User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
azrunner OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Newbie thinking of F650GS. Price?

I'm getting the bug to get into adventure riding. I ride road and mountain bikes but haven't owned a motorcycle. My limited experience was on a scooters and a Honda C70 in college. I realized my youthfull need for speed would probably be a poor mix with a real bike back then.
I live in Tucson, AZ where we have ready access to interesting areas to explore. I see my self touring on a mix of senic paved roads and some dirt roads.
I found a 2011 F650GS with 5800 miles at a BMW dealership. Its nicely equiped with Vario cases, a Corbin leather seat, center stand, hand warmers and hand guards. The dealers come down from $10,000 to $9,250. Does this seem like a reasonable deal and bike to start out with?
What kind of budget should I figure on to get some protective gear and a good helmet?
My wife is not into the idea of me getting a bike. Any sugestions to persuade her?
Thanks,
Mark

azrunner screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 09:09 AM
azrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #2
diegosaenz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I'm no expert whatsoever but if its going to be your first big bike I would recommend a KLR 650 since you will be dropping it, rather do that on a cheaper yet good enough bike.
diegosaenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
seetomgo
d00d

Oddometer: 32
honestly, start with a used bike as you will no doubt be dropping it - especially if you seriously plan on doing any "adventure" riding. there is no reason to spend $10k on your first real bike, there are tons of better options for much less. It has already been said, but check out the klr650, dr650, dl650, etc. If you absolutely have to have a bmw, you could save a lot by buying an older f650. use the money that you save to buy decent gear.
seetomgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
G650GS Dakar is also a good option. Get a little more bang for your buck.
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrtom View Post
honestly, start with a used bike as you will no doubt be dropping it - especially if you seriously plan on doing any "adventure" riding. there is no reason to spend $10k on your first real bike, there are tons of better options for much less. It has already been said, but check out the klr650, dr650, dl650, etc. If you absolutely have to have a bmw, you could save a lot by buying an older f650. use the money that you save to buy decent gear.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:39 AM   #6
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrunner View Post
I'm getting the bug to get into adventre riding. I ride road and mountain bikes but haven't owned a motorcycle. My limited experience was on a scooters and a Honda C70 in college. I realized my youthfull need for speed would probably be a poor mix with a real bike back then.
I live in Tucson, AZ where we have ready access to interesting areas to explore. I see my self touring on a mix of senic paved roads and some dirt roads.
I found a 2011 F650GS with 5800 miles at a BMW dealership. Its nicely equiped with Vario cases, a Corbin leather seat, center stand, hand warmers and hand guards. The dealers come down from $10,000 to $9,250. Does this seem like a reasonable deal and bike to start out with?
What kind of budget should I figure on to get some protective gear and a good helmet?
My wife is not into the idea of me getting a bike. Any sugestions to persuade her/
Thanks,
Mark
The price seems high to me but the economy may be better in Tucson than it is here.
I agree with the others that it is probably to much bike to start on
I would budget 750-1000 for basic gear.
I can't help you with your wife. I have been married 35 years to three different women!
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
I would recommend you to start with a MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) class to get your license. I am an avid mountain biker and found that the F650GS rides just like a big heavy powered Santa Cruz mountain bike, all the skills you have from mountain biking is applicable such as balancing, braking, picking lines, body language, counter steer...except this sucker is big and heavy, you won't be able to stop it from dropping when it leans too much at standstill, so get your foot out the way...

Good luck with the wife :)
mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
azrunner OP
Adventurer

I appreciate all the input. It does probably make sense to start with something less expensive like a KLR650. i didn't consider the likelyhood I might be dropping the bike a few times at first. BMW seems to keep grabbing my interest. If I could find a nice Dakar that would be an option. I did find a 2012 Sertao with 1800 miles but there asking $7,000 without any extras. More of your thoughts and ideas are appreciated.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
imnsane
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I'm an older newbie with zero motorcycle experience before buying a near new F800GS. I have many notches on my grips for stop & drops, a few serious scratches on the engine guard, and 2 broken mirrors. The bike will handle a newbie with ease with only cosmetic damage. Yes, I have taken it on serious off pavement routes and taken off road spills at speed. My wife is similar in prior experience on a F650GS with numerous stop & drop with no damage. Get the BMW or you will regret it. Great machines, great support, and serious after market stuff to break you $, but it won't be the bike.
imnsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 525
I agree get what make you the most happy.

However, If you are a hard core practical persion buy a used bike first, KLR, bmw f650 single, dl650 etc. good bikes for not much money. You can learn not just riding better but determine if you are a road rider,long distance rider, a dirt road rider or some one who get his jolly bouncing off in the desert which is all around you.

How you want to ride will do more to determine what your second bike should be.

I have a BMW F650GS and love it, great on the paved roads and dirt roads.....not so good bouncing off in the desert..other are better.
I love long distance back road adventures......so it is the perfect bike for me

I have no help for you wife. Good luck!!!
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:33 AM   #11
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I appreciate all the input. It does probably make sense to start with something less expensive like a KLR650. i didn't consider the likelyhood I might be dropping the bike a few times at first. BMW seems to keep grabbing my interest. If I could find a nice Dakar that would be an option. I did find a 2012 Sertao with 1800 miles but there asking $7,000 without any extras. More of your thoughts and ideas are appreciated.
I can tell you this much, my dad had a KLR650 and I had a G650GS. The GS feels like it has twice the power and is way more stable on and off road. Even though the KLR seems like a beginner bike, it always felt extremely top heavy to me. My 800 is way easier to ride. And the brakes are crap even on the new ones. I am not saying they are bad bikes, but I think a sertao would be an awesome bike. Not to mention you will average about at least 10 more miles to the gallon than the KLR. Many times on trips to and from California on my G650GS I achieved 60 + miles to the gallon with my 55 liter BMW bag packed full, even at freeway speeds. After gearing the KLR a little taller we were always lucky to get 50 miles to the gallon.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
azrunner OP
Adventurer

I'm still pondering my choices. A local dealer has a new 2012 KLR650 marked down to $5000. I'd still be getting a longer warrantee with the 2011 F650GS. I see my self doing some 2-3 day tours so cases will be a needed add own. Does anyone else think the $9,250 asking price on the F650GS with Vario side and top cases, a Corbin seat, extended winshield and center stand is too high?
Would adding Touratech crash bars to the F650GS spare it damage from dropping it?
I'll definitely be taking a motor cycle safety course and looking into additional off road instruction?
Thanks,
Mark

azrunner screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 09:08 AM
Old 01-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
BSUCardinalfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
I'd probably start on an older 650GS over a newer one.

My wife was not into the idea of me getting a bike either, a friend's wife kinda talked her into it one day, and now she has her own license and is bike shopping. So it can happen!

As for a gear budget, go to a site like motorcyclegear.com and shop. With enough internet shopping I think you could find a helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, and boots for $500, give or take. Won't be top of the line stuff, but my experience with gear is that you'll buy what you think you need and then end up buying different stuff later anyway.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUCardinalfan View Post
I'd probably start on an older 650GS over a newer one.

My wife was not into the idea of me getting a bike either, a friend's wife kinda talked her into it one day, and now she has her own license and is bike shopping. So it can happen!

As for a gear budget, go to a site like motorcyclegear.com and shop. With enough internet shopping I think you could find a helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, and boots for $500, give or take. Won't be top of the line stuff, but my experience with gear is that you'll buy what you think you need and then end up buying different stuff later anyway.
I spent about 1000 dollars on a BMW jacket, pants, and gloves and used them for about 6 months. put a lot of miles on them but then I hit a deer so all that stuff is worthless now since the gear took all the damage. It was a good excuse for me to go buy a Rallye suit
Old 01-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm still pondering my choices. A local dealer has a new 2012 KLR650 marked down to $5000. I'd still be getting a longer warrantee with the 2011 F650GS. I see my self doing some 2-3 day tours so cases will be a needed add own. Does anyone else think the $9,250 asking price on the F650GS with Vario side and top cases, a Corbin seat, extended winshield and center stand is too high?
Would adding Touratech crash bars to the F650GS spare it damage from dropping it?
I'll definitely be taking a motor cycle safety course and looking into additional off road instruction?
Thanks,
Mark
I think the F650 would be able to take plenty of falls with the proper protection. Don't do like I did, I bought a 2012 G650GS in April and put 13,000 miles on it in less than 6 months before I traded it in on a 2013 F800GS. Luckily my dealer gave me a really good trade in price on the 650. You might as well just get the bike you want.

I am taking the Intro to Adventure course at Rawhyde Adventures in April so that is something you might consider. It's in California just north of LA. It's not cheap, but you learn offroad skills based on BMW enduro training in Germany.