Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2005, 08:40 AM   #46
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,312
welcome tslapper, damn, studs, post some pics in motion! did you make those side racks? very sano but do they bother your leg? nice bike!
Old 04-01-2005, 08:45 AM   #47
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,228

The L tops my short-list for a 2nd bike, should I ever get one.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:57 AM   #48
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,248
Laugh

Thanks!
Yeah, I made the tail rack too. It's all bolted together but it's been 12 pack tested. In fact, a 12 pack of our local favorite was used to dimension the thing. You can guess my bike is the mule on outings. The side rack thing was an idea after I borrowed a friends MIG welder. Would do it a bit different if there was a next time. They don't bother my legs and there's lots of clearance for sit down style riding. I'm still looking for the panniers. Maybe some bags will do. Aerostich has some I like but costs some bucks. If I'm going out on single tracks or anywhere else that I might be playing hard, I'll definitely take them off. It's pretty quick to remove them, 4 bolts.

Wish I had pics of us on the ice this winter. We made a killer 1/8 mile track. Spent a some time sliding next to my XR thinking I could still save it. Here's some more pics of the thing if you want to waste some time. Next winter I'll get pics of us racing on the ice. I finally broke down and bought a digital camera. The ice is just too much fun. I'm 6'4" so I can put my knee into the side of the tank and hold the bike up sliding around corners. Damn thing's heavy.

You know, the funny thing is, I'm done with all out enduro riding because I'm 44 and this bike was supposed to make me slow down a little and maybe not take it places I shouldn't be going. That didn't really work out. Heavy but very capable and has gone everywhere my buddies DRZ400 has. Course I was close to a heart attack a couple times slogging around in the mud.

http://st-mainiacs.com/digi/viewer.php?albid=6&stage=1
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:44 AM   #49
minnjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
1. The Corbin seat. At first I was turned off on this idea, but it seems they will color-match it to your bike so it does not stick out like a sore thumb.

I have a '93 XRL with a Corbin on it. It doesn't stick out at all. It's a lot more comfortable than the stock seat, but it's slippery and slopes too much (for me) to the front. Not a bad thing on trails, but on road stretches, I have to keep repositioning myself to the rear. And it's HEAVY! If that weren't enough, I put a 4 gallon IMS tank on, and the front of the seat rubbed on the back of the tank. To resolve this, I drilled out rivets in the front of the seat to get at the base. I then removed enough of the base fiberglass with a Dremel tool to allow a non-interference fit. Not exactly plug'n'play!
If it sounds like I hate Corbin, I don't. I have one on my TDM, and on my V-strom, and have been very satisfied with those items.
Knowing what I know now, if I were in your position, I would seek out a Mayer, Russell or other solution. But not Sargent! (don't get me started....)
minnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:05 PM   #50
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
XRL Update III

The XRL now has 349 miles on it, with one oil change under it's tank. I'm tasking it out to the Mtns. this weekend for it's first camping trip since the rebuild. To Add my .02 to a few questions ask earlier, I submit the following.
TIRES: I like the Dunlop "Trailmax". I run mostly on rode and they grip well, and do two backs to one front usually.
SEAT: I have a Corbin & Love It!!! It is with out a doubt the BEST thing I have done to my XRL. Before, 100 miles and I was hurting in the Arse area, but the Corbin stopped all of that stuff!
LUGGAGE: I have a "Pro-Moto Billet" rear deck rack on mine, and like it very well. I also run the Ortlieb "Soft Dry Bag" Saddlebags. They work very-very well. I had to Fab a "U" shaped brace that bolts to the 2 exhaust mounting bolts, and fits under the side cover. It keeps the side cover OFF the Pipe!
I have the Clarke 4.7 and doing my "Saving Gas" type of riding, I usually get around 200 miles per tank without going to reserve yet. I use the 200 mi. mark as when I need gas.
All in All, I LOVE THIS THING! Dust city traffic, and rail through the corners !

Boojum!
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:47 PM   #51
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,248
Yeah, a Corbin is in the future. I've been using them for a long time on other bikes and they work well for me. I plan to take the beast up to Goose Bay (hoping next year) and i'll have one before that trip.

Good to know they will make them in other colors.
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #52
rookiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
a real hot Rallye XR from Honda France

here i post some pics from a friends XR from France.

He love the XR and i met him on a KTM in OZ in 1999. All the time he is sitting on a Honda.

Thats why he looked for this hot babe to do the canning with her and me and my KTM i will buy ( at the moment i ve no one:-( )

g day roo

rookiller screwed with this post 04-01-2005 at 11:17 PM
rookiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 04:51 PM   #53
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Oddometer: 2,316
Howdy All,

New around here, but lurk now and again lusting over other's bikes & adventures...

I have an XRL and like it fine. It fits the wallet, but ultimately I would love to have a smaller trail bike and a DL1k or GS for the long stuff.

I have the following:

WB E-Series pipe, Uni filter, Clarke 4.7 tank, Dual-Star heated grips, Moose Aluminum CR-Hi Bend, stock carb jetted (Keihin 58/165), drilled (5/32"), shimmed (.035"), XRs Only Oil Dipstick Thermo, hardwired GPS V/Touratech Mount, Acerbis handguards/spoilers, ProGrip 714 gel, Ken Sean DS folding mirror, 14t/48t Sunstars, dirt-bike-gear.com number and fender bags, IMS smog kit

Carb Mods http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/ if you haven't done this yet, you really MUST

Tires are currently: D606 front/ Kenda TrakMaster II rear
Off-raod they hook up great. On-road, the front is fine, but the howl off the rear is really obnoxious over 60. I will be going to a trailwing or something before any long road miles.

In the near future: dirtbagz or similar(ly inexpensive) luggage, tank panniers, windscreen, bar risers, maybe a Corbin seat & maybe highway pegs. I'm riding the Great Divide in July, so I need some more comfort. I'll probably also go back to stock gearing. I wish this stuff wasn't so expensive, cuz I want it all!

For info I like the XRLug YahooGroup, 4strokes.com, & thumpertalk.com

winterhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:44 PM   #54
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterhk
Howdy All,

New around here, but lurk now and again lusting over other's bikes & adventures...
Tires are currently: D606 front/ Kenda TrakMaster II rear
Off-raod they hook up great. On-road, the front is fine, but the howl off the rear is really obnoxious over 60. I will be going to a trailwing or something before any long road miles.
I had D606's front and rear. Got 5k on front, 2.5k on a rear. I put a TKC80 on front, and it makes a tremendous difference on the paved twisties. Braking is better. I have not tried dirt on it yet, I hope it sticks. I don't know what rear to get - MT21 (wear out fast?); A Kenda 270; Maxxis C6006; or another D606. Any advice?

But DO NOT GET A TRAILWING. There's a reason why they are called "Deathwings" on Thumpertalk and the other sites you mentioned.

murgatroid42 screwed with this post 08-02-2008 at 08:08 PM
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:25 PM   #55
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,312
winterhk, looks like you have the perfect bike for northern AZ, nice XR!
Old 04-05-2005, 02:34 AM   #56
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
I don't know what rear to get - MT21 (wear out fast?); A Kenda 270; Maxxis C6006; or another D606. Any advice?

But DO NOT GET A TRAILWING. There's a reason why they are called "Deathwings" on Thumpertalk and the other sites you mentioned.
Murg,

Thanks for the welcome!

I have a deathwing that I used for quite some miles and kinda liked actually. It is wearing very well too. It's slides on dirt were very predictable. I haven't put it back on since getting the Kenda, but I may for long road sections.

I have heard that either the MT21 or the 606 rear tosses lugs at temp on the road... be careful. I think, aside from the road howl, the Kenda is the way to go. It is super-aggressive and really cheap online.

B
Old 04-05-2005, 02:36 AM   #57
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile
winterhk, looks like you have the perfect bike for northern AZ, nice XR!
Grassy-ass amigo... I love it. My ZX9R is lonely and building resentment by the minute as it's been so warm here.

B
Old 04-05-2005, 12:29 PM   #58
deerslayR
Spodely Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
Welcome to the Asylum. Lots of good folks and advice around here, just be careful if you dip into the waters of Jo Momma.

I had D606's front and rear. Got 5k on front, 2.5k on a rear. I put a TKC80 on front, and it makes a tremendous difference on the paved twisties. Braking is better. I have not tried dirt on it yet, I hope it sticks. I don't know what rear to get - MT21 (wear out fast?); A Kenda 270; Maxxis C6006; or another D606. Any advice?

Put the D606 on that bike. 16lb/sq.in. in the dirt(make sure you use rim locks) and 22-26lb/sq.in. on the road. You'll be lovin' it.
"Hums" a bit over 60 mph, but lasts 4-5 k miles and actually works in the wet
if you ride "reasonably".
Don't know why you only got 2.5k on the rear. Inflation on the road is essential IMHO. I ride VERY conservatively on the pavement, but let it go in the dirt. MT21's wear too fast. 270's are scarey(to me) on pavement. No experience with the Maxxis.
Advice on the trailwing is correct. I'd sooner put Avon Gripsters on my bike. At least they don't come with unannounced "surprises".

deerslayR

TCSMC: teamhammer.org

"I'm a choker!" ask me how

"They're ALL dirt bikes.....some work better than others"-----Harley Huey
deerslayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:21 PM   #59
Nocturnal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag

2. Front brake upgrades. It seems to me that if they offier super-motard upgrades for the XR600, there should be something out there for the XR650L, right? The standard front brake is a little lame (esp. compared to sport bikes), and I would be really interested in hearing what others may have done (e.g., braided brake lines, pad upgrades, etc.).
Part of the problem is the brake line. A stainless steel line stiffens it up quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas.K.Findlay through crooked roads
well old motor we are leaving here on a long jump again
Nocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:19 PM   #60
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayR
Put the D606 on that bike. 16lb/sq.in. in the dirt(make sure you use rim locks) and 22-26lb/sq.in. on the road. You'll be lovin' it.
"Hums" a bit over 60 mph, but lasts 4-5 k miles and actually works in the wet
if you ride "reasonably".
Don't know why you only got 2.5k on the rear. Inflation on the road is essential IMHO. I ride VERY conservatively on the pavement, but let it go in the dirt. MT21's wear too fast. 270's are scarey(to me) on pavement. No experience with the Maxxis.
From what I've read, and what others have told me, 2.5k on a rear D606 is good. They DO wear very fast when chasing those BMW's on the twisty pavement through Poudre Canyon at 30+ over the limit...
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote