, the xt250 doesn't have the same level of aftermarket support ......yet.

The crf250l might be good but is too new to have any aftermarket support.
ntm1973 is offline   Reply With Quote