ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #91
shearboy2004 OP
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieGS View Post
Major props to Shearboy for organizing (selling?) this leisurely ride idea - and riding 3/4 of the day without a rear brake.
How is Ray after that nasty fall on Swamp Creek ? Fucking wet roots!
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .450 Sherco called Bling .
13 Sherco 300i called The Bee's Knees .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #92
GSL
Team Big Wheel

Oddometer: 1,739
I knew it had to be something like that. We really weren't riding that fast, just continuous. Sorry to hear about the chain issue.

I will say, when you're used to riding a 650 and then you borrow someone's 350, if felt a little bit like cheating, in the hard stuff (and I'm glad). Kudos to Mike for the loaner.

I think Nile and I finished in about 11 hours, 30 minutes. 6:50 am to 6:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I was on track to catch you guys, until my 5-speed transmission turned into a 6-speed on Monument Gulch. Unfortunately, all of them were neutral. My masterlink came off and my chain lay on the ground 50' behind me.
IBA #10979 - Member COHVCO - Member CMTRA - Lifetime Member Blue Ribbon Coalition - Member NMOHVA - Member NCTR
My picture site

GSL screwed with this post 09-18-2011 at 12:19 PM
GSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #93
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,071
Anyone that invites you to ride these trails in the rain is not your friend. I would rather spend a day doing forced laps on Spruce Gultch than ride up the backside of 926 in the mud again.

Silverboy and I rolled in at 10 hours, 25 minutes total time. More bike pushing and picking up than I have ever done on a ride in my life. F-ing brutal. Luckily my wife let me out of our mountainbike plans today so there's a chance I may be able to resume normal body function within a week.

Fantastic group. Thanks for a great ride Shearboy.
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #94
shearboy2004 OP
KIWIINUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieGS View Post
He said "something" popped back into place and his knee still hurts but is much improved.

He's also rubbing in the fact that today would have been the day (weather-wise, anyway) to run this marathon.
Good about the knee .

I think I will have to let memories fade a little before suggesting this ride again but i wouldn't mind another crack at it if things dry right out soon but just not today.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #95
WestNile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Left Moody at 6:50am just before everyone got going so that I could take my time getting up Donner and let everyone catch up with me. Halfway up or so, Will (GSL) catches me and I figured the rest of the group would be coming by soon. He and I plug our way up and over the top and with that end up pairing up for the day.
With so much hard trail to cover, our breaks were short and we just kept moving trying to keep a steady pace. After riding down the Rowdy Section with ease Will comments that he wishes he had ridden his 650. We get to Rustic and take a snack break and fill up the Camel back. Nobody shows up, so we take off for Seven mile and bounce our way up to the top. We found our way through the maze to the beginning of Swamp Creek and waste no time getting started. It's been drizzling on us on and off for most of this time and everything is a little wet. The crux of Swamp creek was slick, but we make it through though I as always took the wrong line through the tree roots and struggle to pick the bike up and get going again.
We bounce our way up the 517 trail and find Killpecker and head off. It seems we are covering ground with ease and before I know it we are at Deadman and ready for a lunch break. We hang out eating, chatting, and cooling down rapidly as the temperature was not very warm. Time to get moving again.
Heading back goes prety well. We run into everyone at the steps on Killpecker. With a short hello and making our way by each other, we are back in the groove and making good time on getting out. Then back to Swamp creek which seemed easier going this direction. Will starts to worry about gas, so begins to conserve by shutting off the bike on the downhills. We made it down Seven mile with little trouble and back to Rustic for another snack and a bit of gas.
I start to think that this is going really well and we should be able to get back in no time. I'm really tired, but feeling good and only slightly worried about heading up the Rowdy section because of it's reputation.
Jackets on for the road ride down, we haead off and take it easy on the highway. My arms are a bit pumped, so I try my best to shake them out and get some life back in on the easy road section. Back up Pingree and on to Monument which felt good and flowed nicely. This is starting to look pretty good.
We head up back toward the ranger station to start Donner. The lower section goes great, I had to walk my bike around the switchbacks, but managed not to drop it and get through. Now we are staring the beast in the eyes and I'm not feeling too good about what is to come.
The Rowdy Section! I've always ridden around this section on the way back so this would be my first try at it going uphill. Going downhill is no trouble at all and has always given me a false sense that it's not really that bad. Well it goes bad right out the gate. The rocks are greased up with mud and water and my rear wheel seems to have no traction at all. I get the front over each obstacle only to have the rear spin out and slide sideways dumping me over. After about the fiftieth time, I am completely worn down and can barley pick my bike up anymore. Will is having the same problems, but somehow muscling his way through and managing to keep the bike upright. I watch and envy his progress while I sit next to my bike laying on it's side. I curse everything and start debating turning around and heading back down to ride around. Will keeps encouraging me and helps me to get out of several jambs which is taking it's toll on him as well.

Video here http://youtu.be/Y01_utR0DTs

I managed to flip the bike off the trail after airdabbing on the low side of the hill and take a nice tumble into the trees below. The bike is a ways down off the trail and dragging it back up was a brutal feat. Somewhere in this mess I see Silverboy down below and gaining on us. I'm defeated and keep waiting for him to go by. But he keeps dissapearing and never seems to make any progress on me. This helps me in the fact that I at least know that I'm not the only one having epic difficulty on this.
A little further up I see two wheels sticking straight up in the air and Will has done the same thing and flipped over off some stupid rock. We get his bike back on trail and now I'm freaked out about doing the same thing once again. I swear that the first half of this section is flat and no trouble, but it never seems to show up. We are making progress in several feet increments and each time I look up it just keeps going.
I decided that I would get though with Will's help, but would not go on after it and hold things up any more. I figured I'd bail out at the road and skip the last section up over Donner. I say something about this to Will who politely shrugs it off. After hours of this, and one helpful ride up by Will, we find the top and spit out at the road.
We take a much needed break and Will shares some of his awesome homemade powerbar bread with me and somehow gets me to want to finish the whole thing. I'm beat down like never before, but I know this is the easy way up Donner and the countless times I've been on it make me feel that I can do it. Silverboy and Tumpco make it out of the hell from behind and chat with us briefly before taking off to make short work of the last bit of trail. We get going and follow behind.
Riding up Donner was going well for me. In fact it actually felt easy and a relief after the monumental effort getting up the Rowdy section. My bike kept overheating and blowing steam out everywhere, so I had to take several breaks to cool things down. I wasn't complaing about the default breaks. The top came right away and waisting no time, we began our final downhill. I made my way slowly down and did my best to keep the bike upright. I feared that I could not pick it back up if I dropped it. I picked my way through the tough sections and managed to keep things up and on two wheels. It was agonizing, but we made it down and out with only the final road and Moody hill to complete. I found a little reserve and managed to glide down the road with ease. I tried to keep the speed down because I didn't want anything to go bad at this point. I thought to myself if I get a flat tire, I'm gonna ride it flat back to the truck. I could tell the poor suspension on Will's bike was taking it's toll on him. Going down Moody was a blur and before I knew it I was back at the parking area. I think Will said something about it being 6:15pm and 11.15 hours. But I may be wrong on that, I was not comprehending much at that point.

Great ride, Will carried me through to the end and I owe him big time for that.
WestNile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #96
shearboy2004 OP
KIWIINUSA

Here are the guys checking out my fancy new thumb brake system .

Lesson for me , don't install new shit the night before a big ride !

The system itself worked well up until the old master cylinder that I had to swap in failed in the seals and all fluid disappeared leaving me with no rear brake at all for most of the ride .

Old 09-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #97
shearboy2004 OP
KIWIINUSA

Top of Donner on the way out , making great time and everyone feel great.

We picked up a straggler on the way through Monument Gulch and Jeff stuck with us the rest of the ride.

We completed the first part out to the end of Killpecker in fine time with no issues and plenty of stops for drinks chats and ciggies , no pressure just great riding , swapping leading and helping each other all the time , really fun stuff.
Ray had a nasty get off coming down a very wet Swamp Creek and banged himself up pretty well but rode on with us till we started back on Donner then elected to head out because his knee was shit .

Start of the Rowdy looks very innocent don't it?

I think this look from Cameron at the end of this says a lot .

Old 09-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #98
WestNile
Gnarly Adventurer

Start of Donner

Start of Rowdy Section, going down

First break at Rustic

Swamp Creek Cutoff, start
Old 09-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #99
WestNile
Gnarly Adventurer

somewhere on swampcreek or was it Killpecker? Dunno

Half way there, turnaround at Deadman. Lunch break and then back at it again.

Run into everyone on Killpecker step

Coming out of swampcreek

A little splash of gas at Rustic
Old 09-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #100
WestNile
Gnarly Adventurer

Will on the Donner switchbacks

Rowdy

My bike spent a lot of time laying down and resting

And a little time tree hugging

The off the bike method

Does this s%&# ever end?
Old 09-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #101
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,101
Let me get the whining out of the way first.

I can't remember ever having been this whipped after a ride. Going up the Rowdy section after a rain was far harder than any other trail I have ever done. This includes the Hell 'n Back rides, several MOARs, and Spruce Gulch. Difficulty was compounded by minimal time in the gym over the last 2 months, lack of sleep, and having recently spent three weeks at sea level.

"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

This was going to be the first time I had ridden my 300 in more than two months. The last time the bike had been ridden was by a friend when we were doing trail clearing on the 4th of July weekend. I should have gone over the bike more carefully. The first time I hit the front brake, I discovered the bent rotor. The 300 is going to be placed into dry dock for a long overdue maintenance regime.

At O'dark thirty, I swung by GSL's place and we pushed "The Loner" into my van. We were on schedule for a 7am departure when we parked at Moody Hill.

West Nile (aka sand bagger) had arrived early, having set his sights on getting the hole shot. I'm pretty sure that his intention was to sprinkle mud and grease over all of rocks and roots that had been washed off by a couple days of rain. GSL took off shortly after Nile, with the weak excuse of "I've never ridden this bike and need to get familiar with it".

I headed out by myself at 0700. I arrived at the Sheep Creek bridge to find Crash waiting for his team mates Shearboy and Pariahtize. I had expected to find GSL waiting for me by now. I chatted with Ray for 10 minutes or so and he shared James Giant Peach with me. Yum!
Back underway, I did Donner non-stop. No GSL at the summit, so I pressed on.

As I started up Monument Gulch, I thought I missed a shift when the engine suddenly revved. After stabbing at the shift lever a few times, I knew what I would find. No chain. Looking back, it was laying on the ground 50' behind me. It had spit out the master link. I laid the bike down and proceeded to dig thru my tools for a spare master link. For decades, I have carried two spares. All I could find was one of them, with only 1 o-ring present. After scouring the ground near the chain, I found one more O-ring. Using a bottle of 2-stroke oil and a pine needle, I lubed up the link before putting the clip into place.

I was just wrapping up when Crash, Shearboy, and Pariahtize showed up. Claiming Lost Boy status, I begged and pleaded into a slot with their group.

Knowing that the gas station at Rustic can often run out of fuel, we decided to top off on our way Out, rather than risking no gas on the way Back. After that, it was a quick run up 7-mile and into Swamp Creek.

The crux at Swamp Creek was the most slippery I had seen it in the 20+ years I have been riding here. I place the blame where it firmly belongs - with Nile and Will. The big rock slab you needed to climb was easily as slick as ice. You couldn't even walk up it.

We pushed pulled and dragged all 4 bikes thru, then proceeded onto the Root Garden, where more carnage ensued. Ray picked the perfect line & roosted through with nary a dab.

Cam thought he had destroyed his front brake when the caliper smacked into a rock. As it turns out, all he had done was push in the caliber pistons. After several lever pumps, the brake came back to life.

While waiting at the root garden, I took a few shots of flowery shit. It won't be long before the wilted remnants are buried under snow.

We were stopped at the bottom of Killpecker when Thumpco and Silverboy showed up. They brought the rain with them. It had been drizzling sporadically throughout the day. Now the rain began in earnest. Weather on top of Cameron pass looked dark and grim. By the end of the day, I was thinking that riding Green Ridge all day in the rain would have been a better idea than this retarded adventure.

At one point on Swamp Creek, Ray pulled up with a helmet full of soil and vegetative matter. That magnitude 6.5 earthquake I had felt was Ray hitting the ground after a root snake rudely yanked his front wheel out from under him. By the time we reached Rustic again, he was at a level 8 on the gimp scale. It was clear he wouldn't be finishing the ride.

When I went to park my bike at the Swamp Creek crux, I discovered a missing subframe bolt. The same bolt also held the top of the kickstand mounting bracket. I rummaged through my spare bolts and found something to stick in. This was definitely one of those days where I was glad I carried all of this extra crap with me.

By the time we got to the bottom of the Rowdy section, the weather had lifted. Unfortunately, the hygroscopic nature of tree roots assures that they will remain slippery for a couple of weeks after a rain. There was more pushing, pulling, dragging and bike spills than I've ever seen. I think this was Cameron's last ride on his rear knobby. It had plenty of tread, but wouldn't hook up on anything slick.

Video of Shearboy getting hung up.

Shearboy managed to fall over and slide backwards, ending up with a tree between his rear tire and fender, and another tree right in front of his headlight. Any fewer than three guys, and it would have been nearly impossible to extract his bike without cutting down a tree, or disassembling his bike. I missed that photo-op, but here's another Shearboy bike nap picture.

I took one bad spill. I had just launched the bike up a ledge. After a heroic air dab, the bike tipped and I was sent tumbling back down the rock pile. All three of us tipped at the same spot.

After popping out the top, Pariahtize did a personal celebration.

A tough trail like this makes normally hard trails seem like a highway. We all had an easy time getting up and over Donner. The evening shadows were getting long. I finally turned on my headlight for the last mile down Moody Hill.

Every muscle in my body ached at this point. When I got home, it was all I could do to keep my eyes open long enough to shovel some food down my throat, grab a shower, and crawl moaning into bed. It seemed like a good idea to have Paula rub some muscle cream onto my sore spots. That would have been from my ankles up to my chin. I loaded up on water and electrolytes to ward off the nighttime cramps.

It didn't work.

Two hours after going to bed, I swung my legs to the floor to head to the bathroom. My legs had different ideas. When the inside of one thigh decided to lock up in a burning cramp, the other leg decided to join in. I sat sprawled on the edge of the bed, bent over, while Paula fed me Tums and a muscle relaxant. While waiting for them to kick in, I sat propped in an awkward position that minimized the pain.

After 12 hours of sleep, and prescription coffee for breakfast, I'm feeling half human again.

I can't wait for next year.

HellSickle screwed with this post 09-19-2011 at 07:35 AM
HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #102
Raul Duke
DROC

Oddometer: 1,774
FANTASTIC! I love "death march" stories that end well!
I'm so bummed I missed it this year. Next year will be a "must".

Great work everyone!

COHVCO
TPA
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #103
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer: 29,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I sat sprawled on the edge of the bed, bent over, while Paula fed me Tums and a muscle relaxant. While waiting for them to kick in, I sat propped in an awkward position that minimized the pain.
Next time stir a teaspoon or so of salt into a glass of water and choke it down...it will perk up your intracellular sodium pumps much faster than Tums or Flexeril.
AnnieGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #104
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 5,026
EPIC!!!!!!!!! And you guys do this for fun right?
enduro-ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #105
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,468
you guys be...

NUCKING FUTS!! great report and pics tho!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote