Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
Lager Meister OP
Work less, ride more

Oddometer: 154
F800GS - Which exhaust with Holan balanced panniers?

If everything goes according to plan, I'll be riding home on a new 2010 F800GS tomorrow.

I definitely want a balanced pannier setup on this bike which means the stock exhaust can's gotta go in favor of a narrower aftermarket can. I've pretty much decided on the Holan racks and panniers, but not sure about the exhaust. The Metal Mule setup looks great, but it's outside my price range. Holan USA sells a kit with the balanced pannier rack, matched panniers and a Twalcom can. I have nothing against Twalcom and in the end I may go with it, but before I lay out the cash I'd like to figure out what other exhaust options are compatible with the Holan kit.

So who's got the Holan balanced panniers and which aftermarket exhaust are you using?

Thanks much.

Update: I now have the Metal Mule exhaust installed with the Holan balanced rack. I'll update this first post as various exhausts are confirmed as either compatible or incompatible so that the information is more easily accessible. Please include a picture or two of your installed exhaust and rack. Feel free to include a tape measure in your pictures for extra credit.

If you don't have the Holan balanced rack and have no plans to get one, but would like to contribute measurements of your installed exhaust in the interest of helping others, please do. Be sure to include a picture or two with a tape measure clearly showing the distance from the centerline of the bike to the outer edge of the exhaust. A picture of the front part of the muffler taken with the camera pointing straight down from above the passenger foot peg may also be helpful in evaluating potential compatibility. Thanks!

The following exhausts are definitely compatible. All have been test fitted.

Exhaust systemTest fit by
Metal MuleLager Meister
TwalcomF800 Rob
Remus HexaconeTX Medic
Two Brotherstrail90man
Leo Vince (some modification or tweaking required)Bartron
MiVV Suonowizze
Beowulf ovalK Dub

The following are possibly compatible based on measurements. Test fit is pending.

Exhaust systemPending test fit by
ZTechnik?

The following are not compatible, either based on measurements, manufacturer recommendation, or test fit.

Exhaust systemTest fit / confirmed by
StockHolan
Akrapovic?
??

Lager Meister screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 06:34 PM Reason: Updates
Lager Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
TX Medic
So many fires, so little?

Oddometer: 230
i am going to try it with the remus but not test fit yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lager Meister
If everything goes according to plan, I'll be riding home on a new 2010 F800GS tomorrow.

I definitely want a balanced pannier setup on this bike which means the stock exhaust can's gotta go in favor of a narrower aftermarket can. I've pretty much decided on the Holan racks and panniers, but not sure about the exhaust. The Metal Mule setup looks great, but it's outside my price range. Holan USA sells a kit with the balanced pannier rack, matched panniers and a Twalcom can. I have nothing against Twalcom and in the end I may go with it, but before I lay out the cash I'd like to figure out what other exhaust options are compatible with the Holan kit.

So who's got the Holan balanced panniers and which aftermarket exhaust are you using?

Thanks much.

"Bravery is the capacity to preform properly even when scared half to death"---General Omar Bradley

TX Medic screwed with this post 01-03-2010 at 09:44 AM
TX Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 693
Beowulf have been lauded as being pretty slim, can anyone confirm if slim enough?

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:58 PM   #4
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,642
Beowulf oval can is about 7.5 inches from the outside to the grab handle bolt (center). Aprox 8 inches from outside to rear attachment bolt center.
Will post a pic later.

Hope this helps

If you don't want the piss taken, stop giving it away!

Chop Chop screwed with this post 12-28-2009 at 12:49 AM
Chop Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

Oddometer: 1,052
I can confirm the Remus Hexacone will not work.

The Beowulf may work along with the LeoVince, and ZTechnik. As of right now, the only exhaust we can certify it to work with is the Twalcom setup. The biggest issues are actually the clearance around the very beginning of the can, and around the mounts for the panniers -- especially considering the exhausts are not solid mounted and there needs to be at least 1/2" on either side of the can.

I'll see if I can get measurements and pictures shortly. The system is now available without the purchase of an exhaust from Holan USA.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:34 AM   #6
argee
freed speaker

Oddometer: 43
boewolf ti oval stubby on my chariot is pretty tiny, smallest i've seen. smoothes out the throttle and save a shedload of weight too....
Old 01-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
Lager Meister OP
Work less, ride more

Oddometer: 154
Thanks for the input everyone. Rob, do you guys have any plans to test-fit the rack system with any other exhausts? I'm mostly interested in the LeoVince at this point since the Remus is confirmed as incompatible. Thanks.
Lager Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,776
I can measure the Leo Vince if that will help.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #9
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

I'm nearly certain that the LV will fit. John, if you can provide measurements, I can confirm.

Specifically I need some information about clearance near the rear footpeg mount and guard as that is tight, and how far out it sticks to the left of the bodywork.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
TX Medic

not to be a nit picker

but i was looking on the holan website and this exhaust looks about the same size and the remus and was wandering if this is acutally the balanced set or not. thank for the time

"Bravery is the capacity to preform properly even when scared half to death"---General Omar Bradley
Old 01-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #11
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,472
Looks like a balanced set to me...
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #12
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

That is the balanced set with a Metal Mule Exhaust.

As stated previously, we've been told that it will not fit with the Remus Hexacone. If you would like to order a set, and give it a shot, you are most welcome to. Beyond that, I'm sorry, but I can't be of further assistance.

I can provide assistance in clearing other exhausts with the rack though...
Old 01-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #13
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,776
I don't know if this helps. I can take more.
Measured from center of the bike.

johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #14
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

That's actually perfect John.

The racks + mounts for any panniers are exactly 10.5" out from the center of the motorcycle. Give a little bit for sway (as some exhausts are not securely mounted) and you have 10" total that the exhaust can extend from the center of the motorcycle and still work with these racks.

On a related note, my pictures didn't come out that well because my hands were shaking it's so cold here in Pittsburgh. :(

F800 Rob screwed with this post 01-03-2010 at 10:49 PM Reason: SHOULD READ 10.5" -- NOT 11.5" as origionally noted!
F800 Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #15
TX Medic

could you tell me the inch's on the none balanced pannierson the left side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F800 Rob
That's actually perfect John.

The racks + mounts for any panniers are exactly 11.5" out from the center of the motorcycle. Give a little bit for sway (as some exhausts are not securely mounted) and you have 10" total that the exhaust can extend from the center of the motorcycle and still work with these racks.

On a related note, my pictures didn't come out that well because my hands were shaking it's so cold here in Pittsburgh. :(