User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
f800kris OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Leaning tower of f800gs

Picked up my second f800gs last weekend. Its a 2009, my last was a 2008. Anyway, the lean to the bike when in the kick stand is way to much! In reading Ive found its do to bending, or worn out bushings. This bike has less then 5k miles. Kind of crappy if you ask me.

So, I called the dealer and its not covered under any warrenty/recall and I have to pay for it.

Is there another source for them besides the dealer who wants to make money on me buying parts from them that built the bike with subpar parts?

Thx
f800kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by f800kris View Post
Picked up my second f800gs last weekend. Its a 2009, my last was a 2008. Anyway, the lean to the bike when in the kick stand is way to much! In reading Ive found its do to bending, or worn out bushings. This bike has less then 5k miles. Kind of crappy if you ask me.

So, I called the dealer and its not covered under any warrenty/recall and I have to pay for it.

Is there another source for them besides the dealer who wants to make money on me buying parts from them that built the bike with subpar parts?

Thx
They all do that There, I said it first. If the bike has been parked for a long time, it's probable that it wasn't stored properly, or that a lot of weight was placed on top of it. Any noticeable damage on the stand? I can see bushings being a part of the problem, but it sounds a bit odd to me.
sarathmenon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Well if you have two GSs compare the angle, and if that's not off pull the spring, place the culprit on the center stand and wiggle it, if there is a lot of play it may be the bushings. Both of these are not common failures in a lightly used bike with only 5k miles. Something occurred at some point. If the bracket is bent or the kick stand is damaged, did you buy it as is? Did they disclose the damage? You may have a case for small claims court if they don't want to fix/replace it and they did not disclose any defects. I understand the dilemma of buying something only to find out it is damaged. It is very frustrating. Keep your wits about you and see what the issue is and then see what the dealer says. If they sold you a damaged bike that wasn't disclosed you usually have a case in court. But before you get to this point let them know. Pissed off customers never help.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
f800kris OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I should have been more clear. This is my second f800gs, I do not own both of them right now or I would compare.

I also bought it from a individual not the dealer. Very nice bike and very nice previous owner, Just saying that after reading it seems that its happened to several people and is in the common f800gs problems section.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496222

Once I get off work Ill do some digging and see if I can find somewhere to buy parts.
f800kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,581
My 2009 leaned horribly. Then I fitted new suspension and it leaned at a stupid angle. I ended up cutting the foot off the side stand and inserting about 40mm, which brings it back to about the same angle as a new bike. Compared visually standing side by side at the dealers.

I tightened up the pivot bush when I did it, but I think it's wearing because it's getting more lean over time.

Interestingly, even with more ground clearance than standard, I'm scraping the side stand on the ground a lot, and it's wearing at the point where the kink in the stand is. I think it's only a matter of time before it fails completely.

I have some recovery time coming up, so I can take care of all the little things then. Engineering a new stand from scratch is on the cards.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:00 AM   #6
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
There was a "design enhancement" made to the kick stand in (IIRC) late 2010 or so ...

They beefed up the pivot bolt and changed some details of the bracket.

A riding buddy of mine, being short of stature, used to mount his 2009 by standing on the left-side peg then throwing his leg over the bike.... be bent the shit out of his.... compared to mine his list-angle was huge.

There's a thread on it here somewhere..... He got his replaced, I was unable to get them to do mine ...

AFAIK there was never a recall or anything ... just that some dealers noticed the beefed up parts, and when they ordered a warranty replacement it was the improved design....

JRWooden screwed with this post 02-08-2014 at 06:11 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:15 AM   #7
The Island
Im lost.

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
There was a "design enhancement" made to the kick stand in (IIRC) late 2010 or so ...

They beefed up the pivot bolt and changed some details of the bracket.

A riding buddy of mine, being short of stature, used to mount his 2009 by standing on the left-side peg then throwing his leg over the bike.... be bent the shit out of his.... compared to mine his list-angle was huge.
Crap, I get on my '13 like this and I am not short. Have only had the bike for 15,000KM so far. I can't imagine getting my leg over WITHOUT doing that, haha.
The Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
Hopefully you are fine - the 2013 has the better designed unit for sure ...
I just can't remember the cut-over date ...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
The Island
Im lost.

Oddometer: 216
Yep. Just tried going for a ride and getting on without the use of the foot pegs, but yep - I looked like a total dork. I need to do some squats/gymnastics to get my leg over.
The Island is offline   Reply With Quote