Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
BikeWraith OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
2014 F700GS Wobble

Hi all,

Yes I've done a search and seen some info on the F800GS wobble (tires, pre-load, fork installation) but am looking for any experiences/resolution with this problem on the F700GS.

I just got back from a 4500KM loop through Yellowstone - it was a blast! ... even though the weather didn't cooperate. Glacier National Park is just stunning and the roads around Mt. St Helens will become a yearly destination for me.

Anyways.....

My friend was riding a new F700GS. She's quite small say 5'1" 100lbs. The bike is factory lowered. She had panniers on the bike and a tail bag.

The bike would wobble starting at about 75 mph (120km/h) and continue through say 85 mph where it would ease off.

I tried the bike and it was solid as a rock at all speeds. Presumably my weight (230lbs) either dampened the effect or changed the suspension geometry.

We took all pre-load out for her and it made a positive difference though made for an uncomfortable ride of course and so put some back in.

Obviously it will go to the dealer but I don't have much faith in dealership service departments. Has anyone had experience with a wobble on the F700GS?
For the F800 some say the forks can be installed to high. Hers were installed flush with the steering head - is this correct?

Any info/experiences would be appreciated.

thanks!

BikeWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,294
Well, not on the F7 but I did on my R12. Overloaded bikes get wonky...as do tires that are really poorly flatspotted/worn. Add to it large hard bags (*on my GS) and it would go into a death weave over 85.

My thought: strip the luggage off, go light on the bike, take it for another ride. If that doesn't work, check the tires/pressure.

Evaluate from there.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 2,301
Steering damper
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #4
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Haven't had any issues with the wifeys bike in standard trim. A lowered one I imagine would be mostly acheived by dropping the rear and adding to the trail and rake which should slow down and stabilise the front end more so than a standard bike.

Balance the wheels, check rear wheel is aligned, if not could be a crook tyre.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:45 PM   #5
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,436
Have her try removing her left hand from the handlebars. Decent chance the wobble goes away instantly.
Bikes are usually a LOT more stable than their operators.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Setting rear sag very important ... should use up about 1/3" of total travel, if sag is much more than that you will get the weave....

Her being light weight ... front springs might be a bit on the stiff side ...
Move as much weight as you can towards the front of the bike...
Heavy stuff in front of panniers ... etc...

I had a slight "weave" at high speed on my F650GS twin when fully loaded even with correct rear sag and raising the front tubes in the triple tree by about 10mm (projection from top clamp) fixed things up.

Other thing to check is adjustment of headset bearing preload.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
tomman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
+1

When I first got my F800 GSA I had initially backed out preload almost all the way (because I'm short) & with the aluminum side cases a bit loaded I got a bit of weave at ~70-75mph. As I have grown more confident on the bike and added preload back to the rear (even with a passenger and adding lots of corresponding preload) I no longer get the weave. Stiffening up the rear suspension made the bike more stable on the road at speed. Good luck!

- T -

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Setting rear sag very important ... should use up about 1/3" of total travel, if sag is much more than that you will get the weave....

I had a slight "weave" at high speed on my F650GS twin when fully loaded even with correct rear sag and raising the front tubes in the triple tree by about 10mm (projection from top clamp) fixed things up.

tomman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #8
K7TNT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
My F 700 is solid at any speed up to 100 mph easy. I have the Touratech one inch lowering springs. It came with Anakee 3s. I'm 5'4" at 155#. I love this bike and came off of a 04 r1150rt.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post

This is the answer...
Old 08-15-2014, 07:11 AM   #10
Pete7874
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rharrod View Post
It came with Anakee 3s.
Supposedly Michelin designed Anakee 3 specifically to address this high speed weaving that the OP's friend is experiencing...

Old 08-15-2014, 09:10 AM   #11
BikeWraith OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
Supposedly Michelin designed Anakee 3 specifically to address this high speed weaving that the OP's friend is experiencing...
Yikes!!

Her bike does what the bike in the video does but not as violently.

Her bike has Conti Trail Attack 2's .... I think she's going to chat with BMW shortly so we'll see what they say but I'm thinking its a setup problem as many have stated in this thread....
BikeWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #12
Pete7874
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeWraith View Post
but I'm thinking its a setup problem as many have stated in this thread....
I agree. Fix the setup and you won't have to rely on new tires in hopes of fixing it for you. I'm guessing there is only so much a tire like Anakee 3 can help.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #13
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
Soooo, a very expensive commercial addressing an issue which is mostly non tire related and they don't tell you how they achieved the result? Interesting.

The guy was weaving so bad he knocked the colour out of the video!

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #14
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,460
Laugh

two items to check.... a correctly aligned rear axle. And heavy loaded boxes on the bike (where most of the weight is behind the read axle) can make the front end light and wiggly.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #15
toooldtocare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
In my years riding (48) I've had bikes weave, but none that I could not fix by starting at the front and working to the back to correct everything like steering head bearings, tire pressures, all the other things already mentioned.

I have the same bike, although I am a bit heavier (155). I have also ridden my 700 at rather elevated speeds (100 plus) several times on curvy back roads with the stock Bridgestone tires and never have experience any weaving. It does feel a bit light, but no weaving.

The bike has stock bags fully loaded, with a tank bag. Start at the front and work back, and I bet you can find your problem.
toooldtocare is offline   Reply With Quote