Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
david1983xtc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Question F650GS Twin - Luggage + passenger = bent chassis ?

Hi folks!!!

I have a serious doubt that worries me!! :(

I own a F650GS Twin with a set of aluminium panniers (F800GS BMW model) and a GIVI TRK52N top case. This combo offers me a total of 130 litres of capacity.

I go camping with my girlfriend very often, so we travel with camping tent, self-inflating mattress, kitchen things, luggage... as a result, the weight that the GS has to support when we travel is near its maximum, 235kg, or even more...

The question is: is the rear sub-frame strong enought to support the cases + top case + passenger + me weight? I recently read about the rear shock bold problem... but, if the bold was not the problem, can I bent the rear sub-frame?

I don't want to switch to the 1200, and I would change rear suspension if needed... but I want to be sure that I will not have problems with the chassis

Thanks a lot!!!! :)
david1983xtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:44 AM   #2
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,154
I seriously hope not, and I doubt you could bent the frame that way on the F series. I mean if you would be on a HP2 with a weak rear frame ok but not on these. Otherwise look at all these Round the world fokes that ride with way too much on their rear.

The shock bold thing comes from a weak rear shock and some jumpin' around. So don't forget to adjust it correctly when you are loaded as stated and if you are doing this more often than seriously think about changing your rear shock since it's not designed to do a lot of 2 up with luggage.

Ok guys now is the time to flame me and to prove me that I'm wrong

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,117
(Disclaimer: What follows is just one hoser's opinion):

I'd say it is a very good bet that the German engineers did their homework, and did it conservatively, when they assigned a max. weight rating to the bike, so I don't think I would worry about bending the frame, but on the other hand, I would consider getting a top mount of the rear shock beef-up kit - either:

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-25...ort-wbolt.aspx

or Indy Unlimited's upgrade if he's still making them ...

Also, I don't think that even at max preload on the rear shock that it is going to be enough to get the rear suspension "sag" in the correct range if you are at max. load ... but try it and see...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 502
I would not worry about bending the frame at all

the weak link (by design) is the suspension system i.e. spring rate/ shock dampening...primarily the rear.

If you and your wife and baggage frequently bottom the suspension you should upgrade at least to a higher rate spring, maybe a better shock. talking to any of the name suspension source would help...I used ted porter / wilbers.

If you do bottom, that is when you put more stress on component as you are hitting reasonable hard stops( there is rubber bumpers) an these cause the loads that bend the f700 rear shock bolt which seems to be the weakest link.

If you are not bottoming....enjoy!!
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Schai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Load it up and ride

I agree that nothing will bend except maybe the bolt at the top of the rear shock. I suspect that most of these instances are from bottoming HARD while riding at a pretty good clip off road. The bike has an unusual and weak design for this bolt. (Can I say bad design??) If you are riding 2-up with gear on smooth roads, and dial in a lot of rear spring pre-load, you should not have any damage. Remember, any specs like maximum weight allow for all sorts of abuse at that weight.

The prevention or best fix that I have seen is referred to as the "Indy Kit". It is made by Dan Djokovic at d2eng@comcast.net. I believe they are $68 incl shipping. Basically, the upper shock eye with a thick rubber cushion is replaced with needle bearings that accept a larger diameter shaft/bushing which is much, much stronger in bending than the bolt.
Schai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:37 AM   #6
david1983xtc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Those are very good news!! :)

Thanks you very much for your replies. I am much more relaxed now. I will just keep an eye to the bold and will save for a new rear suspension when possible.
david1983xtc is offline   Reply With Quote