ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #76
Wudscrasher
Stand-Up Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,022
Ran into (not literally) Silverboy & Thump co on Sevenmile after I got lost and couldn't find Swamp Creek Cutoff 2 hours ago. Reports from the front, were wet & muddy conditions, but didn't sound like anyone was in any trouble. Reports should be coming in in a few hours. I nursed a sore shoulder over OFR to Sevenmile and back, and dodged the rain. Perfect conditions out there: cool, wet, no dust
'94 DR 350SER
Wudscrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #77
Wudscrasher
Stand-Up Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,022
Wow. 9:20pm and no reports yet? Must've got home & passed-out. Can't blame y'all...this Challenge is brutal...Mark is a sick SOB
'94 DR 350SER
Wudscrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #78
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,868
Gee, I hope they're alright . It well past dark and we all know it's not safe to ride motorcycles after dark
Old 09-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #79
PrairieRider
Gearing down for Hell

Oddometer: 3,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
Gee, I hope they're alright . It well past dark and we all know it's not safe to ride motorcycles after dark
Most everyone is down as far as I know. Not sure about the status of 602.
1994 Beta Techno 250

Striving to do better.
PrairieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #80
silverboy
Bunny

Oddometer: 544
Out and back.

I'm down.
Long day. Whose idea was it to ride back Donner pass? Crazy slippery, like some environmentalist sabatoged the rocks with axle grease!
Great day! Thanks!
silverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #81
Pariahtize
Miscategorized

Oddometer: 1,158
Brutal

Yes, we are all back. . . and I am feeling brutalized. No destroyed bikes or people, although there was a knee injury. Oh, and my motivation. . . totally destroyed. . . I don't want to do anything, ever again.

Awesome. Thanks for putting this on Shearboy.

We saw 602 and friend coming up Killpecker on our way down. . . never saw or heard them again, and we left the parking area at 830.

I'm done.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #82
shearboy2004 OP
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,326
I think I might have a wee lay down.
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:19 AM   #83
GSL
Team Big Wheel

Oddometer: 1,739
Had a good ride yesterday. Thanks for the route idea! Sorry we didn't ride WITH you guys. Nile and I just got in a groove and things just seemed to flow. The rowdy section, uphill, in the rain, was not much fun. Smiles overall!
IBA #10979 - Member COHVCO - Member CMTRA - Lifetime Member Blue Ribbon Coalition - Member NMOHVA - Member NCTR
My picture site
GSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:27 AM   #84
ReverendLimiter
n00b

Oddometer: 3
602 and I made it out in one piece. However, 602's head gasket went out near pingree and 135? on the way back. I rode and got his truck; droppped his truck off and made it to the trail head of donner. I sat and though long and hard about finishing the ride, but thankfully I decided that with no one behind me, sun down approaching, and the inevitable fatigue wall I was going to hit not to. Got back to my truck and saw that everyone was still out there, I reliezed then that not doing donner was the only good choice I made all day. All in all had a great 127 mile day.

Looking forward to doing this ride again, but I will stick to the script and not go for any bonus points. Great ride for whomever thought of it. Definately a ride where pretty much everything has to go right to finish during the daylight hours. It was nice to meet all of you fellow masochists out there.
ReverendLimiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
602 is alive and well.

What a great idea for a ride.

When I was able to pull myself out of bed at 5:30, I decided that the day started off pretty well. But then things quickly went down hill. As I pulled off of the tarmac and onto 44H, I scream F%%K!!! I realize that I have forgotten a rather important item. My backpack. I quickly do a mental check of everything that was in the backpack that I needed for a succesful day of riding. Camelback, food, tools, master links, money for gas, premix .... This list goes on. I decide that thiings these are just details when you are going a 98 mile ride. You dont really need to eat, do you? . So I pull in to the Moody trail head and intoduce myself to Shearboy.

After parking my truck on White Pne and gearing up, I ride down 44h back to the Moody Hill lot where I meet ReverendLimiter. I inform him of my missing backpack. After I good laugh, we duct tape a camelback bladder to my front number plate and take off.

By my own suggestion, we added a lot of extra mileage yesterday. I should humbly admit that I way overestimated my endurance motor for this ride. The out and back that I managed to stitch together was closer to 150 miles than it was to 98 miles. We started the ride from the base of moody at around 8:45. Delay of game. 1:45. After Moody, I took us on an alternate and more difficult route towards crystal. Bonus miles section 1. We roll onto the base of Donnor, take a couple deep breaths and then begin to tackle the climb. A few minutes later I got to the crux move on Donner. Damn! It wsa tough today. Probably the toughest it has ever been for me. Finally get through there and finish the rest of Donner with a few 30 second breaks and no major mishaps.

After finishing Donner and rolling up to my truck that I parked at White Pine, ReverendLimiter smiles at me and lets me know that he forgot his wallet at his truck. He rides down 44h to Moody and back. Delay of game again. This time only 35 minutes. He gets back and we take off on Bonus Section 2 on the day. ~45 minutes later we connect to Pingre Park Road and ride over to Hwy 40. Instead of going left to Rustic, 602 adds in bonus section 3 on the day. Kelly Flats. By this time, the Klapped Trail Machine had been having its fair shair of troubles. My radiator cap is done. Lots of water was put through the bike yesterday. We finish Kelly flats quickly and head to Rustic for gas.

We quickly find our way over to Swamp Creek and begin this part of the challenge. Below the crux move, ReverendLimiter and I run into the lead group. I think GSL? Then right at the crux, we hit HellSickle and Shearboy. After a breif chat, we all go in our respective directions. We are about ~2 hours behind right now. Maybe those bonus sections we not such a good idea? Something about sticking to the script next time has been suggested to me. We finish Swamp Creek with no troubles and go to KillPecker. ReverendLimiter has a smashed chain guide that has pushed his chain off now and I have a blown radiator cap. This rides beats both rider and machine. We both know that we are getting tired, and have a long way to go. Anyone on here who knows me, knows I love to eat. Its 3:00PM and I have not eaten all day. Life is quickly going down hill for 602. After a quick discussion, we turn south instead of north at the KillPecker Trailhead. This was a great idea that saved the day for us. We headed back to Rustic and took no breaks. My energy was tanking, and I was approaching mentally handicap status. Bacon would have been real good right about now...

We got into Rustic and bought two bottles of water. WOW! Do they package miracles in this shit nowawdays? I feel 10X better. Down 14 and onto 63E we go. The final straw of bad news for the day strikes. As we roll into the Monument Gulch intersection, I am finding that shifting on my bike is real hard. Bike is super hot again. I go get some creek water and start putting it into the radiaors. It keeps drinking my water. WTF?! A quick visual inspection shows that water is leaking out of my head gasket. The Klapped Trail Machine was done for the day.

If all goes well, I might try this ride again this year. Couple of things that I learned:
1) A backpack is a must.
2) Starting at nearly 9:00 is not a good idea.
3) I am a gluton for punishment, and sometimes it hurts. I got home and sat on the couch eating all night then slept for 11 hours.
4) Props to Shearboy for coming up with this idea.

Sorry no pictures, the backpack also had my camera. :(
602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #86
silverboy
Bunny

Oddometer: 544
Sunday ride?

Anyone up for a ride today?
Just kidding!
I agree with 602, maybe bacon would help...
silverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #87
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer: 29,547
Major props to Shearboy for organizing (selling?) this leisurely ride idea - and riding 3/4 of the day without a rear brake.

AnnieGS screwed with this post 09-18-2011 at 10:17 AM
AnnieGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #88
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,755

I'll post pic's after the drugs have kicked in. For now, it's off to the gym for a grueling long nap in the hot tub and sauna.

At least there were no fatalities. That we know of....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudscrasher View Post
Wow. 9:20pm and no reports yet? Must've got home & passed-out. Can't blame y'all...this Challenge is brutal...Mark is a sick SOB
Passed out would be an understatement. It was all I could do to muster the energy to crawl up the stairs & go to bed... Only to be awoken with screaming leg cramps 2 hours later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSL View Post
Had a good ride yesterday. Thanks for the route idea! Sorry we didn't ride WITH you guys. Nile and I just got in a groove and things just seemed to flow. The rowdy section, uphill, in the rain, was not much fun. Smiles overall!
I was on track to catch you guys, until my 5-speed transmission turned into a 6-speed on Monument Gulch. Unfortunately, all of them were neutral. My masterlink came off and my chain lay on the ground 50' behind me.

HellSickle screwed with this post 09-18-2011 at 10:28 AM
HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #89
Pariahtize
Miscategorized

Oddometer: 1,158
Glad everyon's okay.

And yes, Shearboy rode at least 3/4 of this without a rear brake. . . .
Old 09-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #90
shearboy2004 OP
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,326
I agree with you Jeff , far too old for this shit !!

But I will be putting it up again next year although I have been told in no uncertain terms that I have to grantee the Rowdy section must be dry!!!

My God that was the shits ! I have never spent that long in there , I mean it is a bloody tough section in the dry but add water and it becomes completely stupid, kudos to the team I was with , there was no talk of quitting and we just slogged it out .

Cameron you are a hell of a guy to ride with !He was there everytime to help out and probably walked the Rowdy more than he rode helping Jeff and I over some of the snotty shit in there.

The record was broken but not by as much as I thought it would be , I'll wait for those guys to post up their times .

As for us , we added just about an hour to the record time .

I'll post more but am feeling like a half sucked Zube right now and spell check can't keep up with me .
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is online now   Reply With Quote