User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #16
CptImagine
NCC-1701-B

Oddometer: 124
Maybe work on the front

But I think on the rear, you will need to break FD/SA . The FD casting, is engaged into the SA an inch and a half or so . So the ujoint is encased in the castings . If you slide the SA back, it'll take the connected FD back with it That will pull the DS off the input shaft of the FD . Then I doubt, you'll be able to engage the DS onto the FD input with the SW/FD attached . It's a bit of a pain with FD/SA parted . I've had these miserable little bearing apart and back together a couple times . There seems to be a very lite index in the outside one now . I'm reassembling it and will get a DS . The DS will be replaced inside a month down in Texas before heading into Mexico . I believe you have the import version, please continue this string til you can answer the accessability of the DS grease fittings . Thanks
CptImagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #17
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,978
Ctp, the only two aftermarket DS's I know of are the Emerald Isle one, available through Ted Porter and probably some other places. The other one is the HPM Guy one, and both are pretty similar except for the way the two halves of the shaft join, and provide a little cushion.
Guy uses a solid urethane with some elastometric characteristics and Emerald uses the suppository looking things and circlip to hold the halves together.

Emerald Isle uses different density lozenges, and Guy uses different hardness urethane to achieve some measure of cush drive.

Both use replaceable, greasable cardans held in with circlips in the yokes. With Guy's shaft, one must remove the zerks after greasing and install a scrub screw... there isnt room to keep the zerk there and still rotate. I forget if this is the case on the Emerald.

That would probably preclude anything but shaft removable for re-greasing, on the HPM unit.

I have only heard of one or two failures on either shaft, both with Guys and both because of faulty urethane curing. The issue has been all but eliminated, to my knowledge.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #18
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,903
I just had a look through my bits and the Emerald unit comes with a grease packet, zerk fitting and an allen key to remove the grub screw. How you put about one tablespoon of grease into a grease gun and use it, is anyone's guess.

You're right on the final drive casting being up inside the swing arm and therefore being unable to access the rear u-joint without disassembly. I'll start looking through my spares for some replacement FD bearings, before I go in.

So there are documented failures on the Emerald units? What part failed and how long was the shaft in service?
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #19
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

no, no emerald failures that i know of. Even that contention that the big circlip holding the halves together being a dubious design hasnt proven negative, yet.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #20
CptImagine
NCC-1701-B

Thanks guys

Stagehand I believe the Emerald Isle version is the one I'll get . You've answered all my question in that post . jackd, I service and reused those FD bearings in the same unit . I have not removed them from one unit and put them into another . Sorry if I confused that earlier .
Old 12-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #21
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

I forgot to mention that Guy's unit uses a stock shaft, in fact, you could send him a core. Pretty sure thats what I did. I have both kinds. I loaned the HPM's to a friend when his stocker blew up earlier this summer, and I have been running the Emerald for a year or two, now.

I even forget the prices, now, but I'm pretty sure both are cheaper than stock. I like HPM's because he is good guy, American business, inmate here, etc and not least he does world class work.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #22
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,308
There is a slightly used OEM driveshaft available there if anyone needs one:

http://marketplace.ibmwr.org/ads/raps

Just checked on the newer price of them pivot bearings. Me don't like, scratched that off my list of spares for now.Same bearings on ALL the BMW Paralevers.

I know where most, if not all them bulletins are. Mr. Jackd did you dig out the GSs out of there?

OK...anyone wants the link, I won't post it here. PM me....but I am pretty busy, don't swamp me...! Would much rather send it to someone with more time who could dig out the relevant bulletins and pass them around. Copyrighted material it is.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #23
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by bereahorn View Post

You are so cute you know that
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #24
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
There is a slightly used OEM driveshaft available there if anyone needs one:

http://marketplace.ibmwr.org/ads/raps

Just checked on the newer price of them pivot bearings. Me don't like, scratched that off my list of spares for now.Same bearings on ALL the BMW Paralevers.

I know where most, if not all them bulletins are. Mr. Jackd did you dig out the GSs out of there?

OK...anyone wants the link, I won't post it here. PM me....but I am pretty busy, don't swamp me...! Would much rather send it to someone with more time who could dig out the relevant bulletins and pass them around. Copyrighted material it is.
H96669 - I pulled off what I thought was relevant but then things got real busy here (moved to VI, life style changes, etc.) and then my computer blew up. So all the info from the link was on the old hard drive. I'll check back in my pm's to see if I can find the link there.

I've also removed those bearings and serviced them over the years. That said I've probably mixed and matched them with different inner and outer races as well and have had success. Someone on the forum gave BMW Tech info awhile back that stated you shouldn't do that, because the manufacturing clearances are so critical. Personally I think the bearings are under-sized strength wise for what they have to do - in other words they're shit... I just tend to leave them alone for fear that they'll disintegrate by just looking at them.

Oh yes, Bereahorn has been doing that for a couple of years now whenever I post. Thankfully he lives back east or he'd be stalking me in my neighbourhood.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #25
CptImagine
NCC-1701-B

Guy is the guy

Stagehand, I rcieved a email reply back from Guy at Hendersen . 3 week turn around, using my shaft, $450. with return shipping and he's an American bussiness man . I'm mailing it tomorrow . Thanks for the input, I'm planning to find out from him as well what for grease to use it the u-joints . I'll post that here then .
Old 12-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #26
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 2,996

mine
disintegrated....

I
looked.....
Old 12-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #27
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by camgregus View Post

mine
disintegrated....

I
looked.....

What does that mean? Did you get one of the ones that the urethane didnt cure correctly?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #28
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,284
If I remember right, the ones that had the urethane disintegrate also had leaky output shaft seals and had gear oil on them? Did anyone ever look into whether the gear oil may have degraded the urethane or was this just an issue of inadequate mixing/portioning of the two urethane components?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #29
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
If I remember right, the ones that had the urethane disintegrate also had leaky output shaft seals and had gear oil on them? Did anyone ever look into whether the gear oil may have degraded the urethane or was this just an issue of inadequate mixing/portioning of the two urethane components?

I had heard it was simply a few shafts that got mixed wrong. If it was gear oil, mine would have blown
Old 12-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #30
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by camgregus View Post

mine
disintegrated....

I
looked.....

I think that he's referring to the FD bearings not the drive shaft. I had one of mine fail suddenly on one not-so-spirited ride - when I first got the bike. The bike suddenly seemed to have a much more squishy handling to it - if that's a way to put it. There was no prior warning as I did a daily pre-ride check in this area less than an hour previous. I use a torque wrench when I put them in everytime. The flimsy plastic bearing cage is the weakest spot in the design.