User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
Britome OP
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,144
New or Used Drive Shaft?

So my son's 2007 GSA with 75k had his drive shaft go out. It has been ridden hard so no complaints.

I've looked at all the replacement options for the yoke and U joint and have decided to get a complete assembly. First I found that the shaft i had ordered from BBY wouldn't fit since it was a 1200c shaft. They didn't have any others that would fit so I ordered a brand new shaft that was $905 shipped. Then, I stumbled upon the same shaft used (heh heh) out of a bike with 27k miles for $450.

Should I stick with the new one that is in the box unopened or pay the $21 to ship it back and buy the used one?
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
So my son's 2007 GSA with 75k had his drive shaft go out. It has been ridden hard so no complaints.

I've looked at all the replacement options for the yoke and U joint and have decided to get a complete assembly. First I found that the shaft i had ordered from BBY wouldn't fit since it was a 1200c shaft. They didn't have any others that would fit so I ordered a brand new shaft that was $905 shipped. Then, I stumbled upon the same shaft used (heh heh) out of a bike with 27k miles for $450.

Should I stick with the new one that is in the box unopened or pay the $21 to ship it back and buy the used one?
Since it's basically half price, I would take the risk and get the used one. 27k miles aren't a lot.
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
Britome OP
Get Free

Thanx for the first vote. The other thing to consider is with the new one it is covered under bmw warranty for 2 years
Old 12-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,825
Buy the used one, and if at all concerned send it to Bruno's Machine Shop in Ontario and have him replace both u-joints with greaseable ones. You'll then have a driveshaft that'll outlast the bike for less than the cost of the new non-greaseable one.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 10,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland44 View Post
Since it's basically half price, I would take the risk and get the used one. 27k miles aren't a lot.
Me too.

Remember, the used one can be rebuilt and saved for a rainy day.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Or, if you like the Green Bay Packers, send it to Machine Services in Greenbay and avoid some shipping costs.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
AndyM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Or, if you like the Green Bay Packers, send it to Machine Services in Greenbay and avoid some shipping costs.
And have it fail after less than 4000 miles. Stay far far away from Machine services.

Back to the original question of new or used? How much does your son ride a year? A new from the dealer driveshaft has a two year, unlimited mileage warranty. If your son rides ~10k a year I'd roll the dice and go with used. High mileage rider or planning a long ride or rally and I'd go with new.

MSI claims to stand behind their work but they don't. It fails and you're SOL.
Bruno has a great reputation for his work and if I were to have another one rebuilt I'd have him do it.

AndyM screwed with this post 12-02-2014 at 12:04 AM
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
And have it fail after less than 1000 miles. Stay far far away from Machine services.

Back to the original question of new or used? How much does your son ride a year? A new from the dealer driveshaft has a two year, unlimited mileage warranty. If your son rides ~10k a year I'd roll the dice and go with used. High mileage rider or planning a long ride or rally and I'd go with new.

Bruno has a great reputation for his work and if I were to have another one rebuilt I'd have him do it.
Andy, care to be a bit more specific? I have no experience with either Bruno or MSI but, if I need driveshaft service, I want the best. Details please.

Thanks.

def
Old 12-02-2014, 12:03 AM   #9
AndyM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Andy, care to be a bit more specific? I have no experience with either Bruno or MSI but, if I need driveshaft service, I want the best. Details please.

Thanks.

def

Back in May I had a driveshaft rebuilt by MSI. Just about 4k miles later (I've corrected where I said 1k) it failed, suddenly and catastrophically. When I contacted MSI Mitch told me that they stand behind their work and would make it right and would get back to me. This was after I sent him pictures.
He didn't get back to me.
Next time I was able to get hold of him he said they would refund me about half of what I had paid for the rebuild. Mind you they had rebuilt it a month and a half prior to it failing.
And that was the last I heard from them. Emails and phone calls not returned. No refund or any attempt to stand behind their work.

My write up and pictures are on this thread,

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=976608&page=9

post #'s 90, 94, 107, pictures start at post # 129.
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:10 AM   #10
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,825
When I had my '07 GSA's original u-joints replaced with 115k miles on the bike, I sent the driveshaft to Bruno after speaking with both him and with Mitch at MSI, and after reading here about a couple of failed jobs by MSI like AndyM's experience. Haven't read about any issues with Bruno's work, so it was worth the extra cost and turn time to me to get it done right. Sold the bike with 145k miles (and a good driveshaft).
Old 12-02-2014, 04:31 AM   #11
Britome OP
Get Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
And have it fail after less than 4000 miles. Stay far far away from Machine services.

At 21, My son has ridden more on a motorcycle than driven a car. We do a couple major trips a year. This year it will be the Blue Ridge Adventure Trail and the IDBDR in conjunction with other local rides. His bike is also his daily transportation. We did a rebuild on it a couple years ago and was featured on ADVRIDER as "Story of a totalled GSA"

Thanx for the perspectives thus far.

Britome screwed with this post 12-02-2014 at 06:47 AM
Old 12-02-2014, 06:51 AM   #12
Britome OP
Get Free

Crap! My memory doesn't serve me well or they raised the price. It is not $450 but $585. Hmmm.... you all had me convinced to go used but now that the delta is $300 considering shipping I'm wavering again.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:01 AM   #13
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,788
Just send it to Bruno and be done with it.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #14
Britome OP
Get Free

Actually, being done with it is keeping the new one I have in hand. That's what I'm doing. Thx for the help fellas
Old 12-03-2014, 04:34 AM   #15
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,307
Even with Brunos your still going to be pulling the whole setup to grease it way more often than you'd like if you put on any miles at all. Stock replacement new or used is the direction I'd suggest if you do 20k+ miles a yr.
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote