Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #16
TheVikingRider OP
mudonmymind

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkSlayer View Post
I'm wide awake, thank you, and plenty wise to the ways of collegiate athletics. My daughter was the starting center defensive back in a NCAA D-1 varsity soccer program at a major Big Ten university. Her experience was invaluable - for all of the right reasons - and the world-class education she received during those four years is paying off rather well for her in medical school, where she is currently - preparing to become a heart surgeon. Please don't tell me what college athetics is and is not, sir. For every Cam Newton, there are thousands of hard-working collegiate athletes who bust their tails on and off the field of play, AND in the classroom, preparing themselves for a better future - the old fashioned way. Those are the real heros of college sports.
The $ generated by players like Cam make it possible for players like your daughter to have a field to play on and equipment to use. Womens soccer dosent even generate enough $ to pay for their own programs.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #17
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,994
Quote:
The truth is...I am neither.

My beef with Newton is the way he handled himself during the "pay for play" scandal involving his idiot father.

(snip)

I'm from the old school that still believes college sports is about shaping young men and women, developing character and providing valuable life lessons. To Cam Newton, it was little more than the fastlane to payday. Just my observation.
Two words - prove it.

And then I'll be happy to join you! So far, from every account, Cam took the opportunity presented to him at the jr.college level and at Auburn and made the best of it.

Have you ever seen anyone who handled the pressure thrown at him as well as he did last year? To win at that level in the face of that kind of pressure was a better test that the Cardinal's defensive line yesterday.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #18
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
Cool. An indignant post about football scandal from the land of Ohio State.
Fuck Ohio State....and Woody Hayes and Tassel Tattoo Tressel.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #19
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVikingRider View Post
People are always quick to blame it on 20 year old kids.

The schools, recruiters, and the media are the ones who should be ashamed. They fuel all of this bs.

Even if his pop did what they said he did , how is it Cams fault? With all the pressure he did great. Did nothing but win.

The situation definitely "developed character and provided valuable life lessons"

The NCAA and boosters made him buy a stolen laptop? How about turning in a paper that wasn't his? His year at Auburn wasn't his complete college career. There's a reason he left UF without a fight...
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #20
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
I'm wide awake, thank you, and plenty wise to the ways of collegiate athletics. My daughter was the starting center defensive back in a NCAA D-1 varsity soccer program at a major Big Ten university. Her experience was invaluable - for all of the right reasons - and the world-class education she received during those four years is paying off rather well for her in medical school, where she is currently - preparing to become a heart surgeon. Please don't tell me what college athetics is and is not, sir. For every Cam Newton, there are thousands of hard-working collegiate athletes who bust their tails on and off the field of play, AND in the classroom, preparing themselves for a better future - the old fashioned way. Those are the real heros of college sports.
So? What's your point? I had a classmate and friend at Auburn who played middle linebacker, went on to play a bit with the Steelers and is now a orthopedic surgeon.

While your daughter has given you every reason to be proud, she's not the only one to be a successful student-athletes. You sound more than a little jealous and bitter.

Name one thing that Cam did wrong at Auburn and provide more than a link to back it up. That might be proven some day - but again, right now, all you hve are allegations by a Miss State guy who had more to gain by making the allegations.

Oh - and Auburn beat Miss State again this past weekend.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #21
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwells7 View Post

The NCAA and boosters made him buy a stolen laptop? How about turning in a paper that wasn't his? His year at Auburn wasn't his complete college career. There's a reason he left UF without a fight...
So that event defines a person? It seems that it was a turning point in his life and he's made the most of it. Do you disagree?
Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #22
BarkSlayer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Fuck Ohio State....and Woody Hayes and Tassel Tattoo Tressel.
Nice job. That's pretty much on par with the class I expected from this group.

Let there be no misunderstanding...

1. Cam Newton is a talented young football player with a bright future in professional sports.
2. More than one credible source claims he participated in the scandal.
3. There's no shortage of corruption in big business...including the NCAA.
4. Collegiate women's soccer is indeed a loser - financially.
5. Years from now, when you're laying there in a hospital bed dying from coronary disease...I encourage you to call Cam Newton.

"If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective." Ted Nugent

BarkSlayer screwed with this post 09-12-2011 at 12:51 PM
BarkSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #23
TheVikingRider OP
mudonmymind

Quote:
Two words - prove it.

And then I'll be happy to join you! So far, from every account, Cam took the opportunity presented to him at the jr.college level and at Auburn and made the best of it.

Have you ever seen anyone who handled the pressure thrown at him as well as he did last year? To win at that level in the face of that kind of pressure was a better test that the Cardinal's defensive line yesterday.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #24
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,314
Quote:
So that event defines a person? It seems that it was a turning point in his life and he's made the most of it. Do you disagree?
Who knows. Two years after the laptop and the cheating in class, there's a firestorm about taking money to go to Auburn. I can't prove it, but don't doubt it happened either. He appears to have turned the corner, but I'll let time be the ultimate judge. He's going to have a lot of temptations with that big contract money in his bank...we'll see what choices he makes going forward. My comment was simply pointing out that it was laughable that Cam has been coerced by boosters and such. He has a patchy history, and it probably cost my team a National Championship...excuse me if I don't sing his praises.
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #25
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:

5. Years from now, when you're laying there in a hospital bed dying from coronary disease...I encourage you to call Cam Newton.
If that's what you expect, why are you here?

I don't expect to have any heart issues in the near future. I did 100-km on the bicycle this past Saturday and my resting heart rate is just under 60. I'd like my age and my heart rate to match and I'm not that far off.

But, thanks for your well wishes.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #26
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwells7 View Post
Who knows. Two years after the laptop and the cheating in class, there's a firestorm about taking money to go to Auburn. I can't prove it, but don't doubt it happened either. He appears to have turned the corner, but I'll let time be the ultimate judge. He's going to have a lot of temptations with that big contract money in his bank...we'll see what choices he makes going forward. My comment was simply pointing out that it was laughable that Cam has been coerced by boosters and such. He has a patchy history, and it probably cost my team a National Championship...excuse me if I don't sing his praises.
I agree re time - we're on the same page there. What some see as arrogent is one that I see as a kid playing in a man's body and having a blast. He's got all the tools and all of the mental toughness to withstand a firestorm that would have melted others.

But, as you noted, time will tell and I have pretty high expectations that he'll never have an issue with character or class. We'll see 'eh?
Old 09-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #27
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterWheel View Post
Let's not give him his bronze sculpture in Canton just yet.
Ain't that the truth. They're putting one up of Pat Sullivan, Bo Jackson and Cam in just o/s the stadium in Auburn. .

Pat and Bo? No issue there.

Cam: way too soon.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #28
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,914
Quote:

Let there be no misunderstanding...

1. Cam Newton is a talented young football player with a bright future in professional sports.
2. More than one credible source claims he participated in the scandal.
3. There's no shortage of corruption in big business...including the NCAA.
4. Collegiate women's soccer is indeed a loser - financially.
That kind of nonsense is pretty much on par with the class I expected from you.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #29
TheVikingRider OP
mudonmymind

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterWheel View Post
Let's not give him his bronze sculpture in Canton just yet.

I know I know but man its not easy being a Panther fan (Ill take what I can get). He has a ton to prove but he showed he was very capable to be a starter in the NFL. I look forward to seein what he can do with more than 5 weeks practice.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #30
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 5,246
Quote:
"This group" ? Izzat like "you people"?

Shirley you've figured out by now that you're a member...of this group.
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: