User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
trainwreck OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Barn Find '05 1200GS

I may have scored a deal on a 2005 R1200 GS with about 8,000 miles on it. One of the reasons it's such a deal is that it's been sitting for three years. I have yet to see the bike so I haven't been able to assess it. I'm expecting it needs tires, batteries, brake fluid flush and change and an oil change.

My questions are:

What might I be missing?

What else might the engine and drivetrain need and how do you start a motor that's been sitting so long?

What should I look for that might make me thinks it's best to walk away?

thanks
trainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,988
new Gas before you even think of starting it

Tires no matter what they look like, beyond that give it a thorough looking over for sign of varmits. Mice etc can reek havok on an eletrical system
Old 04-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #3
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 10,359
You might want to know the history before you pass judgement.

Here would be my points of interest;

1- Clutch
2- Driveshaft
3- Why was it left to rot?
4- Does it leak?
5- Damage?

If you are going to investigate, I would demand to hear and see it run. If that's not possible, then it is parts fodder and should be bought accordingly.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:29 PM   #4
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 4,108
At 8000 miles it should be in really good shape. A visual inspection will indicate if it was abused

What you had listed is good.

In addition I would:

Change the fuel in the tank and pull each line off the injectors and pump fresh fuel thru. Cycle the Ignition switch to build pressure.

Change the engine oil and crank over with the upper plugs removed (stick coils disconnected, injectors unplugged) to get fresh oil thru the engine without having it start.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:33 PM   #5
lp6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I had an ABS pump go out and the mechanic stated one possible contributing factor to the failure was the bike sat too long before I bought it. It was a low mileage 2006. The new abs pump bill was over $3000. Maybe a concern.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:56 AM   #6
trainwreck OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
This is all very helpful. Many thanks.
trainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:07 AM   #7
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,625
If it's been sitting that long with gas in the tank and no fuel stabilizer, you're going to have gas varnish gumming up the fuel system. Bring a flashlight to inspect the inside of the tank. I'd also want to pull a fuel injector (very quick operation, but requires a torx driver -- T25, maybe?) and have a look at how gummed up that is. This is not necessarily a deal breaker, but cleaning it up could be a real pain.

Your worst case scenario is rodents chewing on the wiring harness, though. Those things are ridiculously expensive. Also pull the snorkel and air filter to check that there's no one nesting in the airbox.

Good luck!
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:08 AM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,717
2005 models suffered from main seal leak which develops around the 12K to 20K mile range. The bike needs to be split in half to replace the seal. This was a rampant problem and a well known issue for 2005 and early 2006 models.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:10 AM   #9
phreakingeek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
i got my dad's 1150gs that had been stored in his garage for a few years. I did the maintenance on it and put 10k miles on it last year. Unless it's all beat to hell, i bet you'll have a stellar bike with just a little work.

btw, beemerboneyard is your friend for a full maintenance kit for all the fluids, plus the odd tools needed to work on these bikes.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #10
Brahma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
1. Gas, all fluids and filters and plugs. If it starts and runs, put injector cleaner of your preferred flavor in the new gas for several tank fills.
2. Check the valves.
3. Tires.
4.. Battery for your own confidence.
5. Very possibly the gen belt.
6. Clean it thoroughly. This often exposes problems- leaks, cracks, possible long term storage issues, things that need addressing and bad farkle mods.
7. Go run it well but not hard for a couple hundred miles.
8. Change the oil and filter again.
9. Check for all possible recalls and address them.

Remember, you are rebooting and replenishing a very capable bike. Treat it as such and you will KNOW what you have.

Brahma screwed with this post 04-08-2015 at 07:38 AM
Brahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:47 AM   #11
danman
tumbling tumbleweed

Oddometer: 188
+1 on the recalls. I think there is a fuel pump recall (just done on my 2005) and a wheel flange recall. I would also change final drive fluid and brake fluid (all fluids really). Probably will be OK, and hopefully a great bike. Be careful in pushing the bike around the barn, there are no brakes on the 2005 (or very little at least) until the motor is started, it can be a big surprise otherwise. You will grab that front brake and it will keep moving. Its a 10 year old bike so check all the hoses and rubber for aging and cracks. And ride the heck out of it.
danman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:59 AM   #12
slowinfastout
Just Ridin' By....

Oddometer: 1,846
Man - you guys sure worry a lot. I buy a LOT of bikes that have been sitting for a long time without all this drama. Put some fresh gas in 'em and they usually fire right up once a new battery goes in the bike. Now, none of these looked this good when I got them, granted - but they were not hard to get streetable.

I found this Moto Guzzi that was sitting in a warehouse for 18 years untouched. It fired right up with very little effort.

This 1982 GPz 750 had not been running for 6 years. Fresh Gas, New Battery and off we went:

And this 2004 Ducati Multistrada was covered in leaves, mildew, and had a rotted seat from being outside under a tarp for 4 years. No problem getting it going, either.

Now here's my next project. I expect this one will take a bit more work and its several hundred miles away rotting out in the woods - have to go find time to fetch it up...lol

P.S. Trainwreck, if you pass on the '05 GS, tell us where its at and a contact person. I'm interested in buying it!
slowinfastout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:01 AM   #13
drdata
R1200GS

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjt94 View Post
The OP's bike has ABS-2. Even if it is faulty, it can be repaired for $300 by Module Master with a five year warranty. The new $3K unit from BMW only has a one year warranty.

Not true. Its I-abs, AKA servo assist. MM did rebuild them, for awhile, but for the last year or so they have had parts shortages. Also, I think they raised the price to more like 900, but NA given not available anyway.

As of today, says under development:

http://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/sho.../abs-fte-abs3/
Old 04-08-2015, 05:55 PM   #14
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowinfastout View Post

This 1982 GPz 750 had not been running for 6 years. Fresh Gas, New Battery and off we went:

Love it!

My first bike was a used 81 GPz550 that had just over 600 miles on the clock and had sat for many years when I bought it for cheap, took little effort and cash to make it very usable.
I liked it so much I bought a used 1984 GPz750 and then a new 1996 GPz1100abs, great bikes.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:01 PM   #15
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 10,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowinfastout View Post
Man - you guys sure worry a lot. I buy a LOT of bikes that have been sitting for a long time without all this drama. Put some fresh gas in 'em and they usually fire right up once a new battery goes in the bike. Now, none of these looked this good when I got them, granted - but they were not hard to get streetable.

I found this Moto Guzzi that was sitting in a warehouse for 18 years untouched. It fired right up with very little effort.

And this 2004 Ducati Multistrada was covered in leaves, mildew, and had a rotted seat from being outside under a tarp for 4 years. No problem getting it going, either.

Now here's my next project. I expect this one will take a bit more work and its several hundred miles away rotting out in the woods - have to go find time to fetch it up...lol

P.S. Trainwreck, if you pass on the '05 GS, tell us where its at and a contact person. I'm interested in buying it!
Seems as if you like red vehicles?